Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3G 4G LTE router

• 23-09-2020 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks.
    I've a neighbour in her 70s who got a new phone last week thinking it might speed up her internet. It didn't, as the problem is her sitting room location. I've tried both our phones upstairs and the speed test reads 30 down and 15 up on average. Downstairs it's 3 down and 0.03 up.

I was thinking of her getting a 3/4G receiver/router that could be left upstairs be used as a router for the rest of the house and a sim card from 48. or GoMo, who she's with already. .

I'm wondering can anyone recommend a reliable unit with a good WiFi reach

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

are you talking about phone service or broadband a router is for internet but will not speed up service

what phone service has she got what phone does she use can she get fiber broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    are you talking about phone service or broadband a router is for internet but will not speed up service

what phone service has she got what phone does she use can she get fiber broadband

Broadband. She can't get a signal downstairs where she needs it most.

She had an old Samsung and thought a new phone might have improved her reception but it didn't

I was thinking of getting her a sim router which could pick up 3/4G upstairs and transmit it downstairs so she can use Skype, watch youtube etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The usual terminology for data via a 3G/4G SIM router is 'Midband' and the Midband forum has a few threads about the set up you need.

The most widely used was/is the Huawei B593 and more recently the B525...there may be other models by Huawei and a couple of other brands such as TP-Link that would work.

Browse the midband forum and have a look through Amazon for "4G SIM router" to get an idea of prices, feedback etc

Some, but not many, 4G routers allow use of the SIM card call allowance via a landline phone plugged in to the RJ11 socket of the router but that's a little more complicated and might not be of much added benefit depending on the call usage....the main advantage is only needing one SIM for calls and data while leaving the SIM in the router permanently.

Midband Forum...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

Thanks Ten Pin.

Had a look on Amazon and found 2 routers that would be perfect. One TP link and one Huawei for about 60 quid. Coupled with a sim from 48 for 8e a month that would be perfect for her. She'd only use it for FB WhatsApp calls and youtube.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Thanks Ten Pin.

Had a look on Amazon and found 2 routers that would be perfect. One TP link and one Huawei for about 60 quid. Coupled with a sim from 48 for 8e a month that would be perfect for her. She'd only use it for FB WhatsApp calls and youtube.

You are a very sound neighbour! I'm looking to solve this exact problem for someone too. Will check the midband forum and your routers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Maybe this might be what you are looking for catch the signal in a strong place & send it to where it is needed.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000357845558.html?spm=2114.best.6.4.23a1i2Rji2RjnL&scm=1007.17258.160833.0&pvid=a3882881-00a5-4b0e-9a15-295fa046ad06

FillaName wrote: »
    You are a very sound neighbour! I'm looking to solve this exact problem for someone too. Will check the midland forum and your routers too.

Thanks. She's in her mid 70s and her husband is in a home and her son is in Asia. I try to look after things for her.
    homingbird wrote: »
    Maybe this might be what you are looking for catch the signal in a strong place & send it to where it is needed.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000357845558.html?spm=2114.best.6.4.23a1i2Rji2RjnL&scm=1007.17258.160833.0&pvid=a3882881-00a5-4b0e-9a15-295fa046ad06

That looks like a better option. If it worked she could make a once off purchase and carry on with her existing sim. I never knew there was such a thing. I'll have a look into that later. I could mount that antenna near her bedroom window and run the cable down to the kitchen where she needs a signal the most. She's fine with phone calls but her internet is snails pace downstairs.

That looks like a better option. If it worked she could make a once off purchase and carry on with her existing sim. I never knew there was such a thing. I'll have a look into that later. I could mount that antenna near her bedroom window and run the cable down to the kitchen where she needs a signal the most. She's fine with phone calls but her internet is snails pace downstairs.

That's a repeater but the quality of them vary widely. Comreg have a list of approved manufacturers and they're not cheap...could be 2-300 for a basic one supporting specific bands for 2G or 3G or 4G with higher prices for ones that support more bands.

The standard LTE bands here are 800 and 1800 so a compatible repeater needs both.

3G bands are 900 and 2100 which would also be needed in case LTE signal wasn't sufficient at the particular location.

IMO the SIM router is the better option, just connect the phone to router via WiFi. The only consideration is the amount of calls made over mobile rather than WhatsApp. Does she make many calla or is it mostly incoming? If mostly incoming then get a second PAYG SIM just for incoming calls and use a separate SIM in the router.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That's a repeater but the quality of them vary widely. Comreg have a list of approved manufacturers and they're not cheap...could be 2-300 for a basic one supporting specific bands for 2G or 3G or 4G with higher prices for ones that support more bands.

The standard LTE bands here are 800 and 1800 so a compatible repeater needs both.

3G bands are 900 and 2100 which would also be needed in case LTE signal wasn't sufficient at the particular location.

IMO the SIM router is the better option, just connect the phone to router via WiFi. The only consideration is the amount of calls made over mobile rather than WhatsApp. Does she make many calla or is it mostly incoming? If mostly incoming then get a second PAYG SIM just for incoming calls and use a separate SIM in the router.

She has unlimited calls with GoMo as it is and the reception is fine for that. Her biggest problem is when she uses 3/4G. If she clicks to play a cat or dog video on FB it takes ages to start and then there's buffering. Whatsapp is fine for texting but if she gets or sends a video it takes ages. If she wants to talk to her son on Whatsapp or skype she has to drive to the end of the estate or come in to me and log on to my WiFi / fibre optic.

I downloaded a signal test app a while ago and learnt my own signal is only just about ok but as I've the home wifi i've never really noticed. I'll have a walk around her house with it tomorrow and see can I find an optimum spot. I think I'll go for a Huawei I saw on Amazon and use a 48 sim. It can be delivered monday and I read the 48 cards come loaded with 1GB so you can test it before you commit. She doesn't mind paying 8e a month if it's going to work.

Someone above mentioned fibre optic. There's a cabinet at the end of her drive that feeds me but her usage wouldn't justify 40 - 60e a month.

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

log on to my WiFi / fibre optic.

How close is her house? If you had WiFi access point pointing at her house and it's not too far away (<50 metres), then that might just be stable enough. Check if your WiFi reaches her house with your existing set up. If it's not next door then that won't work.

• Advertisement

How close is her house? If you had WiFi access point pointing at her house and it's not too far away (<50 metres), then that might just be stable enough. Check if your WiFi reaches her house with your existing set up. If it's not next door then that won't work.

Just a house between us and she's angled slightly towards me. I can't see my router (just inside my front window) i from her front door.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

4G boosters won't win you friends if you affect other peoples reception.

Leave a phone upstairs as a WiFi hotspot. Must check if I can get a better signal with a reflector. Or check if the phone has an antenna connector.

Use Network Cell Info Lite to check signal and find best window, older phones may not have the best band for the nearest mast. Siteviewer to check which mast you should be looking for. Line of sight is of course best.
    Airplane mode off/on when trying in a new location/room/side of window.

You could get external directional antenna for your router if it takes one. And same at the other end. Try for a clear frequency.

Leave a phone upstairs as a WiFi hotspot. Must check if I can get a better signal with a reflector. Or check if the phone has an antenna connector.

Use Network Cell Info Lite to check signal and find best window, older phones may not have the best band for the nearest mast. Siteviewer to check which mast you should be looking for. Line of sight is of course best.

You could get external directional antenna for your router if it takes one. And same at the other end. Try for a clear frequency.

Thanks Capt'n.

Don't know why I didn't think of that. I didn't get a chancr to go over till this evening. I downloaded that app over the weekend It's very good. I found a mast a Km from her upstairs bedroom window. I stood my phone upright on the sill and logged on downstairs with her phone. I'm getting 20 down and 10 up. Played a YouTube HD video with no buffering at all and the progress stays well ahead of the dot. I ordered a sim from 48 last week and just activated it. There's a free GB for testing before you commit to paying for a month. I'll stick that in her old phone tomorrow and if it works , were in business.

On another note. I downloaded that app to her phone as well and did comparisons walking around the house with a phone in each hand . Doing that I noticed her phone is only picking up H+. I took a walk up and down the estate and mine was constantly on 4G and hers stayed on H+. I checked settings ant its set for 4G (recommended). Would there be a problem with the sim?

Fixing this won't solve the sitting room problem as mine can't get a signal there either. She's probably getting only H+ when she's out and about as well.

homingbird, thanks for taking the time to look into this but I don't think it's an option.

As you can see from the above post, I think I might be sorted. Her son is out of work and keeping isolated in Vietnam. She needs to talk to him on a regular basis. At the moment she has to come over here to log on depending what time it is over there. If the phone tethering works she'll be able to sit at home and chat with him instead. The 20 meg download we got tonight should be more than enough for that.

Is your phone also with Gomo?

Check the APN, for Gomo it should be....

data.mymeteor.ie

The only slight drawback of phone hotspot is it uses more battery so if left on full time would require being plugged in permanently or else it would involve trips upstairs to turn it on and off when needed. A router would be better for that.

Check how much data she used last month. Vodafone have 5GB for 5 euro on PAYG and lasts 28 days. Just needs to be an older Android (older than 8) to get tethering working correctly. Vodafone is likely to have better speed and might be good enough to leave the spare phone downstairs and make things easier to use.

Try out 48 and Vodafone to get an idea of coverage. Use Gomo for main usage and the better SIM from 48 or VF for the spare phone. VF data allowance is small but only use it for essential data.

Ideally, if 48 was good for calls and data then switch to them for main phone and still keep VF SIM as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

How do boosters affect reception for others as all they are doing is catching the signal from a strong signal place & sending it to where you want it its no different than putting your modem/router in that place or making a call from there i agree he has come up with a better solution to the problem.

Is your phone also with Gomo?

data.mymeteor.ie

The only slight drawback of phone hotspot is it uses more battery so if left on full time would require being plugged in permanently or else it would involve trips upstairs to turn it on and off when needed. A router would be better for that.

Check how much data she used last month. Vodafone have 5GB for 5 euro on PAYG and lasts 28 days. Just needs to be an older Android (older than 8) to get tethering working correctly. Vodafone is likely to have better speed and might be good enough to leave the spare phone downstairs and make things easier to use.

Try out 48 and Vodafone to get an idea of coverage. Use Gomo for main usage and the better SIM from 48 or VF for the spare phone. VF data allowance is small but only use it for essential data.

Ideally, if 48 was good for calls and data then switch to them for main phone and still keep VF SIM as backup.

I hadn't a chance to get over today. There's a socket near the window and I've an old suction cup holder to get it to the top of the window. If this system works in the first place I'll encourage her to get a router.

Just had a look into her account there. she used 25G in July 20G in august and only 11G so far this month. I'm starting to think the new ohone she's had for the last 2 weeks might be the problem.

data.mymeteor.ie

I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

data.mymeteor.ie

It's coming up as data.myeirmobile.ie

It's coming up as data.myeirmobile.ie

That's OK.

Add the other APN, keep the existing one and select each in turn to see if it makes any difference. Toggle airplane mode in between selecting the other APN.

If it makes no difference then restart phone between APN changes.

It might just be a coverage issue and other APN may not make any difference. Try the old phone just to eliminate any phone issue

• Advertisement

I think we might be in business.

I put the 48 sim in her old Samsung on the window sill upstairs this morning and tethered my phone to it. I was getting speeds of up to 50Mbps down and 20 up. Downstairs I was getting 10 down and 3 up. At times it drops to 5 down and 1 up. Tethering is grand in the same room but not great when both devices are diametrically opposed in the house. We've decided to sign up for a month @7.99 go for a sim router which should have a better output than the phone hotspot. At least I know for sure there's a good signal at the upstairs window. She was able to have a good video chat with her son today without any dropouts.
    Add the other APN, keep the existing one and select each in turn to see if it makes any difference. Toggle airplane mode in between selecting the other APN.

If it makes no difference then restart phone between APN changes.

It might just be a coverage issue and other APN may not make any difference. Try the old phone just to eliminate any phone issue

I didn't do any more with this. My head was fried enough. But I took her phone to the shop with me and there's a perfect 4G signal there, so i guess phone and sim are ok. Maybe she just can't get a good GoMo signal in the estate.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll put the "Network cell info lite" app on her phone and see are my 48 and her Gomo coming from the same mast.

Update.

Great success today. I got her a Huawei B311 router on Amazon for 60 quid last week and only got around to doing it today. An amazing transformation. With the router on an upstairs window sill and the phone in the room I got 50 to 60Mb/ps download and 40 to 50 on the phone downstairs where she needs it most. Blistering speeds compared to what she was getting,

Thanks to everybody for their help.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Hi, I got one of these and put it high up in the attic where on my mobile I can get 3-4 bars so when I put my omni antenna in same spot I get nothing on the repeater, Any ideas why?

Update.

Great success today. I got her a Huawei B311 router on Amazon for 60 quid last week and only got around to doing it today. An amazing transformation. With the router on an upstairs window sill and the phone in the room I got 50 to 60Mb/ps download and 40 to 50 on the phone downstairs where she needs it most. Blistering speeds compared to what she was getting,

There should be a phone port to plug in a landline phone and make & take calls using the SIMs minutes allowance. It might be plug & play or else needs to be enabled in settings.
    https://consumer.huawei.com/za/support/content/en-us00429234/

There may also be a SMS function that would require log in to the router interface which could be done from a smartphone over WiFi.

There should be a phone port to plug in a landline phone and make & take calls using the SIMs minutes allowance. It might be plug & play or else needs to be enabled in settings.
    https://consumer.huawei.com/za/support/content/en-us00429234/

There may also be a SMS function that would require log in to the router interface which could be done from a smartphone over WiFi.

I saw that alright. Thought maybe it was for a Skype phone or something. I don't think she'll need it. She has GoMo unlimited on the mobile so should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭testtech05

Update.

Really sorry to hijack the thread but you wouldn't have a link to the router on amazon would ya? I am about to start a pretty similar project myself at the weekend.

No bother. There are others but this did the trick for me

Huawei B311

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭testtech05

No bother. There are others but this did the trick for me

Huawei B311

Thanks a lot!!

For anyone who it can help after learning about this I sorted some relatives in a similar situation with a tp link sim router with a GOMO sim

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-4g-lte-router.html

One house has 22mb down and 66mb up. The other max 16mb down and 22up.

My own house though was only 5mb down and 8mb up...but this was still perfect for streaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭patsyrockem

Hi there, just looking for some advice from the knowledgeable. I am on a mission to get rid of my Eir phone line and rubbish broadband. I finally got through to Eir last week and was trying to exit my contract. They promised an improvement on my 2 megs but entered a new contract. (Foolish me) Immediately I got 8 megs without any hardware changes, explain that?? I have the 14 day cooling off period and intend on using it if I can get a better option until I can get fibre in my area.
    I am looking at getting a sim card router but am apprehensive, I blame Eir!! My other half works from home on her laptop and we stream stuff to the TV. Would like to get Netflix but other than typical browsing that would be the height of our requirements. A neighbor has a router and a 3 sim card and is happy enough. There would typically be three of us using it from 3 different rooms.
    Would a router and SIM suit my needs and is their anything else I need to be aware of. I am desperate to be rid of Eir and phone line. I hope someone can help, thanks.

Advertisement