Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a field with a large area of thistles in it, has been sprayed and will be ploughed tomorrow, will these thistles have to be topped first or can they be ploughed straight in to the ground. The reason I ask is because I don't have access to a topper if they have to be removed

No need whatsoever to top, they'll disappear undertow sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

DJ98 wrote: »
    I don't think so, they have been sprayed off over 3 weeks and are well dead at this stage

If dead then plough away

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Reggie. wrote: »
    What type of slurry

Sorry Reggie, normal cattle slurry with splash plate and watery.

grange mac wrote: »
    Sorry Reggie, normal cattle slurry with splash plate and watery.

You could have burned the seed. Just a possibility

You could have burned the seed. Just a possibility

Yeah doubt it but unsure. Contractor said I'm not only one this year complaining of it. He getting service man down take look at his seeder as all 4 people he done it for had massive failure rates. To me if it goes out, it should grow. Unless slugs... Only difference this year is vol rain we got on South West Country had been shocking... I'll just go at it with wagtail next year as too late now.
    Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

grange mac wrote: »
    Yeah doubt it but unsure. Contractor said I'm not only one this year complaining of it. He getting service man down take look at his seeder as all 4 people he done it for had massive failure rates. To me if it goes out, it should grow. Unless slugs... Only difference this year is vol rain we got on South West Country had been shocking... I'll just go at it with wagtail next year as too late now.
    Thanks anyway.

What machine was used? Drill or stitcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't think you are still too late. Depends what you want to set and what the ground looks like. Knock up a bit of soil with a harrow, wagtail trailing a bit of sally and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Water John wrote: »
    Don't think you are still too late. Depends what you want to set and what the ground looks like. Knock up a bit of soil with a harrow, wagtail trailing a bit of sally and roll.

Agreed, temperatures are in the 20s and prg will come away fine for another few weeks easy on any brown earth. Just put in plenty seed.

What mac
    hine was used? Drill or stitcher?

An air stitcher, machine is new and seller is taking a look at it this week as still under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Redstart sown here 15th August. Up 4 inches now. Great growth weather to get it going.

Taken this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great, mine's peeping up now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭High bike

Taken this evening
    we put ours in the same time and got 2 weeks rain straight away so couldn't roll.Got the fert out after 3 weeks and its coming away grand now with the heat for the last couple of weeks I'll put a pic up tomorrow.

Well at least I got the reseed right this year

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

If you are going clearing off land for reseeding with a digger, is it necessary to spray it first?
    Land is currently under rushes, briars, gorse etc along with intervals of grass/weeds.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    If you are going clearing off land for reseeding with a digger, is it necessary to spray it first?
    Land is currently under rushes, briars, gorse etc along with intervals of grass/weeds.

Nah. I'd spray after

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Have some neglected land that I'm planning on reseeding in the next few years. ph is currently 5.7 so it'll need 2 splits of lime to get the ph to 6.3. Should I get the land to 6.3 before I think about reseeding it, or should I put the second split of lime out during the reseeding? It's getting 2ton/ ac this week.

Have some neglected land that I'm planning on reseeding in the next few years. ph is currently 5.7 so it'll need 2 splits of lime to get the ph to 6.3. Should I get the land to 6.3 before I think about reseeding it, or should I put the second split of lime out during the reseeding? It's getting 2ton/ ac this week.

What will it take to get it to the 6.3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I find that the first two ton brings it up a lot, Maybe to well over six, but if you don't follow it up within the two years it goes down quick too

4 ton/acre

4 ton/acre

You could give it 2 ton now and reseed in the spring. You would have to wait another year to give it another 2 ton bit the ground might be tender after bring reseeded tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is it a mineral soil or a peaty type soil?

Mineral soils can be brought up to 6.3, assuming there's no molybdenum problems in the area. Around 6 to 6.1 if there is.

Peaty soils should only be taken up to 5.9.

Is it a mineral soil or a peaty type soil?

Mineral soils can be brought up to 6.3, assuming there's no molybdenum problems in the area. Around 6 to 6.1 if there is.

Peaty soils should only be taken up to 5.9.

Most of it would be a good sandy soil apart from an acre down the end which would be peaty type soil. I was just thinking I'd be better off get to the correct ph before reseeding to ensure that the growth of the new sward wouldnt be stunted in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Most of it would be a good sandy soil apart from an acre down the end which would be peaty type soil. I was just thinking I'd be better off get to the correct ph before reseeding to ensure that the growth of the new sward wouldnt be stunted in any way.

You'll probably need two different grass mixtures in the two different soil types, I learned that the hard way.

You should be OK with everything as regards lime but the peaty acre should be kept lower than the rest of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Have a bit of rough mountain ground here. An old bank that was covered in bushes. With a lot of elbow grease got rid of all the bushes. Spread a good bit of time on this ground. Can't drive a tractor on it so any spreading, seed, lime, feet, has to be spread with hand.

Anyway, lots of bushes coming on the hill again and wondering what is best to keep them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

joe35 wrote: »
    Have a bit of rough mountain ground here. An old bank that was covered in bushes. With a lot of elbow grease got rid of all the bushes. Spread a good bit of time on this ground. Can't drive a tractor on it so any spreading, seed, lime, feet, has to be spread with hand.

Anyway, lots of bushes coming on the hill again and wondering what is best to keep them down.

I used Brushwood Killer years ago, It worked well, killed blackthorn and furze. Don't know if it's still on the market,

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Just googled it now. Still available, thanks wrangler

Just wondering does anyone know if you can stitch kale in without power harrowing or would it be a waste of time??

Whats the procedure u use Reggie?

• Advertisement

Advertisement