Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flood risk with heavy rain and strong winds

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Lots of rain today but the wind here has been unremarkable. The weird thing is, there was no rain warning issued for here but there was a wind warning issued even though the rain has caused more disruption. Massive puddles around too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

South east Kilkenny looking at some flooding, it's a disaster since they were only flooded 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

North Kildare, near the Meath border, no evidence of that much rain today. Ground was wet when I got home from a very wet Dublin at about 7pm but only small puddles and still plenty of lying snow in ditches and by many roadsides. Must have been in the Wicklow mountain rain Shadow all day and with winds from a predominantly south East direction, that would indeed seem to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

29.2mm here so far in D11 and still moderate rain. 7.7C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like a rain shadow may be kicking in now for a good chunk of county Dublin. Light rain here in north Dub at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Rain had gotten light here but has now picked up intensity again, garden is the most flooded I've seen it since that late 2011 episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

highdef wrote: »
    North Kildare, near the Meath border, no evidence of that much rain today. Ground was wet when I got home from a very wet Dublin at about 7pm but only small puddles and still plenty of lying snow in ditches and by many roadsides. Must have been in the Wicklow mountain rain Shadow all day and with winds from a predominantly south East direction, that would indeed seem to be the case.

Same story here, just light spits of rain near Maynooth all morning, pouring rain all afternoon and evening in Dublin and dry again when I got back home an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Just back to drizzle here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sryanbruen wrote: »
    This has been far more impactful than some of those named storms if you ask me, including Dylan.

And never a mention of Mayp; it was really bad here. Well, no one is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Same story here, just light spits of rain near Maynooth all morning, pouring rain all afternoon and evening in Dublin and dry again when I got back home an hour ago

Same story here in S Roscommon. So youre in Wicklow Mts Shadow.
    Wonder if here its Slieve Blooms's rain shadow??

For a change we got a lot less rain than forecast from this system. Just as we got no snow from Emma.

Amazing to see the 5 pages of reaction when this hits the East with what would be a normal Wet winters day West of the Shannon (20-30mm here would pass without a Boards post never-mind a thread :pac:)

It just shows that the ME warnings need to be graduated differently for different regions based on impact rather than windspeed/rainfall volume etc.

And...apologies to people in the South-East, but if Climate Change were to give us a new prevailing wind direction...today's is the one I'd like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is there much of a thaw in the Wicklow mountains? With all that rain and whatever thaws,the Slaney could burst it's banks by morning. It's running very high tonight and businesses have defences in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Still rising, snow melt from Lugnaquilla could be impacting Slaney too. Flood defenses will be tested if they continue to rise

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/974170176307462144?s=21

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ended up with 34.8mm yesterday in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is there much of a thaw in the Wicklow mountains? With all that rain and whatever thaws,the Slaney could burst it's banks by morning. It's running very high tonight and businesses have defences in place.
    You probably know by now whether it affected the Slaney, but on the Eastern side of the mountains yes, there was a big thaw. I'd put it as primary cause of the flooding, especially on the road network.

Just judging on the roads, the road that was still down to just one lane with still 60cm lying (not ploughed) in parts on Tuesday evening, was 99%+ clear this morning (and it was the lower road that had the worst flooding near Roundwood), with just a few ploughed heaps remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Reports overnight that the Dodder burst its banks and caused a road closure..

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/south-dublin-residents-warned-flooding-14413054

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Neddyusa wrote: »
    It just shows that the ME warnings need to be graduated differently for different regions based on impact rather than windspeed/rainfall volume etc.

And...apologies to people in the South-East, but if Climate Change were to give us a new prevailing wind direction...today's is the one I'd like :D

The south east of the country is relatively highly populated compared to much of the west. There must have been close to 20 hours rain yesterday and a strong gale blowing all day.

I heard the forecast on Monday and chose to do some outdoor work on Tuesday as Weds was said to be wet. But there's wet and there's wet! I kinda think that ME screwed up their fancy weather warning system as clearly this weather event has had a much greater impact in terms of flooding anyway than most cyclones this past year.

The strange thing is the lack of awareness here in Carlow as to what 30-50mm of rain could lead to.

The council didn’t even send out the Map Alerter notice until I called them late yesterday afternoon by which Times rivers were already out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Villain wrote: »
    The strange thing is the lack of awareness here in Carlow as to what 30-50mm of rain could lead to.

The council didn’t even send out the Map Alerter notice until I called them late yesterday afternoon by which Times rivers were already out!

Im often perplexed at how the layman is more informed than the County engineer's....

It's a regular acurance all over this country.

It's quite easy, wetlands,rain, land tapering off,streams joining together....

Flood

I know farmers who'd run rings around any county engineer's...

• Advertisement
Advertisement