Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Spring / Summer 2019 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

ECM to the west. Still too far out though. What's the highest temp at 850 ever recorded in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hyland17

What kind of weather would we be expecting in the West next week? Around mayo region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Big differences between the GFS and ECM. ECM better all round, it even has the Azores high edging over us in deep FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

patneve2 wrote: »
    Big differences between the GFS and ECM. ECM better all round, it even has the Azores high edging over us in deep FI.

I’d trust the ECM over the GFS any day. Let’s hope the continental influence will stay with us and the Atlantic fronts stay out in the Atlantic. We need proper sustained warmth after the mostly cool May and June.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

patneve2 wrote: »

There again this evening, Summer might not be cancelled after all!

anim_uyj4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ECM looking rather warm and settled for later next week:

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

GFS also having a go at extending the Azores high towards us:

GFSOPEU06_234_1.png

uppers looking warm by 6th of July, possibly sending temperatures back into the low to mid 20s

GFSOPEU06_288_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Plentiful high pressure again on ECM 12z for early July.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We will probably do better in the first half of July than the current glancing blow with warmth which probably isn't enough to save this June from being generally a very poor month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So it looks like yan sno may have been right in his prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

So it looks like yan sno may have been right in his prediction.

Could you remind me what he said, could not find his comment going back!
    Be interested to know, i recall him being very accurate on snow chances last winter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Could you remind me what he said, could not find his comment going back!
    Be interested to know, i recall him being very accurate on snow chances last winter!

If i'm not mistaken, he said June would be a cool and unsettled month, overall, but it should begin to settle down going into July. As you mention he was right about winter too, despite all the promising forecasts of prolonged cold.

If i'm not mistaken, he said June would be a cool and unsettled month, overall, but it should begin to settle down going into July. As you mention he was right about winter too, despite all the promising forecasts of prolonged cold.

and the first half of July in shaping up pretty nicely, looks mostly dry too. July 6th to 11th looks particularly nice.

GFSOPEU12_300_1.png

GFSOPEU12_324_1.png

UKMO looks nice and settled even on the 2nd of July

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

this mornings GFS run is not pretty. After a few warmish days this week, things go cool for the beginning of next week. Northern Blocking looks like it's intensifying again and we finish up mid month with this horrible chart.

GFSOPEU06_384_1.png

Looks very cool and deeply unsettled by the mid month.

For a good while, it's looking anticyclonic but on the relatively cool side which is an unusual combination in summer. High pressure blocking the Atlantic but far out west enough to disallow us from pulling in warmer air. Scandinavia looks like having quite a cold start to July.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    For a good while, it's looking anticyclonic but on the relatively cool side which is an unusual combination in summer. High pressure blocking the Atlantic but far out west enough to disallow us from pulling in warmer air. Scandinavia looks like having quite a cold start to July.

looks cool for us too from next Monday and this continues to the very end of the run with temperatures running below average. UK looks very chilly next week, maybe 3 to 4C below normal.

GFSOPEU06_168_34.png

If you want warm summer weather, I would stay far away from this morning's GFS 06z. One of the worst summer runs I have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

If you want warm summer weather, I would stay far away from this morning's GFS 06z. One of the worst summer runs I have seen.

really?? :( kicking in from when? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

It was ever thus.

It really seems like we are being kicked in the teeth for any sort of interesting weather we had last year, between the unrelentingly mild winter and now a fairly horrible summer. The Irish weather really has a way of balancing out the good and the bad.

Seems fairly average for the next few days I suppose.

If these runs continue into the end of July and beginning to August, then it could be curtains for the summer, but we'll see. This summer stinks of 2012 already.

We can only hope end of July and August see's an improvement to save summer, for now enjoy the next 4 to 5 days of settled conditions, looks very unsettled as next week goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A lot of pessimism and sh!te runs over the last week for sure, but last night's 0z runs of both the GFS and ECM show decent potential, with the FI frames of the ECM 0z showing some proper high pressure and the GFS 0z sort of flirting with it, enough that we would certainly get a good amount of sunny weather if they were to verify. Fingers crossed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

A lot of pessimism and sh!te runs over the last week for sure, but last night's 0z runs of both the GFS and ECM show decent potential, with the FI frames of the ECM 0z showing some proper high pressure and the GFS 0z sort of flirting with it, enough that we would certainly get a good amount of sunny weather if they were to verify. Fingers crossed...

A bit of hope...it's all I need!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

The pattern lately seems to be a long term trend of cooler than average weather but it’s actually not happening.
    The models seems to change back to warm and settled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

pad199207 wrote: »
    The pattern lately seems to be a long term trend of cooler than average weather but it’s actually not happening.
    The models seems to change back to warm and settled

Noticed that too.
    And as always - the trend is your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hope they do verify

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

How does it stop the warm air physically Sryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

So what are today's charts telling us for next week/weekend?

eon1208 wrote: »
    How does it stop the warm air physically Sryan.

Here's a very simple diagram of three different dry weather scenarios for summer in Ireland.

The first one is of the pattern that gives us cool and dry (an unusual combination that very few summer months have like Summer 1981, July 2011 or June 2015). Why there is no way to pull up warmer air from the south or southeast is due to the alignment of the high pressure system. In the Northern Hemisphere, winds go clockwise around high pressure and anticlockwise around low pressure - it's the opposite way round in the Southern Hemisphere. With the high pressure centred to our west/southwest though ridging in somewhat over Ireland (allowing it to be mainly dry), the wind comes from a northerly to northwesterly direction drawing in polar maritime air from the North Atlantic. This is never a particularly warm direction.

The second one shows very anticyclonic conditions with high pressure centred over top of the country. This scenario is warm and dry usually if there is a warm air mass contained within the high pressure and if it sticks around for a few days, the air will tend to warm up as the sun shines. Sometimes, there can be easterly winds on its southerly flank which will give away to hot conditions in the west whilst relatively cooler in the east affected by sea breezes. This pattern was what we had during much of May to July 2018. Many classic summers like 1947, 1955, 1975, 1976 and 1995 also have such a pattern.

The third one shows high pressure centred a bit further northwards and northeastwards with slacker gradients indicating lower pressure over the Bay of Biscay. This leaves us pulling in a very warm to hot southeasterly wind which will result in tropical continental air filtering into Ireland. A good few of our hot spells or heatwaves also have this pattern, most notably July 1983. However, with the slacker gradients to our southwest and the hot air becoming unstable, there is the possibility of thunderstorms. This is the pattern that models were projecting for late June 2019's warm spell over a week before.

TXudTXB.png

lawred2 wrote: »
    So what are today's charts telling us for next week/weekend?

All continues to look very benign. Increasing risk of showers through the week as the atmosphere becomes less stable with the UK and Ireland in what is known as a "col" where there is no particularly low or high pressure but prospect for high pressure to build back in by the weekend.

How we're getting away with such a benign and dry pattern whilst there's lots of Greenland blocking is quite fascinating. The weird summer of 2019 continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally while I love a bit of warm or hot sunny weather as much as anyone, I'll happily take the cool and dry scenario - just don't piss rain all over us :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looks like the most normal July in a long time.

Worryingly when we get Northwesterlies as we did today, it is not 14c like it used be but 18c(in Sligo).

Look out for the next Southerly Summer

30c will definitely be breached regularly

Advertisement