Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Summer Visitors

Options
  • 07-04-2018 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭

Working on the farm this morning and stopped for a mug of tea. Looked up and our first swallow of the year. Makes you feel good.
    Co. Leitrim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

1 Swallow passed over on Thursday.

A nice few Willow Warbler's singing this evening.

Plenty of bumble bees on the tips of the willow tree's collecting pollen.

And a bit of heat off the sun today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

A couple of Martins - viewed a long way off - here today. Spring has finally sprung - hopefully. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Everything very late - only had Chiffchaffs late last week while had first Swallow 2day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

1 Swallow passed over on Thursday.

A nice few Willow Warbler's singing this evening.

Plenty of bumble bees on the tips of the willow tree's collecting pollen.

And a bit of heat off the sun today.
    Is this a Haiku poem?
    You're a poet, even if you don't know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Heard and saw my first Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs of the season today, yay!

• Advertisement

Chiffchaff here too yesterday.

Might have another poem by the end of the week at this rate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Have had a Chiffchaff/Willow Warbler visiting the bottom of the garden for the last 2 weeks. I just can't tell which it is and it won't sing for me to identify itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Spotted a couple of swallows in Swords on Monday morning :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the hedgehogs in the garden decided to wake up this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looking forward to this my first summer here on an Atlantic island . Already the seals are back from deep fishing waters, following the ferry to watch us. A friend is sending me binoculars

Seen puffins and shags ..lark going utterly rapturous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

hadn't seen either swallow or terns up to the first of April , was away for a week then . Lots of terns have arrived around the kilmore and wexford harbour in that week , still no sign of a swallow
    saw a pair of sea eagles while away , thrilled with that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

A few Swallows in Roscommon over the weekend too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Again, not a visitor per se, but we're standing on the bank of the nore directly below kilkenny castle and there are bats hunting overhead. First I've seen this year.

Heh. 30 seconds after I posted that, my wife spotted what was the first of two otters swimming down the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Sand Martins are back today inspecting their stone wall nest site. They managed two broods last year so here's hoping! I really must try to get some better footage this time.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103793561&postcount=295

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Thought I might have vaguely sensed a Cuckoo in the distance yesterday but definitely heard him this morning! East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heard the cuckoo this morning. Loud and very proud. And he's brought something with him. Sunshine.:-)
    Leitrim.

Will miss the cuckoo; I get the impression we will not get cuckoos, swallows etc out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Graces7 wrote: »
    Will miss the cuckoo; I get the impression we will not get cuckoos, swallows etc out here?

Whereabouts are ya Graces?.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not a sign of any summer migrants here in the North East. Swallows usually arrive between 1st and 6th April and the latest I have in my records was 20th April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

First Swallows and Sand Martins here today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Not a sign of any summer migrants here in the North East. Swallows usually arrive between 1st and 6th April and the latest I have in my records was 20th April.

We have Swallows here just south of Drogheda so depending on how far North in the North East you are it shouldn't be long before you see one.

Whereabouts are ya Graces?.....

Offshore island West Mayo. Very exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Just spotted the first one arriving. Deligted to see it (tempered by the fact that my shed will soon be covered in ****e again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

My first swallow arrived back to my shed about 2 weeks ago near Athlone, still no sign of any others yet. They performed really well last year rearing two broods in my shed.

Heard the Cuckoo twice today from two different directions but not at the same time so hopefully there are at least 2 around.

Happy out now. Always worry that that beautiful sound will vanish from our countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It has now set a new 39 year record for the late arrival swallows here. I have yet to see one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It has now set a new 39 year record for the late arrival swallows here. I have yet to see one.

I've been gazing at the sky for several weeks, wondering where on earth they could be here in North Offaly. An hour ago, a pair landed on the phone line outside my sitting room window! Delighted... Summer is finally here too!
    Heard the first chiffchaff earlier this week, and keeping an ear out for the cuckoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Firat swallow of the year here in Carlow today. Also had first sighting of a bat over the weekend. Won't be long until my house is mobbed by both depending on the time of day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

pawrick wrote: »
    My first swallow arrived back to my shed about 2 weeks ago near Athlone, still no sign of any others yet. They performed really well last year rearing two broods in my shed.

2 more appeared in the garden yesterday. Only one in my shed at night however when i checked.

Advertisement