Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked for a reference then asked to leave

• 08-01-2019 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A colleague has been renting for the past 18 months in the same house (not owner occupied). He was thinking about looking for another place, asked the landlord for a reference (nothing about leaving, just a reference) and the landlord then emailed him backing saying he has 30 days to leave.

I have two questions.

1. I assume since he is there 18 months he has to give at least 42 days notice since he has part 4 tenency rights?
    2. The landlord emailing him to leave cannot be considered an official notice? (does it have to be in writing?).

LL of course is not registered AFAIK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

That notice us not valid.

Any lease in place may also infer greater rights to your friend, but at the very least he will have Part IV tenancy rights and can stay for up to 6 years.

There are very few legal ways a landlord can end a tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

By the way, landlords and tenants are not registered with the RTB, specific Tenancies are.
    This might explain your discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Is he renting the whole house or is he a licensee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

Is he renting the whole house or is he a licensee?

Whole house, not a licensee.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

davo2001 wrote: »
    Whole house, not a licensee.

Then he should get proper notice alright.

• Advertisement

Then he should get proper notice alright.

I've advised him to email the landlord back a few days before the "eviction" saying that:

"The eviction notice is not valid, given this fact I am under no obligation to leave the property"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Pkiernan wrote: »
    That notice us not valid.

Any lease in place may also infer greater rights to your friend, but at the very least he will have Part IV tenancy rights and can stay for up to 6 years.

There are very few legal ways a landlord can end a tenancy.

6 years?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

6 years?

Part 4 tenancies are 6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Part 4 tenancies are 6 years

That's for tenancies that started after December 24th 2016.
    Which would be the case here, if the 18 months timeframe given by the OP is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The landlord has to give written notice, with the correct notice period, and has to give a valid reason (which is limited to a very specific set of reasons for tenants in Part IV tenancies).

From what you've written, it sounds like this notice fails on all three counts - email not written, incorrect notice period and no valid reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

dudara wrote: »
    The landlord has to give written notice, with the correct notice period, and has to give a valid reason (which is limited to a very specific set of reasons for tenants in Part IV tenancies).

From what you've written, it sounds like this notice fails on all three counts - email not written, incorrect notice period and no valid reason.

just wonder can anyone explain what exactly "in writing" means in relation to the RTA regulations?

email is widely used and accepted so why does the notice to a tenant need to be a physical piece of paper? Is it just a recommendation from the RTB

i thought there was some law passed years ago about electronic formats being a valid form of written communication but I could be wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From the RTB:
    In order for a Notice of Termination to be valid, it must:
    Be in writing (an email will not suffice)........
    https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/sample-notices-of-termination/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

thanks for posting the link - I read that on the RTB website all right and thought it was just a recommendation.

I will try to find the legislation about electronic communications being a valid form but there could be a specific clause in the RTA that does not allow a notice to be delivered by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Hi all,

A colleague has been renting for the past 18 months in the same house (not owner occupied). He was thinking about looking for another place, asked the landlord for a reference (nothing about leaving, just a reference) and the landlord then emailed him backing saying he has 30 days to leave.

I have two questions.

1. I assume since he is there 18 months he has to give at least 42 days notice since he has part 4 tenency rights?
    2. The landlord emailing him to leave cannot be considered an official notice? (does it have to be in writing?).

LL of course is not registered AFAIK.

So, your friend is leaving anyway, the time limit may suit them, but while the notice is not correct, he should inform the landlord of this to correct it, if he wants a reference Id keep it civil, but a reference is not something a landlord is obliged to give, other than for goodwill, goodwill both ways goes a long way.
    You also say (of course) LL is not registered, but then you say (AFAIK) so its Anecdotal, you dont actually know if they are registered, you aren't the tenant.
    If your friend is happy to leave and wants a reference, Id raise the problems he has with the landlord directly and make it obvious without being uncivil that he knows his entitlements, but that he is planning on leaving and would like a reference.
    Either way a reference isnt an obligation.

1874 wrote: »
    So, your friend is leaving anyway,

No, he was only thinking of leaving, hadn't made any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the landlord then emailed him backing saying he has 30 days to leave.
    Have your mate double check if he "has to" or "can" leave in 30 days; the LL may be allowing your mate leave early if they have gotten a place, as most people only ask for the reference when they have a place.

Ask nicely before quoting legislation, as that could piss off the LL, who may not give a favorable reference.

Advertisement