Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

seligehgit wrote: »
    I thought Cillian O Connor was peripheral to the contest for large portions of it.An exquisite first five minutes with a couple of wonderful scores but as their go to man tended to drop far too deep.

Thought he showed his class when he got that goal chance in injury time but doubled back and took his point, figuring that was nearly as good at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Panrich wrote: »
    We’re a laughing stock at this stage. We make Trump look competent.

Trump is competent. You are more like Clinton Democrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭PressRun

Thought he showed his class when he got that goal chance in injury time but doubled back and took his point, figuring that was nearly as good at that stage.

Yep showed great composure and that bit of experience in crucial decision making. Was being hassled and harried a good bit for most of the contest and managed to keep the head. Diarmuid showed great leadership in the second half.

Sharoize Akram has some engine and reads things quite well. Made a couple of good interceptions and some nice passes. Seems more defensive-minded which might explain the lack of scoring.

Interesting if rather dismaying little anecdote by Marc O Se about "the Mayo maor foirne who was spitting trash talk every time he came on the field" in the 2014 All-Ireland semi-final. Apparently before the replay Anthony Maher declared “If I see that f***** on the field again, I will pull him off it by the two ears like the f****** donkey he is” and went on to carry out his threat to some degree when the brawl broke out.:eek:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irish-sport/time-for-gaa-to-clear-the-sidelines-for-good-6hh5tngvv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah, God love the poor, wee little Kerry lamb. Always the victims of skullduggery from other counties. Never the instigator. Bless their gentle souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Well lads the email has dropped last night. Don't know about you but I am getting extremely p***ed off with this O'Leary. Fair enough the county board may have a case to answer but certainly not to him. Honestly what he is doing is damaging Mayo GAA, massively

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭spakman

Do you have the text of the email?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Well lads the email has dropped last night. Don't know about you but I am getting extremely p***ed off with this O'Leary. Fair enough the county board may have a case to answer but certainly not to him. Honestly what he is doing is damaging Mayo GAA, massively

How is it damaging? The board are a law onto themselves and he has every right as a financial contributor to ask the hard questions. Its a shame someone hasn't done this before. The treasurers emailed reply calling him a donkey while CCing Mr.O'Leary just shows the mentality in the board to anyone who dares ask any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

statto25 wrote: »
    How is it damaging? The board are a law onto themselves and he has every right as a financial contributor to ask the hard questions. Its a shame someone hasn't done this before. The treasurers emailed reply calling him a donkey while CCing Mr.O'Leary just shows the mentality in the board to anyone who dares ask any questions.

Agree with this. The board really need to learn how to dig up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What does this mean? :confused:

Seems to be chaos at co board level now, meeting at which the Treasurer was to answer questions on the whole affair was called off last week. Also heard that Mayo had no desolates at the special congress over the weekend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Seems to be chaos at co board level now, meeting at which the Treasurer was to answer questions on the whole affair was called off last week. Also heard that Mayo had no desolates at the special congress over the weekend
    Surely there was plenty of desolates that could have gone . Only Kidding .

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah, God love the poor, wee little Kerry lamb. Always the victim of skullduggery from other counties. Never the instigator. Bless their gentle souls.

Regardless, it doesnt excuse the behviour if true, anyway its ridiculous the amount of people on the sideline

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

The board meeting was cancelled last week so the foundation decided to issue an email to all clubs and the board outlining their questions and concerns to be addressed before Friday 6pm

Regardless, it doesnt excuse the behviour if true, anyway its ridiculous the amount of people on the sideline

Yeah be a much better image for the GAA to have the management team up at the back of the stand with their laptops like in rugby, even if they were probably just playing solitaire on them:P

Anyone know the identity of the Mayo 'donkey' and whether he is still involved with the team?

Yeah be a much better image for the GAA to have the management team up at the back of the stand with their laptops like in rugby, even if they were probably just playing solitaire on them:P

Anyone know the identity of the Mayo 'donkey' and whether he is still involved with the team?

I believe it was Dr Ed Coughlan and that game in Limerick was his last involvement with The team.

It was Mayo Treasurer Kevin O'Toole, according to the Indo.

He cc'd O'Leary in an email meant for someone else else.

Hasnt that been well know or some time now?

A different donkey, dr Ed was the one referred to by Marc OShea and his encroachment onto the pitch lead to an excuse for a further melee at the end of the 2014 semi final.
    The email you refer to also makes reference to someone as a donkey though I’d suggest it was the sender that was the ass in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

can anyone rock up to these board meetings or just club delegates?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

irishgeo wrote: »
    can anyone rock up to these board meetings or just club delegates?

Club delegates only.

I like many others would love to be a fly on the wall at the next county board meeting!:D

Popcorn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Interesting if rather dismaying little anecdote by Marc O Se about "the Mayo maor foirne who was spitting trash talk every time he came on the field" in the 2014 All-Ireland semi-final. Apparently before the replay Anthony Maher declared “If I see that f***** on the field again, I will pull him off it by the two ears like the f****** donkey he is” and went on to carry out his threat to some degree when the brawl broke out.:eek:
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irish-sport/time-for-gaa-to-clear-the-sidelines-for-good-6hh5tngvv

Same article in yesterday's Sunday Times indicated the GAA are actively considering a fresh tidying up of the sideline with the resultant demise of the major foirne (runner).The creation of a coaching booth has been suggested.

TBH it's not before time such reforms come into being.

Andy Moran interview on The GAA hour starts at 31 minutes 12 seconds in.

http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/697691527-sportsjoe-gaa-hour-andy-moran-interview-brick-appreciation-swapping-jerseys-with-a-sub.mp3

Blackjack wrote: »
    A different donkey, dr Ed was the one referred to by Marc OShea and his encroachment onto the pitch lead to an excuse for a further melee at the end of the 2014 semi final.
    The email you refer to also makes reference to someone as a donkey though I’d suggest it was the sender that was the ass in that scenario.

Apologies. Talking at cross purposes so it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He dropped his pants behind the goal at an England game to try and put off a penalty taker.

I would be not far off calling him a donkey either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Just after reading the latest *letter*. Popcorn time......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

mayo.mick wrote: »

any nuggets for the unwashed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

mayo.mick wrote: »

Donkey

He dropped his pants behind the goal at an England game to try and put off a penalty taker.

I would be not far off calling him a donkey either.

To be fair to him he’s not wrong in anything he has said so far. He’s highlighted where a lot of issues stem from and if I’m not mistaken you’ve said yourself in the past that if this group of players were to win an all Ireland it would be despite the county board and not as a result of much of what they have done. I may be misquoting you but I’m certain it was yourself.

Plus if he has the confidence to think that his exposed lad in a large crowd would put off a penalty taker then fair play to him. If we are to get into the ins and outs of his personal life I’d say in the role he does in his job he’s far from a donkey. People don’t do what he does without having quite powerful grey matter between his ears.

Anyway I don’t think the discussion on the mans personal life has a place here- he has his dealings to do with the County board and he’s given them quite a lot of money for specific purposes and he’s fully entitled to see that it’s spent on what it was agreed that it should be spent on. It’s money that needs to be spent anyway so if it comes from Peter to pay for what peter asked it to pay for then any money from Paul can be spent on the numerous areas that other money needs to be spent.

• Advertisement

Apologies. Talking at cross purposes so it would seem.

You’re grand. Mind you I’ve always found the use of the word Donkey in this context to be quite harsh. Donkeys are neither stupid nor stubborn, though the reputation they have for same stems from their absolute unwillingness (hence stubborn) to do something at the request of a human that they feel may injure them or put them in danger, therefore deemed to be stupid. Horses on the other hand don’t seem quite so smart, as they will jump a fence before knowing what’s on the other side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement