Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letting studio to a friend

Options
  • 06-05-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

We have a bungalow, with a detached studio out back with one room and an ensuite (shower and basin).

I have a friend who I’d like to rent it to, but not sure if he can just give me the rent per month in cash and I declare it end of year, or whether we need to set up a proper RTB contract. It would be for short term, 3-5 months, with no notice period required (he’s waiting for his clearance to move to another country).

We need to get the attic insulated, simple job I already have a quote for, and out in a fire blanket and carbon monoxide detector I guess. But anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

As it's detached you need to set up with the RTB etc. Why not rent him a room in the house and save 50% on tax? You still need to declare for RAR but it's tax free up to 14K.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Does it have its own kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Three to five months? The way I’d look at it is that you are letting him stay in your home while he kicks in a few quid for groceries. Keep it informal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Stern wrote: »
    We have a bungalow, with a detached studio out back with one room and an ensuite (shower and basin).

I have a friend who I’d like to rent it to, but not sure if he can just give me the rent per month in cash and I declare it end of year, or whether we need to set up a proper RTB contract. It would be for short term, 3-5 months, with no notice period required (he’s waiting for his clearance to move to another country).

We need to get the attic insulated, simple job I already have a quote for, and out in a fire blanket and carbon monoxide detector I guess. But anything else?

Is the studio officially a place that someone can sleep? Have you got planning or is it a glorified garden shed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If anything ever goes awry in this 'arrangement' you're in for a world of hurt...........
    If you 'rent' him anything- he is entitled to rights.
    If he stays with you under the rent a room scheme- he does not have any such rights.
    If the unit is separate to the main house (not attached or accesible from inside)- it is a separate unit- and if you 'let' it to him- it has to legally comply with various requirements- the first of which is- you'll need to get a BER cert done- thereafter you have a full shopping list in the Amended RTA to comply with.

If your friend stays either in your house- or in this studio- as a guest- who is not paying rent- for a defined period of time less than 6 months- you're in the clear. If they pay rent- and/or go over the 6 months- you're screwed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement