Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIS people returning thread - no Lisa Smith talk (21/12/19)

• 14-02-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

So one of the three British teenagers who went to join ISIS at 15 has turned up at a refugee camp four years later and said she wants to return home. She is nine months pregnant with her third child, the first two supposedly dying of malnutrition, and wants to return to London in order to access the NHS.

Initially I sympathised with these girls, thinking they’d been groomed online and brainwashed and had made a terrible mistake but listening to the interview with the woman here - it’s chilling. She’s now a 19 year old woman, saying she regrets nothing, how severed heads in the bin unfazed her as “they were enemies of Islam” and how she “saluted” those remaining in the last bit of ISIS territory.

As far as I’m concerned she should be bloody left out there, but a mate of mine who fought against ISIS was opposed to this correctly asking why the Kurds should have put up with these foreign maniacs?

Unbelievable that some people are suggesting we should be tolerant or sympathetic to this woman.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/14/shamima-begum-friends-kadiza-sultana-amira-abase-joined-isis-syria

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The only reason I'd let her back is if she had any worthwhile intelligence to offer on any crazies, other than that leave her in the pig pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Seems a no brainer to me, and a classic case of "you've made your bed, now lie in it".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did she not have travel inshurdance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭Damien360

She is coming back to have her baby under the care of the NHS. Ridiculous that she wants to support the very thing that destroys democracy and then wants to avail of the good services paid by taxpayers of said democracy. She should be refused admission or at the very least incarcerated for membership of an illegal organisation.

Mixed feelings in this. She was only a kid and should be given a chance, but it does seem like she is unrepentant.

I’m pretty sure she will make it back to London and be given some help, but as was said, she needs to be kept very low key to avoid being a magnet for crazies, be they the jihad type or BNP type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Wow, this story is about to blow up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭jack of all

Off with her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,913 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How would they treat a male who did what she did?

Can see her getting special treatment cos she's a female

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Aegir wrote: »
    Mixed feelings in this. She was only a kid and should be given a chance, but it does seem like she is unrepentant.

I’m pretty sure she will make it back to London and be given some help, but as was said, she needs to be kept very low key to avoid being a magnet for crazies, be they the jihad type or BNP type.

Mate if she had her hands up saying, “I was groomed, it was awful. What a terrible decision I made. This is dire etc etc” I’d suggest treating her with compassion. But she isn’t.

Some people seem to be looking at the silly 15 year old on the camera stills and not listening to the adult in front of them condoning beheadings and saluting ISIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Probably train the child to be a suicide bomber when back, and I'm not joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The UK really needs to check themselves and here too.

We are way to soft and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

What sort of life did these three 15 year old girls have in London, to believe that moving to a war zone and marrying soldiers they had never met would bring fulfillment?

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bring her back, look after the child and give it every chance in life.

And give her a long holiday at her majesty's pleasure.

dilallio wrote: »
    What sort of life did these three 15 year old girls have in London, to believe that moving to a war zone and marrying soldiers they had never met would bring fulfillment?

Normal enough from what I can gather. A lot of these jihadis come from moderate and normal families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

She's an unrepentant Islam extremist so let her stew in her own ****. If you want to take advantage of western modernity leave your superstitions in the backwards hellhole they belong.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Mate if she had her hands up saying, “I was groomed, it was awful. What a terrible decision I made. This is dire etc etc” I’d suggest treating her with compassion. But she isn’t.

Some people seem to be looking at the silly 15 year old on the camera stills and not listening to the adult in front of them condoning beheadings and saluting ISIS

I know, she was quite chilling. Does a country just dump an 18 year old girl though?

Like I said, I have mixed feelings in this, maybe I’m just looking at this from the perspective of a father with a daughter a similar age to what she was when she went.

She's an unrepentant Islam extremist so let her stew in her own ****. If you want to take advantage of western modernity leave your superstitions in the backwards hellhole they belong.

Why should the Kurds have to put up with mad Brits and French and Bosnians? I wouldn’t blame them for wanting to send them all home.

Preferably in a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dilallio wrote: »

A good strict islamic one I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

awec wrote: »
    Bring her back, look after the child and give it every chance in life.

And give her a long holiday at her majesty's pleasure.

That is exactly what to do, her child is the innocent party in all this. A message needs sending out - if you sign up for the end of days expect to end your days in a hail gunfire or a cell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I’m not sure if anyone here watched the BBC series The State last year (highly recommend) but this reminds me of that.

She should be allowed come back to have her baby (perhaps even in a prison) but then the baby should remain with her family who seem to be anti-ISIS and she should then be sent back out to that desert hell. She is a danger to her country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Seeing heads that had been hacked off innocent people and thrown in a bin didn't faze her. No way she should be allowed back in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭LeBash

In the 90s the Brits refused to try to get their own journalists back that were captured during wars but this girl went off willingly to join ISIS and will get back.

They should offer to take the child back and give it the care it needs. No need to take her back with some of those quotes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

The Kurds should just execute any Isis fighters they capture.

It’s the lack of remorse that annoys me. She comes across as educated too so can’t play the silly little girl role. She still believes that her actions are justified.

As a British citizen she cannot be refused entry but there will be nobody going in to save her either. She’s got to make her own way to a safe country first so I doubt (at 9 months pregnant) she will be giving birth under the supervision of the NHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Meanwhile in Bethnal Green

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/14/let-shamima-begum-come-back-say-bethnal-green-residents
    Shakil, 18, a student who didn’t want to give his last name, on Thursday said Begum should be welcomed home. “She should feel safe to live here. She should get protection from the police from people who might not want her back.”

The dozen people who spoke to Guardian in Bethnal Green all said Begum should be allowed to return home.

Amina Mohamed, 52, a housewife, who has lived in the area for 16 years, said: “I was so shocked when I heard she went to Syria. She’s quite young and she’s a girl. I was so worried about her. She was a baby, she didn’t know what was going on there. People played a game with her and brainwashed her. She was a child.”

She added the government should do all it could to bring Begum back to east London. “It wasn’t just her decision to go, they tricked her. It’s not her fault. No one can make such a decision when they’re 15.”

Salaga, 49, also a housewife, said the government could not ignore the fact Begum was just 15 when she left to join the Isis in Syria.

“When she went to Syria, she was underage. She didn’t know what was right or what was wrong. The government should help her come back. If she was over the age of 18 when she initially went, I wouldn’t be calling for her to come back. But she was a child.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

“When she went to Syria, she was underage. She didn’t know what was right or what was wrong. The government should help her come back. If she was over the age of 18 when she initially went, I wouldn’t be calling for her to come back. But she was a child.”

Every word of that is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

She should be made completely stateless ,let the Kurds deal with her or shoot her in back of the head,
    Her and the many others like her are not Victims here ,

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Poor baby is probably only in her, for an attempt to get pity and a return to the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gatling wrote: »
    She should be made completely stateless ,let the Kurds deal with her or shoot her in back of the head,

The UK should break international law?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement