Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 11:34   #1
Seanachai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,949
Nissen huts

My father's cousin used to have a galvanise hut on his property that he grew up in, they later moved into a cottage on the site. I believe they were common enough in Ireland around WWII and were called Nissen huts, does anybody else have memories of them, or maybe even lived in one for a while?
Seanachai is offline  
Advertisement
13-12-2018, 11:05   #2
pedroeibar1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,848
I associate them only with military use. Nearest thing (residentially) to them in my memory are holiday home 'bungalows' in Co. Cork made from old packing cases from Fords.
pedroeibar1 is offline  
Thanks from:
13-12-2018, 16:34   #3
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 17,033
The market was flooded with cheap army surplus Nissen huts after the war, and they were used for all kinds of things. Christian Brothers clerical students in what is now the Radisson hotel lived in Nissen hut dormitories until well into the 1950s, for example.

Their merit were that they were cheap to buy and easy to erect. They didn't last very long - it was difficult to keep them weatherproof for more than a few years - and they had zero insulation qualities - incredibly cold in the winter, and even in an Irish summer they were hot and stuffy.
Peregrinus is offline  
Thanks from:
14-12-2018, 12:42   #4
whisky_galore
Registered User
 
whisky_galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,293
Bord na Mona bought nissen huts and used them as offices and sheds. There is at least one location where some are still standing, albeit in a derelict state.
whisky_galore is offline  
Thanks from:
14-12-2018, 12:50   #5
Seanachai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
The market was flooded with cheap army surplus Nissen huts after the war, and they were used for all kinds of things. Christian Brothers clerical students in what is now the Radisson hotel lived in Nissen hut dormitories until well into the 1950s, for example.

Their merit were that they were cheap to buy and easy to erect. They didn't last very long - it was difficult to keep them weatherproof for more than a few years - and they had zero insulation qualities - incredibly cold in the winter, and even in an Irish summer they were hot and stuffy.
I've come to the conclusion that Irish people like being cold so they can complain about it , it never seizes to amaze me how cold our houses are, even new builds.
Seanachai is offline  
Advertisement
14-12-2018, 15:26   #6
whisky_galore
Registered User
 
whisky_galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanachai View Post
I've come to the conclusion that Irish people like being cold so they can complain about it , it never seizes to amaze me how cold our houses are, even new builds.
Shortage of money for decent materials can account for a lot of that and less skilled builders. An English friend of mine noted how much of his MIL's house was bodged together with nails where screws should have been used.
whisky_galore is offline  
(2) thanks from:
14-12-2018, 15:29   #7
ednwireland
Moderator
 
ednwireland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,693
Is that the ones with a round corrugated steel roof loads of the across the border from me in tyrone mainly used as farm sheds.
ednwireland is offline  
Thanks from:
14-12-2018, 16:44   #8
gaiscioch
Registered User
 
gaiscioch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,161
A few years ago I was walking along the gorgeous Ramparts of the River Boyne between Navan and Slane and I came across a couple of these, which I learned from this website are WW II huts.
gaiscioch is offline  
Thanks from:
14-12-2018, 22:02   #9
tabbey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednwireland View Post
Is that the ones with a round corrugated steel roof loads of the across the border from me in tyrone mainly used as farm sheds.
That is correct.

The military wing of Musgrave Park Hospital, Belfast had Nissen huts well into the 1970s and probably later. It was kept busy at that time.
tabbey is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-12-2018, 13:34   #10
DanMurphy
Registered User
 
DanMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 395
I lived in those huts off and on for years while in the Army. Our military class-rooms were also Nissan Huts as were some offices .
I've a good photo of what life was like inside one but unable to post on this site.
Will send it to the OP if he wishes?
DanMurphy is offline  
Thanks from:
21-12-2018, 16:37   #11
Seanachai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMurphy View Post
I lived in those huts off and on for years while in the Army. Our military class-rooms were also Nissan Huts as were some offices .
I've a good photo of what life was like inside one but unable to post on this site.
Will send it to the OP if he wishes?
Cheers, that would be great
Seanachai is offline  
21-12-2018, 23:05   #12
DanMurphy
Registered User
 
DanMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 395
i had trouble uploading that Picture in a p.m. to seanachai.
If the Mod could p.m. me with an email address I could send it to, via that means, and the Mod could then send it on to seanachai in a p.m.

Thanks, Dan
DanMurphy is offline  
Thanks from:
24-12-2018, 11:07   #13
DanMurphy
Registered User
 
DanMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 395
Or maybe not...
DanMurphy is offline  
24-12-2018, 11:30   #14
Technique
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 938
There were a lot of them in Derry during the war, mostly housing US troops. The most well known were in Springtown, where the locals moved in when the troops moved out due to the almost non-existant housing available for local people. There were people living here until 1967.


Technique is offline  
(2) thanks from:
27-12-2018, 13:53   #15
BowWow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,189
Article in today's Daily Mail about them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-grandson.html
BowWow is online now  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet