Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

a148pro wrote: »
    Another factor is that people's patience (and fear) is wearing thin. By Winter, particularly with no clear end in sight a lot of younger people in particular may say come what may, I'm going.

I have to say, and I think I'm a bit more cautious than a lot of my peers, but I find it hard to see myself not going this year, absent some clear evidence of a risk in flying which has not heretofore been shown as far as I'm aware? And if I could find a good chairlift option and just do take away food I think I'd be happy.

As long as I don’t have to quarantine for two weeks I’m going to go.
    I’m in my 40’s but I am fit and healthy as are my family. I’d avoid going anywhere near my parents or any others at risk when I came home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Although watching the news tonight, Israel, UK, france, spain all experiencing massive numbers, making me want to stay in the bunker

But now for some good news - there's snow in the forecast apparently!

a148pro wrote: »
    Although watching the news tonight, Israel, UK, france, spain all experiencing massive numbers, making me want to stay in the bunker

But now for some good news - there's snow in the forecast apparently!

Loads of it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

maddness wrote: »
    Loads of it too!

Dunno whether that's good or bad news :( Imagine looking at the webcams and the snow is epic, but you can't go skiing. If I can't go I think I'd prefer to see loads of green on the mountains. At least I could console myself I'm not missing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Jizique

Massive dump in Austria.
    Meanwhile Germany has just declared Tirol to be a risk area, meaning quarantine requirement on return; this will destroy the season and the locals are seriously worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Same in Vorarlberg at the moment in Austria, you need a test before you can enter Germany.

Jizique wrote: »
    Massive dump in Austria.
    Meanwhile Germany has just declared Tirol to be a risk area, meaning quarantine requirement on return; this will destroy the season and the locals are seriously worried.

I assume they're reacting to the 14 day numbers or whatever, like they declared Dublin? Looks like it'll begin to pay for areas to lock down to get their numbers down, to get more tourists in (to get their numbers back up!)

https://planetski.eu/2020/09/25/france-unveils-what-resorts-will-look-like-next-winter/

Basically - wear a mask, observe social distancing. Not really that inspiring or reassuring it has to be said. But I suppose what else can they do?

Yeah, I had the same reaction to the Ischgl guidelines. They lead with a large orange 'Safety is our top priority!' but there is little or nothing then in the subsequent description to really give you a sense of confidence.

As much as the fresh snow on top of the mountains over the last days is a sight for sore eyes, it is still very difficult to fathom how it is going to work out. It will take just one confirmed case at one of the large resorts to cause complete panic, which is surely going to happen in any case, no matter how careful people are, or what regulations are put in place. Austria is also very much in the midst of a corona hot phase at the moment too, with the situation tending to worse rather than better.

In general I do not think those in their 30's or younger will be too phased by it, but I can seen those who are 50+ having a much more serious think about things before going, and that age group tends to make up a very large percentage of all skiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Injury or penury have been the only reasons for my rare absence of a ski trip over the last 30 years. It's my annual tonic and I place great value on it.

I've resigned myself to no skiing this season!

• Advertisement

Austria to announce the new rules tomorrow, assumption is that it will be a lockdown probably along the same lines as Germany.

I guess by now that the tourism industry have a pretty good picture of how things are going to pan out, re hotel bookings which have already been made etc. I believe the smaller resorts will still be able to operate on perhaps an ad-hoc basis, maybe opening only at weekends etc. I cannot see how the larger resorts will be able to operate as normal though of the hotels are empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

The pictures from cervinia were a problem. That was probably the first lift of the day and once you get onto the mountain it might not have been too bad. But that scene was probably repeated on heaps of resorts around Europe. When I was in Andorra in January the lifts were late opening due to wind. The crowding waiting for them to open was bonkers. And if it gets windy on a mountain that'll happen again, regardless of restrictions.

Looking at it now, it's very hard to see what way resorts will work this year.

The other thing that has to be said is that the europeans are spectacularly bad on queues and queue discipline. Can't see them not having people bunching in on each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BarryNumber1

So there's good news and bad news, after some probing my wife said I can go snowboarding, and I can stay out there.

Decisions, decisions.

So there's good news and bad news, after some probing my wife said I can go snowboarding, and I can stay out there.

Decisions, decisions.

Funny that, my wife said the exact same thing!

No way Austria or Switzerland will be on any green list anytime soon anyway. 7,500 new cases today in Austria, 10,000 in Switzerland.

• Advertisement

It really doesn’t look good. I have a trip booked in mid January and another at the end of Feb. At this stage I’ve almost resigned myself to the fact that they are gone, certainly January anyway.

trashcan wrote: »
    It really doesn’t look good. I have a trip booked in mid January and another at the end of Feb. At this stage I’ve almost resigned myself to the fact that they are gone, certainly January anyway.

Where have you booked for?

skallywag wrote: »
    Where have you booked for?

Westendorf, Austria. Have been a regular there for 10 years +. Booked with Topflight and they have deferred payment of the balance until 28 days before the holiday (it’s usually due 12 weeks before). So that’s something. Desperately disappointing if it has to be cancelled though.

My reading of this is that you'd only have to self isolate for 5 days if you test negative at that point, even if coming back from a "red" country?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/only-gold-standard-covid-test-will-result-in-restriction-free-travel-around-ireland-1.4405837

So....

If the Ski resorts open
    If we are allowed into the destination country without much of a quarantine
    If our wives allow us go
    If our wives allow us to come back
    If we don't mind quarantining for 5 days plus result period

And if it snows

We might get to go skiing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I know someone who caught it skiing in Feb. Their whole family got it, their spouse was on the brink of being hospitalised but recovered and they them selfs have side effects to this day. No skiing here this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Based on the new travel rules, we're pencilling in a week at the end of January.

We're looking at going to France but with certain conditions...
    • Things aren't out of control (if they are, they may still be in lockdown and resorts not open anyway)
    • A high altitude, large resort which will allow us to stay outside most of the day and have lots to explore, considering things like Apres will be off the cards - it'll be evenings in, cooking for ourselves and movies
    • Self catering, to avoid mixing as much as possible
    • Lots of chairlifts, and ability to avoid Gondolas as much as possible
    • A private transfer rather than in a packed coach

Ideally we would drive ourselves there to control our environment as much as possible, but time may not allow for this.

Our 2c!

We were thinking the 3V perhaps but still exploring. Anyone else thinking of attempting a cautious trip?

I'm hoping to get somewhere, will depend on a lot of stuff but I definitely amn't ruling it out. Apres isn't a big thing for me so don't really mind. I will miss being looked after in a hotel and having wellness.

To your list of safe suggestions I'd probably add going late season as you can easily eat outside (although I suspect there could be a lot more tourists late season). 3vs would be high and cold in January, but I don't think that should be too much of an impediment provided you're willing to eat on the go. I suspect if they open almost all places will be doing quick food to go, ideally with online advance ordering. Could be a real test of the traditional faff in ski resorts.

Could also consider Scandanavia if the numbers were low, or in any event targetting a low numbered area.

And could consider driving a camper there and going touring with a guide instead of using lifts at all.

All of these are things I'd like to do at some point in my skiing career so may as well try this year.

I know there's a risk but I'm not going to live my life in fear for ever and I have to question what the risk relative to my existing work conditions is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Have booked a hotel in Saalbach for February. Free cancellation up to two weeks before check in date so thought "f*ck it, why not???"

Still reckon the chances of going are very slim and in no way will I be getting my hopes up but if it's possible, a week in the Alps will be exactly what I need after the year we've had.

• Advertisement

Austria will officially announce a return to full scale lockdown later today, so no way the resorts are going to open as planned end of November / start of December I'd say. Numbers are off the scale, approaching 10,000 per day at the moment.

The weather is also very very warm for this time of year, it is ca 20 degrees today, which also does not bode well in any case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement