Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joe Ward

• 19-07-2019 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Not seen much discussion about Joe Wards move to the pro ranks, to be honest it was quite a surprise to be honest.

Been a big fan, hugely successful in the amateurs. Whilst his counter punching style is not the most pleasing on the eye, he has usually adapted and found a way to win alot of big fights.

Always thought his punching technique needed some cleaning up if he was to turn over, also there are constant rumours about his commitment to training, homesickness when travelling away etc.. Also his lack of self promotion, no Twitter, facebook etc... all the things important with the modern pro game.

Joe Winters and Adam Glenn of time square boxing are his managers, never heard of this outfit to be honest, it seems he has not got a promoter yet either.

Has anyone heard any rumours or updates? Baffling to think of Ward operating the other side of the Atlantic when he was never keen on even travelling to Europe.

looks like he will campaign at light heavyweight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Not seen much discussion about Joe Wards move to the pro ranks, to be honest it was quite a surprise to be honest.

Been a big fan, hugely successful in the amateurs. Whilst his counter punching style is not the most pleasing on the eye, he has usually adapted and found a way to win alot of big fights.

Always thought his punching technique needed some cleaning up if he was to turn over, also there are constant rumours about his commitment to training, homesickness when travelling away etc.. Also his lack of self promotion, no Twitter, facebook etc... all the things important with the modern pro game.

Joe Winters and Adam Glenn of time square boxing are his managers, never heard of this outfit to be honest, it seems he has not got a promoter yet either.

Has anyone heard any rumours or updates? Baffling to think of Ward operating the other side of the Atlantic when he was never keen on even travelling to Europe.

looks like he will campaign at light heavyweight

Updating my own thread I know, but looks like Ward will be fighting on 7th September against an unnamed opponent.

Trainer could be Budd McGirt and there has been talk of regular sparring with Kovalev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Updating my own thread I know, but looks like Ward will be fighting on 7th September against an unnamed opponent.

Trainer could be Budd McGirt and there has been talk of regular sparring with Kovalev.

Mcgirt should help him a lot you would inagine. Promoter will be lou dibella

Ward to debut in a 6 rounder on undercard of GGG's world title fight in the States in early october. Will be on DAZN and Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

I hope it works out well for him, but I'm still really surprised he didn't wait for the Olympics. With things in a much better place now in Irish boxing than they were back in 2016, he had to be a very, very strong contender for a medal. And everyone knows an Olympic medal is a great promotional tool in your early professional career, even if just for a much larger signing on fee.

I'm not so sure he'll have the stamina for the pros, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

megadodge wrote: »
    I hope it works out well for him, but I'm still really surprised he didn't wait for the Olympics. With things in a much better place now in Irish boxing than they were back in 2016, he had to be a very, very strong contender for a medal. And everyone knows an Olympic medal is a great promotional tool in your early professional career, even if just for a much larger signing on fee.

I'm not so sure he'll have the stamina for the pros, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Himself and Lou Di Bella were on off the ball and Di Bella said he 100% got the gold medalist deal and that his deal will be one of the last of its kind as promoters are starting to see the evidence that most of these olympic hopefuls (with the few notable exceptions) are not cutting it. Amateur achievements do not seem to carry much weight in the pro game, its almost a different sport.

If Ward was dedicated he would go to the very top. Strong, has power for pro game, good chin, can fight off back foot.

Needs to clean up his punch technique big time, needs to work on his cardio big time, I hope he is not one of these guys who just lacks a natural fitness no matter how hard he tries. Always thought his reactionary style used up alot of energy unnescessarily, maybe he will relax a small bit more with longer rounds and box a bit smoother.

Always worry about our amateurs in terms of power when they turn over, but Ward has it naturally. Buddy McGirt is a good coach for him, hopefully Joe completely commits and buys into what he is being taught, his natural talent alone wont cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Am I the only one thinking that Ward is going nowhere here?

Too much missing for me, and two clear ones (that are very related) are stamina and work-rate needed...

I expect him to get fed absolute tomato cans (like MC) for at least the next two years...

Always worry about our amateurs in terms of power when they turn over, but Ward has it naturally. Buddy McGirt is a good coach for him, hopefully Joe completely commits and buys into what he is being taught, his natural talent alone wont cut it.

Ward's power always seems to get greatly exaggerated..

This is the pro game, where power can be a whole different animal.

walshb wrote: »
    Ward's power always seems to get greatly exaggerated..

This is the pro game, where power can be a whole different animal.

He definately has power in fairness to him, hes very physically strong too.

I think McGirt will need to clean up his punching technique big time. If the lad applied himself he would be a star.

But I get the feeling he will try and coast on his natural talent. In fairness his sheer natural talent got him a long way in the amateurs, he does what he wants when he wants training wise apparently, but the very top guys apply themselves 101%.

Most of the time a fully focused and well conditioned pro will deal with a talented guy who takes it easy.

Definitely has power?

This needs context and elaboration.

Internationally he has never demonstrated what I would call power...

He has fought in several important tournaments the past 8 years. I can’t recall very many KOs or TKOs in any of them...30 + fights.

One Olympics, 3/4worlds and 3/4 Europeans, plus several WSB fights..

I think I recall 2 wins via TKO...

He definately has power in fairness to him, hes very physically strong too.

I think McGirt will need to clean up his punching technique big time. If the lad applied himself he would be a star.

But I get the feeling he will try and coast on his natural talent. In fairness his sheer natural talent got him a long way in the amateurs, he does what he wants when he wants training wise apparently, but the very top guys apply themselves 101%.

Most of the time a fully focused and well conditioned pro will deal with a talented guy who takes it easy.

I can't believe this horsesh*t is still being spouted.

It would be literally impossible to achieve what he did if he didn't train hard. Impossible!!

And if you think it is possible you know virtually nothing about elite sport and preparation.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's time this rubbish was put to bed.

• Advertisement

Joe Ward no doubt trained hard, but I wonder how hard a trainer he really is, on a consistency type level? There is training hard, and then not training hard, and not training at all..

Anyway,

The main issue for me in this pro game is that I just don't see an array or talent as regards variation, fitness, inside game...

I have watched enough of Joe, and probably D single most important and valuable trait needed in the pro game, is fitness......It is the foundation of the sport. It is vital. Not saying you need to be indefatigable, but you need a level of fitness......I am a wee bit concerned that Ward doesn't have it, and won't get it.

And, sometimes even training hard you cannot attain it to a level needed.....

There is always a natural physiological element to fitness as well...Ward strikes me as one that is naturally not all that 'cardiovascular' fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Any idea what price the fighters are for this fight in bookies - imagine it would be live on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

And, sometimes even training hard you cannot attain it to a level needed.....

There is always a natural physiological element to fitness as well...Ward strikes me as one that is naturally not all that 'cardiovascular' fit.

Jermaine Taylor seemed to be a classic example of this; a good boxer but would fade badly in fights, no matter how much he trained.

Jermaine Taylor seemed to be a classic example of this; a good boxer but would fade badly in fights, no matter how much he trained.

And I don't think Joe will get near Jermaine's fitness level either...

Debut this weekend at MSG on undercard of GGG fight.

Straight into a 6 rounder with a semi decent opponent aswell. Pity its on too early to be part of Skys coverage but can be streamed with DAZN I think.

Debut this weekend at MSG on undercard of GGG fight.

Straight into a 6 rounder with a semi decent opponent aswell. Pity its on too early to be part of Skys coverage but can be streamed with DAZN I think.

I am sure Sky will show some sort highlights...

He has boxed 5 rounders in WSB.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

do they tend to do the facebook stream for early fights for the Dazn cards? he might be on that if they do

Buddy McGirt is an interesting trainer for him although will only focus on the actual boxing side. Conditioning is up to another irish coach.

McGirt wont tell him hes the second coming thats for sure, he has already said hes just another fighter and told him his amateur standing is of little use by all accounts.

Be very interesting to see how he adapts

Speaking from a pound for pound perspective, where would you rate Ward amongst his contemporaries in the amateur game?

Would you have him down as more talented than likes of Michael Conlan, Andy Lee or Jason Quigley?

Speaking from a pound for pound perspective, where would you rate Ward amongst his contemporaries in the amateur game?

Would you have him down as more talented than likes of Michael Conlan, Andy Lee or Jason Quigley?

Amateur wise: I think Quigley and Conlon are both more impressive in the overall boxing sense...

Lee? Hmmm.....on par!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Beaten

2nd round TKO as he fell over with a knee injury

Was due to fight in Belgium in 2 weeks so that will be scrapped now

On a par with Conlan. Considerably better than Quigley and Lee.

The results speak for themselves.

Jesus that looked bad!

I remember Ward suffered a similar knee/leg injury a number of years back in an amateur bout, I really hope it's not the same thing resurfacing, because if it's a recurring injury that spells disaster for his career.

In the short time it lasted his sometimes sloppy punching technique looked much tidier, which was a positive I suppose.

Could take quite a time for that to heal...

At least he is somewhat young...

From 4-5 minutes I saw I can’t say anything on it, other than it was Joe Ward!

Thought Joe looked good for the brief time he was on his feet.

He has definately begun to clean up his punching technique anyway.

Fully expect the result to be changed to a no contest over next few days

Thought Joe looked good for the brief time he was on his feet.

He has definately begun to clean up his punching technique anyway.

Fully expect the result to be changed to a no contest over next few days

Not sure how a NC happens here....

It's a retirement due to an injury. No foul involved...He loses.

Advertisement