Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Infoanon wrote: »
    Iirc Jaguar were due to run in British racing green but had to change to a different shade of green as they found the British racing green added weight to the car !

As an aside the notion of Aston Martin racing point becoming regular race winners next year is pie in the sky imho

I think jaguar was going to have iridescent paint. So,ot would change colour depending on what angle you saw it from and it would change colour as it drive past you. But the paint was heavy so they scrapped it.

No reason to think Aston will win races any more than thinking they will win races this year. The Aston Martin connection is just a name and branding change. It's the same as when BWT took over as main sponsor and they changed the livery. So it will be the same in every respect except the name and livery.

AMKC wrote: »
    No one said that but maybe they will win a few races.

Yes the British do like to brag about things like that alright as if they invented it or something.

Lads, if Ireland had a comparable racing heritage, we'd brag about it too. Nothing wrong with the Brits being proud of their racing and motoring history.

We're all pretty partial to Jordan GP and the only permanent Irish thing about it was the owner. It was still based in England and probably had almost all English staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

Isn't British Racing Green a tribute to Ireland and the Gordon Bennet Route?
    If I recall racing was banned in the Uk and as a result it was held here and the green was a tribute to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

No one said that but maybe they will win a few races.

Skipper G post above that you thanked !

Yes the British do like to brag about things like that alright as if they invented it or something.

Aston Martin coupling with British Racing green is a marketing exercise - nothing more nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Killinator wrote: »
    Isn't British Racing Green a tribute to Ireland and the Gordon Bennet Route?
    If I recall racing was banned in the Uk and as a result it was held here and the green was a tribute to that.

Yes. And there is no exact shade of green that is British racing green. The colour on the racing Bentleys was much lighter than the green on Jaguars.

Original colour was called Shamrock green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rock22 wrote:
    Yes. And there is no exact shade of green that is British racing green. The colour on the racing Bentleys was much lighter than the green on Jaguars.

Where was the racing held here?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Where was the racing held here?

That's some track in fairness, you can imagine what those road surfaces were like too.

On the green, I always liked the Jag livery expect for the massive HSBC logos. From the airbox to the exhaust looked amazing, particular in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

barryribs wrote:
    That's some track in fairness, you can imagine what those road surfaces were like too.

Jesus, that's interesting, never knew that, thank you
    barryribs wrote:
    On the green, I always liked the Jag livery expect for the massive HSBC logos. From the airbox to the exhaust looked amazing, particular in the sun.

Always loved racing green, lovely colour

barryribs wrote: »

I've often driven past signs for the Gordon Bennett route and never knew what it was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

I've often driven past signs for the Gordon Bennett route and never knew what it was about.

Its a shame that they don't make more of it, particularly for Carlow and Laois who wouldn't have much tourism. It would be nice to have something to honor our motorsport history

• Advertisement

barryribs wrote: »
    Its a shame that they don't make more of it, particularly for Carlow and Laois who wouldn't have much tourism. It would be nice to have something to honor our motorsport history

Couldn't agree more. The signs I see for the Bennett route in Laois are less than 10 min drive from the Rock of Dunamase which has some great history and grest views. It's story involves the reason the Norman's came to Ireland in force in the first place, hence British rule in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Proper information here.
    http://www.gordonbennettroute.com/

Hasn't been updated in ages but still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see Sergio Perez might be going to Haas next year and there is rumours of Mich Schumacher going there too. Could be all change at Haas.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I see Sergio Perez might be going to Haas next year and there is rumours of Mich Schumacher going there too. Could be all change at Haas.

Schumacher also mentioned for the second seat at Alfa - either way a clear out at Haas appears likely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I predict a podium for Danny Ricc on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Probably one or the other. They are maybe adding a second name to get a better deal on the other name.

Who knows though?

Anything concrete or reliable even?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

OSI wrote: »
    Ah, but no issue with Alpine running Bleu de France next year, no? :rolleyes:

Haha, yeah, you caught me, I don't like the British. Well done detective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Grosjean is done in F1. Would like to see Magnussen stay on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,147 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Supposedly its Mick to Alfa and Schwartzman to Haas. Schwartzman will bring some sponsorship money and Ferrari are considering an engine deal with Haas (like Russell's with Merc/Williams) to complete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So Hulkenberg just left out in the cold again?
    He might want to start talking to Formula E teams so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

flazio wrote: »

Hulkenburg should move on from F1.

flazio wrote: »

Yeah but we know what Hulk is. He's ok and he's pretty safe, but only ok speed-wise. He would be a good choice as a pay driver but for some reason he has always struggled to get big sponsorship behind him.

If you look at the other pay drivers on the grid you have the Williams boys with Latifi for cash, Russell in exchange for engines and antonio giovinazzi also in exchange for engines and Kubica as a reserve driver for cash. They need serious backing if they don't have speed or the prospect of improving. I just don't think Hulk has that backing and he only has ok speed and he has little prospect of improving in to a top driver.

He had loads of time in F1 and never really impressed beyond being... ok

Comes across as a nice guy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

pjohnson wrote: »
    Supposedly its Mick to Alfa and Schwartzman to Haas. Schwartzman will bring some sponsorship money and Ferrari are considering an engine deal with Haas (like Russell's with Merc/Williams) to complete it.

Not sure Schwartzman is ready for F1 myself, he's talented yes but still learning. Unless he wins the F2 championship, I don't think he will get an F1 seat next season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hulk should head to Indycar. Formula E isn't fast enough for his talent.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Callum Illot has been mentioned for Haas but it sounds more wishful thinking than anything concrete

Another howler from Vettel. At least it didn't cost him many places as he was unlikely to make it out of Q2. The nightmare continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

Another howler from Vettel. At least it didn't cost him many places as he was unlikely to make it out of Q2. The nightmare continues.

You sound happy that Vettel is struggling . Why cant you be just happy that Hamilton is winning without kicking someone when they’re down.?

mun1 wrote: »
    You sound happy that Vettel is struggling . Why cant you be just happy that Hamilton is winning without kicking someone when they’re down.?

I'm not happy about it. It's an accurate observation of what's happening. I like Vettel, as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yeah but we know what Hulk is. He's ok and he's pretty safe, but only ok speed-wise. He would be a good choice as a pay driver but for some reason he has always struggled to get big sponsorship behind him.

If you look at the other pay drivers on the grid you have the Williams boys with Latifi for cash, Russell in exchange for engines and antonio giovinazzi also in exchange for engines and Kubica as a reserve driver for cash. They need serious backing if they don't have speed or the prospect of improving. I just don't think Hulk has that backing and he only has ok speed and he has little prospect of improving in to a top driver.

He had loads of time in F1 and never really impressed beyond being... ok

Comes across as a nice guy though.

For once I 100% agree with this your post about Hulk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

vectra wrote: »
    For once I 100% agree with this your post about Hulk.
    Fred Vasseur likes him which could be significant. I think Raikkonen is gone completely. He should have retired upon leaving Ferrari. Giovinazzi will retain a seat as long as Ferrari are supplying the engines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement