Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card Machine: Coolmine

• 11-05-2016 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Have you ever tried to tag on your leap card at Coolmine Train Station and the machine wouldn't let you, it keeps saying try again-but when the person coming after you can tag on with no problems ?

Were you able to get your Leap Card validated at the other end of your journey-when machine refused to tag you on ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Have you ever tried to tag on your leap card at Coolmine Train Station and the machine wouldn't let you, it keeps saying try again-but when the person coming after you can tag on with no problems ?

Were you able to get your Leap Card validated at the other end of your journey-when machine refused to tag you on ?

If you are using PAYG then not tagging on means you could find yourself with a fine for fare evasion if caught.

You cannot tag on at the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you have this issues at other card machines, or it is just purely the one at Coolmine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i seem to have this issue with the tag on point at the stephen's green luas stop - the one on the outbound side, nearest the top of grafton street. i regularly have to use another one, but other people seem to be able to use it with little issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I occasionally have issues with my card becoming dead.

If I tag off on the machine that you talk about at Stephens Green on the opposite side the card won't work for the next hour. For example I will tag off, then go to the red line, try and tag on and the card does not trigger the tag on machine, or the ticket machines, or any shops reader, but after an hour suddenly the card starts working again.

If I use any other machine at Stephens Green, the problem does not occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leap Card Machine Coolmine

Have to go to court because an inspector was at Tara St when I went up to ask for my card to be validated. I was issued with a fine of e100. Apealed it but it was refused because they said the machine was working. It is not that the machine wasn't working it just wouldn't let me tag on. I was just trying to see if anyone else had this problem and if I get a chance in court to say this it might help my case. I just feel I was not trying to evade my fare and went to have my card tagged, which I have been able to do before because of the same problem, I didn't do anything wrong and feel I just could't pay this fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Have to go to court because an inspector was at Tara St when I went up to ask for my card to be validated. I was issued with a fine of e100. Apealed it but it was refused because they said the machine was working. It is not that the machine wasn't working it just wouldn't let me tag on. I was just trying to see if anyone else had this problem and if I get a chance in court to say this it might help my case. I just feel I was not trying to evade my fare and went to have my card tagged, which I have been able to do before because of the same problem, I didn't do anything wrong and feel I just could't pay this fine.

If the problem happened before then what did you do about it? Contact Leap? Contact Irish Rail? Just carry on and get some free journeys out of it?

Unless you tried to sort the situation it is your responsibility, it is your card and if it doesn't work properly then YOU are the one that needs to sort it out.

If you choose to use Leap PAYG then you need to ensure you are tagged on before making a trip.

IMO the fine is valid and you would be best off just paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Were all of the validators at Coolmine not working as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leap Card Machine Coolmine

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If the problem happened before then what did you do about it? Contact Leap? Contact Irish Rail? Just carry on and get some free journeys out of it?

Unless you tried to sort the situation it is your responsibility, it is your card and if it doesn't work properly then YOU are the one that needs to sort it out.

If you choose to use Leap PAYG then you need to ensure you are tagged on before making a trip.

IMO the fine is valid and you would be best off just paying it.

This happened lots of times before and you can go to the desk in Tara St and the attendant will either let you tag off and pay the extra because you haven't been able to tag on or you can pay the E3.30 in cash, never a problem.
    I have never tried to get some free journeys.
    I choose to use Leap PAYG and if it was in my power I would make sure the machine worked everytime I use it. Thanks for taking the time to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

This happened lots of times before and you can go to the desk in Tara St and the attendant will either let you tag off and pay the extra because you haven't been able to tag on or you can pay the E3.30 in cash, never a problem.
    I have never tried to get some free journeys.
    I choose to use Leap PAYG and if it was in my power I would make sure the machine worked everytime I use it. Thanks for taking the time to reply

Once again, were the validators at Coolmine working or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

So, let me get this straight - you repeatedly have had problems tagging at the validator in Coolmine, but yet people before/after you don't seem to have this problem, suggesting there is not necessarily any specific problem with the machine - have you tried with another leap card, or contacted them to see if they can check the card/issue a replacement? Remember you can return your card and get back a five euro deposit plus the balance of credit on it, so getting a new one would not necessarily cost you.

Sorry, OP, but it sounds to me like there was strong evidence for a while of your card having issues, and you made no effort to resolve that. Now if the problem happened for you with multiple cards, I'll stand corrected, but it sounds like you had indicators and just took the attitude that it wasn't your issue to do anything about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

cython wrote: »
    Remember you can return your card and get back a five euro deposit plus the balance of credit on it, so getting a new one would not necessarily cost you.
    According to this you can only get your money back if you register the card.
    So getting a new card would cost lcmc either moeny, or time registering.

According to this you can only get your money back if you register the card.
    So getting a new card would cost lcmc either moeny, or time registering.

And how much time would it have "cost" to have to go to a member of IE staff each time they make a journey and can't validate? Registering would maybe take the time of 2 of these interactions, I'd imagine. And with all due respect, any and all consumer problems (which is the closest description I can come up with for this at the moment) have a time cost associated with pursuing a resolution. However most people can accept that and act on it, rather than burying their head in the sand and carrying on as if there is no way for them to resolve it. I mean even if the option of returning the card to a shop was available (or indeed to a ticket desk in the station), that would still incur a time cost, so excuse me for thinking it was obvious I was referring to a financial cost as opposed of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Apologies for piggy backing of the thread but is the tagging off at Coolmine in the evening resolved now? I went past a while ago around half 7 and there was a heap of people trying to get through the gate. I went past last week and the shutters were left open and people went out quickly.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Apologies for piggy backing of the thread but is the tagging off at Coolmine in the evening resolved now? I went past a while ago around half 7 and there was a heap of people trying to get through the gate. I went past last week and the shutters were left open and people went out quickly.

I got off the train there yesterday evening at around 7:30 and the shutters were closed, and on the westbound platform there is still only the one validator, and people have to queue up for it. The other platform still has the two, but not much use for anyone going to the car park, or living south of the station.

The shutters were closed to stop kids hanging around there. I know the person in charge of the station and he was going to tell security to leave it open until after that train goes past. I'll get onto him again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

devnull wrote: »
    If I tag off on the machine that you talk about at Stephens Green
    The machine has been removed, obviously for repair.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The shutters were closed to stop kids hanging around there. I know the person in charge of the station and he was going to tell security to leave it open until after that train goes past. I'll get onto him again.

I figured as much, to be honest, but (and nothing against the person you know) sadly this is the all too familiar attitude of Irish Rail towards suburban stations, and epitomises their determination to keep them unmanned, and as little use as possible - if the station simply had a member of staff there while open (especially when trains are still passing through several times per hour), kids hanging around would almost certainly cease to be an issue, but instead they choose the solution that further curtails the facilities and utility of the station. Realistically at this point they might as well knock the station building, and instead build a box with TVMs matching the north platform and install a second validator, for all the use the building gets :(

You have it nailed. Rumour has it that they want to close all the halts on the maynooth line and just have ticket machines.

Advertisement