Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy1507

User2206 wrote: »
    I’m going to just bite the bullet and go do it now! I’m quite nervous about the calculations part!

Go over the practice one a couple of times to get you head in the right place and youl fly it.
    Good luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Paddy1507 wrote: »
    Go over the practice one a couple of times to get you head in the right place and youl fly it.
    Good luck .

I’ve been practising all week! Haven’t been doing too bad on them. Just the nerves kicking in now haha thanks, best of luck to you too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Caoimhe2

@julygirl105 I know maths was terrible for me but I think the other 2 parts I did ok but as you said the other 2 parts hopefully will pull us through...yep very quiet here they probably just have a certain number of people they need now at this late stage and I applied on the 2nd last date before they closed it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

How did the verbal reasoning go?

Ye, I thought that was fine..(I hope it went fine at least) but as I said the maths I completely blanked out..

Caoimhe2 wrote: »
    @julygirl105 I know maths was terrible for me but I think the other 2 parts I did ok but as you said the other 2 parts hopefully will pull us through...yep very quiet here they probably just have a certain number of people they need now at this late stage and I applied on the 2nd last date before they closed it

I was so annoyed with myself after the maths. I knew how to do them all but just froze..
    I think 150 recruits they are looking for.. sonid imagine if say 1000 applied they take the top scoring 150 to next stage and put the rest on the back burner in case of drops outs etc..

• Advertisement

I’ve been practising all week! Haven’t been doing too bad on them. Just the nerves kicking in now haha thanks, best of luck to you too :)

Good luck with it..

I found the verbal reasoning tricky enuf but the maths was Ok, hopefully enough to get thru

It seems like everyone had a section they felt they fell down on.. so hopefully the other 2 will pull us all thru..

What did you all think of the job situations part? It gave a good insight into the job and day to day duties.

I was so annoyed with myself after the maths. I knew how to do them all but just froze..
    I think 150 recruits they are looking for.. sonid imagine if say 1000 applied they take the top scoring 150 to next stage and put the rest on the back burner in case of drops outs etc..

I know same here I am raging with myself but look nothing i can do now just cross my fingers and hope for the best. Well 150 isn't bad I'm sure we still have a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MCBRENNAN

Anyone have any idea how many people applied ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Shay2114

Calculation section i found a nigtmare,panic when so little time.Think I did ok in the rest.Dont know if many found the calculation section hard but not confident of reaching stage 2 now.All I can do is hope alot feel the same & we get another chance in stage 2.

Shay2114 wrote: »
    Calculation section i found a nigtmare,panic when so little time.Think I did ok in the rest.Dont know if many found the calculation section hard but not confident of reaching stage 2 now.All I can do is hope alot feel the same & we get another chance in stage 2.

Yes I found calculations a nightmare also.. not feeling confident on reaching stage 2 either but you never know lol the waiting is terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shaneraff

Be positive everyone, id imagine there will be a lot of weight to the scenario questions as they seem to want a particular type of person and are confident they can look after the skills in training. Best of luck to all of you.

I found the verbal reasoning tricky enuf but the maths was Ok, hopefully enough to get thru

Just curious, did you find the course you did helpful?

Just curious, did you find the course you did helpful?

I paid €80 for an online course, I found it very helpful with the maths, I would of failed without it

I paid €80 for an online course, I found it very helpful with the maths, I would of failed without it

Didn’t realise there was online courses, prob could have done with doing one for the maths myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do an English course next :p

I think the likes of the logical reasoning and the maths tests are to see how you cope under pressure to be honest, I've heard it said that they don't fully expect you to complete them all but rather to see how you adapt.

The group exercises where they give you a scenario to work out often doesn't have a black and white, right or wrong answer. They want to see how your problem solving ability is and how you communicate with others.

So do you mean, if you crash & burn in the maths it's still possible to get through to stage 2?

I done very similar tests for the Garda and in order for me to qualify for stage 2 I had to reach a certain mark to qualify for the next round but that was in each test eg verbal reasoning was a minimum of 380 marks and I got 400 so just barely qualified and the job simulation you needed to get a minimum of 410 and I got 580 so I qualified but as far as I’m aware if you don’t meet the qualifying mark in each test you don’t qualify no matter how good you do in other 2!

Not good news for me so,just wish i could turn back time.I wonder did many apply for the job?

• Advertisement

Doesn’t sound good for me either so. We will just have to wait and see what happens..

Any idea when they let you know?

I’d say maybe 2 weeks from now! It’s a very drawn out process!

How did you find the tests?I suppose at this stage all i can do is hope they dont judge me on 1 bad test.best of luck to all

How did you find the tests?I suppose at this stage all i can do is hope they dont judge me on 1 bad test.best of luck to all

I thought they were okay! Kinda panicked on 3 or 4 of the calculations questions so I’m hoping I done well in the other equations to compensate! It’s hard to tell with the verbal reasoning tho :o

Stage 2 for the first batch is in April so hopefully in the next week or 2

I found as the equations got longer i started to rush & made stupid erorrs on the calculator this made me get into a panic.The short ones ok but the long ones killed me on the time.Gutted

If we make it to the next stage am I right in thinking we have more assessments but in an exam setting??

If we make it to the next stage am I right in thinking we have more assessments but in an exam setting??

Ye something similar to the online assessment I would imagine

• Advertisement

Ye something similar to the online assessment I would imagine

Ugh, the ones at home were nerve wracking enough..

Advertisement