Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you want In writing before paying a deposit For a new house?

• 24-02-2019 1:42am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Who is the:
    1. contract wit
    2. designer: name and details of architect & Engineer
    3. design certifier certifier (under The building control regulations)
    4. builder: name and details
    5. construction certifier (under The builder control regulations)
    What:
    1. documents will be furnished prior to client contract agreement
    2. Handover document sample of what Is provided prior to occupation:
    3. Will this include, Cert of compliance with:
    1. planning
    2. Building regulations
    3. BCAR
    4. Electric reci cert
    5. BER cert
    6. Land register maps/ rights of way (foul/electric/data)

Prior to contract signature Please provide
    1. Provision BER
    2. Osi map/site layout of dwelling location
    3. drainage, levels & boundary heights
    4. construction Drawings including floor plans, sections & elevations, detailed specification that includes all envelope build-ups, general overall materials/ products installed, including cavity & compartment barriers.
    -mechanical systems: semantics and details for ventilation, heating, HW, pumps, controls of same
    - electrical: semantics and details for power & data systems (for example what sockets will be provide per room and will homeowner agree locations?)
    -Warranties (for example provide Homebond Exclusions)
    - confirmation Council & connection services charges will be covered
    - lists by room of what will be provided.
    - where Confirm pc sums are present? List and detail clearly what is included
    - what is excluded?

How far would a developer/auctioneer go to avoid your call ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

100% they would avoid call if you asked for that on paying a booking deposit. Booking deposit is just showing an interest and can be refunded anytime. Very little on that list would you expect to get in paying booking deposit. Developer architect BER rating, drawings will normally be given to you when you view.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

A receipt .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

so if we now assume the Book deposit has been paid and the refund period is almost up. Balance of deposit is due when contracts are signed.

When should info above be available? Personally I’d like to see it before contracts are signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

If full deposit and your finances sound specify a closing date. Found personally the sellar stopped trying to up the price if there is a set date to walk away with full refund of deposit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bryan, from my experience with new builds, none of the technical stuff is handed over except for the BER cert. no drawings nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

We are in the last step of closing for a new house in a new estate.

We paid booking deposit at the launch. Got the receipt emailed a couple of days later by estate agent.

About 2 months later we received the contract (our solicitor provided us with a PDF copy).
    All of the information you mentioned was included in the contract.
    There was a lot of email ping pong going on between our solicitor and the developer's solicitor before signing the contract.

In the end it was a waste of time as the developer's solicitor only allowed the mortgage clause to be inserted i.e. so you won’t loose your deposit if the bank won't give you the mortgage in certain circumstances.

We had 4 weeks time to review the contract and pay over the remainder of the deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

BryanF wrote: »
    so if we now assume the Book deposit has been paid and the refund period is almost up. Balance of deposit is due when contracts are signed.

When should info above be available? Personally I’d like to see it before contracts are signed

If you want that stuff you have to put clauses in the contract specifying that they will be given to you on closing. it is not something you discuss with the auctioneer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

MSVforever wrote: »
    About 2 months later we received the contract (our solicitor provided us with a PDF copy).
    All of the information you mentioned was included in the contract.
    Thanks this is what you’d like to think happens.

Not much point point in getting the info after you’ve Signed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Bonkers how little information you get making such a big investment. To the point where even asking for the information could put you in the bad books. It shouldn't be taboo!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

check_six wrote: »
    Bonkers how little information you get making such a big investment. To the point where even asking for the information could put you in the bad books. It shouldn't be taboo!

But you do get the information, with the contracts. If you dont like it you walk away and get your deposit back.

I read somewhere that something like 20% of new homes deposits end up being returned. Its very common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

hi folks, - sorry for bringing back a year old thread, it seemed very relevant to my questions

Would the above list be a good place to start when working with your solicitor before signing contracts on a new build? (Booking deposit is already paid - contracts I have do not seem to mention BCAR or have that much info - build is finished in about ~6-7 months)

Which ones would be non-negotiables?

I would be looking to sign soon, and I was wondering how the BCAR process works exactly?

My solicitor thought it wise to have an engineer / architect survey the site with professional indemnity insurance for me, but as I understood it - the developer must have this done via BCAR process themselves on new builds, and I should receive a copy of the BCAR certificate?

If so, could I not just request this in the contracts before signing and providing deposit?

Advertisement