Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the side of every trailer in every building site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

mloc123 wrote: »
    Bring Frank back... I can imagine the photo ops now, him in full PPE fighting covid

No thanks. And with his interview in the Champion after losing his seat he needed both even running in Celbridge again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Patser wrote: »
    Slightly on/off topic -

Given the current lock down, interesting to see Lawless tweeting away (although having pointless spat with SF at times), looking active, on radio

Cronin, tweeting away, meeting businesses, sniping a bit but so what, on radio

Murphy, out meeting people and businesses, tweeting and retweeting, on radio

Durkan - nothing, not a single comment

And I say this as someone who gave him number 1 last election

Edit: and typical, as soon as I post I see he's tweeted 30 mins ago.....
    I'd be more inclined to vote for him so.
    Politicians banging on on twitter all day is the last thing I want. Reada Cronin seems to spend more time on her phone retweeting crap than actually doing any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Kilcock, celbridge and leixlip getting a very raw deal... This is the number of additional cases in the past 2 months

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did they add the two DEDs for Celbridge? Celbridge and Donaghcumper. Very easy to miss there's the second one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

L1011 wrote: »
    Did they add the two DEDs for Celbridge? Celbridge and Donaghcumper. Very easy to miss there's the second one.

Somebody had included in a follow up post. IIRC donaghcumper had no additional cases since June.. still on 55 (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Frank has taken twitter and facebook to court over untrue and defamatory posts about his private life during the campaign.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/former-td-claims-he-was-defamed-in-social-media-posts-prior-to-election-1043220.html

What are the chances of him getting the actual posters identities?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Frank has taken twitter and facebook to court over untrue and defamatory posts about his private life during the campaign.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/former-td-claims-he-was-defamed-in-social-media-posts-prior-to-election-1043220.html

What are the chances of him getting the actual posters identities?

Very strong, I’d say if the Lisa’s Lust List court case is anything to go by.

I hope the cowards are weeded out and dealt with.

Thanks Anewme, I hadn't heard of that case before, I had to google, its quite serious despite the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Case is ongoing: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/facebook-indicates-difficulties-complying-with-order-sought-by-former-ff-td-alleging-defamation-1.4437789
    Facebook has not been provided with a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) or web address regarding an allegedly defamatory post made about the former TD on Facebook, he said.

Facebook requires the URL so it identify the alleged poster and comply with orders concerning the account, he said

• Advertisement

Facebook is definitely shrugging its shoulders and he is right to pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

anewme wrote: »
    Facebook is definitely shrugging its shoulders and he is right to pursue it.

If all he has is 'someone called Tony Lynch said something bad about me', but can't identify the post or the poster, it's a needle in a haystack for Facebook. I wonder if he has a screenshot or even the exact wording of the post?

buffalo wrote: »
    If all he has is 'someone called Tony Lynch said something bad about me', but can't identify the post or the poster, it's a needle in a haystack for Facebook. I wonder if he has a screenshot or even the exact wording of the post?

He would have to have shots, dates and times if a solicitor took it on I would think.

Youd also go to that profile and get as many shots as you could of them, their family, friends, likes dislikes, work, etc

Trolls are very stupid sometimes in their rush to abuse people and many have been traced because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

So it's not true that Frank got the sack from the Mrs for being over friendly on the doors so to speak

Scoundrel wrote: »
    So it's not true that Frank got the sack from the Mrs for being over friendly on the doors so to speak

That type of tittle tattle is why hes taking the case I suppose.

Case still quietly rumbling along. Facebook saying they know nothing.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/facebook-says-alleged-defamatory-post-about-former-td-has-been-deleted-1065261.html

“We believe the post was permanently deleted. We can’t find it. Any attempt to identify the poster would be a speculative exercise,” Counsel said.

Its interesting that I could post any kind of allegation on their platform and they will bear no responsibility for it.

He seems to have got some details from twitter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Case still quietly rumbling along. Facebook saying they know nothing.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/facebook-says-alleged-defamatory-post-about-former-td-has-been-deleted-1065261.html

“We believe the post was permanently deleted. We can’t find it. Any attempt to identify the poster would be a speculative exercise,” Counsel said.

Its interesting that I could post any kind of allegation on their platform and they will bear no responsibility for it.

He seems to have got some details from twitter though.

Very surprised to learn that Facebook actually delete records as opposed to just marking them as inactive.

If the associated account did a GDPR wipe it may basically be impossible to link any inactivated copy of the record back to any useful info.

If the associated account did a GDPR wipe it may basically be impossible to link any inactivated copy of the record back to any useful info.
    Very reasonable point. I suppose in that specific case one should wipe everything in a non recoverable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Very surprised to learn that Facebook actually delete records as opposed to just marking them as inactive.

Given the amount of data their platform generates, I would be utterly shocked to learn that they don't delete data

• Advertisement

Does show a potential flaw - say something you think could get you in trouble down the line then GDPR wipe the account once you think its been seen enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Does show a potential flaw - say something you think could get you in trouble down the line then GDPR wipe the account once you think its been seen enough.

So the lesson learnt is that if you find something objectionable then you should take a screen shot. If the offending item is subsequently deleted then, using the rules of "best evidence" your screen shot should be permissible. Better yet, get another person to also screen shot the item.

So the lesson learnt is that if you find something objectionable then you should take a screen shot. If the offending item is subsequently deleted then, using the rules of "best evidence" your screen shot should be permissible. Better yet, get another person to also screen shot the item.

Still doesn't make the background info - IP, email address - that Facebook had come back from the great beyond.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40216247.html

Still can't find the problematic Facebook content it seems, but a name is given here.

He has one person identified and still searching for another.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40216424.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

The Celbridge politics page has been close/archived with the following announcement
    Due to unforeseen circumstances I am temporarily suspending the Celbridge Politics group. Thanks for your patience and understanding while I seek advice.
    Best regards, Treasa

No idea if it's related but there was stuff posted there at the time and the sister page Maynooth politics is still up and running. I hope that Treasa is not being made a scapegoat here.

He has one person identified and still searching for another.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40216424.html

He claims to have one person identified. You don't need to provide an email address or a phone number to open a twitter account.

The assertion has not be proven.

He claims to have one person identified. You don't need to provide an email address or a phone number to open a twitter account.

The assertion has not be proven.

The person has admitted to publishing the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Hang on he's suing someone who shared something on twitter from Facebook?? Is everyone who shared something in twitter now responsible for it? Do they have to fact check it?

• Advertisement

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Hang on he's suing someone who shared something on twitter from Facebook?? Is everyone who shared something in twitter now responsible for it? Do they have to fact check it?

If you are sharing defamatory material, is that itself not defamation?

Advertisement