Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-12-2018, 16:04   #16
enfield

I remember one in the 'back' field, beside McKee Road, Finglas, Dublin in the 1950's. It was owned by the Dublin Corporation.
Advertisement
01-01-2019, 12:22   #17
Graces7

In far away Orkney, Italian POWs made a thing of great beauty from Nissen huts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Chapel

and on this site, you can see the shape clearly

https://www.secret-scotland.com/Attr...an-chapel.html
04-01-2019, 10:25   #18
gaiscioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanachai View Post
My father's cousin used to have a galvanise hut on his property that he grew up in, they later moved into a cottage on the site. I believe they were common enough in Ireland around WWII and were called Nissen huts, does anybody else have memories of them, or maybe even lived in one for a while?
Coincidentally, I came across this when looking at the history of a Comhaltas branch in Monkstown, Dublin:

Quote:
Piaras taught traditional music, dancing and games, through the medium of Irish, to the children of the area. Over the years he introduced hundreds of children to traditional Irish music, usually on the tin whistle. Quite a number of today’s well-known musicians began playing with Piaras as their teacher, either in their own homes or in the Nissan hut in which he founded a branch of Conradh na Gaeilge in 1955.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion