Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bidding/surveying house without running water?

• 24-02-2019 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

We are in process of bidding for a house

Very solid looking build, all houses in the estate look good. The property have no sign of dampness, and it has not been lived in for at least half year but was rented before. It seem fab house,neglected by the owners as they have moved from Dublin and rented it for years - shed packed with old junk, old appliances just left in the garden

I am currently the highest bidder and I found out that "There is water in kitchen sink (directly from outside) but nowhere else as water tank has been drained. Water tank needs replacing"

I think water tank replacement is not a big issue, there are 3 other bidders and we really like the property. It's unlikely the owner will agree to fix anything before the sale

What would you do? What could no running water be hiding? Is it possible to assess the house adequately without having running water? What are my options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

**Why** does water tank need replacing? It wouldn't be a common problem.

Alternatives:
    * Get a surveyor who has plumber-level knowledge of such issues.
    * Get a surveyor and a plumber to check out property.
    * Budget several thousand euros for plumbing work.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

'Needs' to be replaced or 'should' be replaced?

As in, our engineer made refernce to the old non insulated tank should be replaced with an insulated tank, but that was an advisory.

Advertisement