Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comments on the boards.ie daily forecast ( > 1,000,000 views )

• 26-07-2011 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

I think MTC is doing a great job, with no pay, so I opened this thread as a repository for comments on his daily weather forecasts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I check it most days - it's my favourite weather forecast. :) Thanks MTC, much appreciated. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I rarely post in here and I use it as my forecast. Most days I even post the link up on facebook so a lot of mates check it out too that don't even have accounts here. Very detailed, highly accurate despite our often difficult to predict weather and most importantly much appreciated. Fair play MT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

I rarely post in here and I use it as my forecast. Most days I even post the link up on facebook so a lot of mates check it out too that don't even have accounts here. Very detailed, highly accurate despite our often difficult to predict weather and most importantly much appreciated. Fair play MT.

i do the very same thing!
    he's a very well valued member on this site :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Yes I check here every day for his forecast.:D I don't even bother checking ME any more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for the thought that went into starting this thread and for the comments. I expect occasions where my forecasts might not emerge 100% unscathed, but also, when you have differences of opinion as we've seen this week, quite often the outcome lies somewhere in between, or at least you can see how the two different concepts might be blended into a more suitable mixture.

Stepping back a little just to comment in general, first of all the comment about no pay ... technically true, but I have seen some reasons for optimism in my parallel involvement with "Irish Weather Online" which in itself requires almost no additional work for me. But above and beyond that, I justify the effort simply on the basis of the friendly reaction of the Irish weather community over two or three years, which has made a rather minor commitment of time and effort very worthwhile.

Some have heard this before, but I can repeat the idea that the original concept of the thread "Your daily forecast from boards.ie" was actually meant to become a forum where boards members would discuss forecasts and keep a sort of running commentary that amounted to daily forecasts. For a while, it functioned somewhat like that but it attracted a few "trolls" who wanted to go into endless discussions of would a raindrop hit my windowpane at 1748 GMT and if not would I jump off a tall building in remorse?

That became somewhat tiresome as I was getting badly hurt jumping off the tall building every other day, so we narrowed the focus to daily forecasts take them or leave them. The number who have chosen to take them sometimes staggers my imagination. I had no preconceived notion of becoming some sort of Irish weather "source" and find the situation a challenge and at times a bit surreal since I am so far away and my own daily weather is sometimes so different that I have to make that effort to get into your head space and try to consider what terms will mean, what's going on locally and meso-scale, and also what range of possible outcomes there could be, since the effort is always to land somewhere near the middle of the target zone in these night-time jumps into dark terrain (it is so much easier to forecast the afternoon from the morning, than the day from the night).

Anyway, just thought I would mention those rather random thoughts. I'm hoping that a more rational basis for these efforts will eventually appear, because there would have to be a thought given to either retirement or delegation of part of the week to other forecasters. I've actually enjoyed this novel experiment of trying to forecast non-stop with just a few holiday breaks but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's just something that I got into doing on a smaller U.K. forum and so I was already up to speed when I jumped in here. It becomes a bit taxing on the mind when the weather gets stuck in a rut or fails to inspire. The more active, dynamic days that come along are easier to "get up" for and this is entirely a problem of being the sort of lone ranger that I am, I would imagine that shift work in a larger group setting would make the boring weather days a lot easier to take (thinking that oh well somebody's paying me to look at this dull easterly drizzle). :cool:

By the way, I am about to take a 2-week holiday in mid-August (hooray) and I believe that Su Campu will be providing you with your daily feed, so be to nice to him and don't throw stuff at him. He may actually have some clue what's going on as well, which can only be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

So you be checking different models the two weeks your off in August ? :D:D;)

Thanks for the forecaststs ... Most of the time i use this one and the ME one mix em up and will keep puzzling them into a forecast that suits me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

MT, you're humble, funny, intelligent, generous and you give great forecasts to boot .......will you marry me? :D:D:D:D

That sentence has already been handed down. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

M.T i just want to ask are you moving house or country!!! If this is under review may i mention a move to the west of Ireland were the weather is so unpredictable there:D somewhere in region of Connemara or Westport.:P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Im also an avid follower of MT's forecasts , brilliant work sir !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

just discovered this today. great work MTC. You have a new follower!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I look at his forecasts every morning and I find them the most accurate out of all others. Thanks MT!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I don't post that often but i do check M.Ts forecast everyday without failure. I find them very accurate and i think we are very lucky to have someone like M.T forecasting our weather. Well done and thanks M.T for all the hard work you put in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I recommend you to everyone for weather forecasts are you are always pretty spot on. ;)

Which is annoying me this week as im away on my sun holiday on Saturday just when it seems summer is arriving here, that drives me CRAZY!! :(
    Hate wasting my sun holiday on a week of warm weather here, its meant to p iss rain while im gone!!!

Any chance its still gonna be around from Monday 8th Aug? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Yeah great forecasts and check them most mornings but mostly in winter as that's my favourite time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I read M.t's forecasts daily too, I don't bother with any others now He seems to be spot on with his forecasts Thank you M.T Cranium :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's an in-depth interview with the man himself MTC (Peter O'Donnell) by Claire O'Connell of the Irish Times. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Would the previous presence of 'Cindy' in the North Atlantic have had any role in playing havoc with the weather predictions for this week?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Am a big fan of MTC's forecasts as well. I especially like that the way they tend to give some indepth information on the background conditions and trends that lead to the forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

stevenmu wrote: »
    Am a big fan of MTC's forecasts as well. I especially like that the way they tend to give some indepth information on the background conditions and trends that lead to the forecast.

Brillant stuff.... Thanks very much...

Who knows, you valuable knowledge could of saved life's of many mountaineers and sailors and what's more we can actually plan having a B-B-Que

I find myself checking my phone before opening the curtains to see "what it's like outside.."

Did you ever send in your C.V. to Met Eireann...?

Much appreciated,

WW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

MT, You rock! :D (need I say more?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Great stuff we are lucky to have access to your forecasts very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Seem to be getting a nice spell of weather now in Vancouver, here we would call that a "heatwave":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Enjoy your well earned holiers M.T... !

Brilliant stuff Su Campo..!

Thanks guys..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Hopefully the change of forecaster will bring the good weather, starting next week just to give Su a few days to settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If the thundery weather midweek comes to fruition it would be a toughie to forecast. Good luck Su.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

THURSDAY-SATURDAY ... Remnants of Irene tracking to the northwest and north of Donegal may bring frequent showers and stronger winds again, from the south at first then veering more westerly.

I knew the underground bunker would come in handy :pac:

I gather SC had no more luck than yours truly in finding any hot, sunny weather ... this is why we both go south for our holidays. :D

August has been very nice here (one day with rain while we were away), after a rather poor July and a dismal June. So one out of three.

You must try to visit the southwest U.S. some day, the scenery and the storms are both memorable. And you can find some good bargains in terms of low-cost motels and meals, but Las Vegas is very uneven, some things are a bargain, others could prove very expensive -- as Craig Ferguson would say, call me Tiffany.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭John mac

Thats where I went on my honeymoon many moons ago. :D

Tucson and Sedona are great for thunderstorms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

Great stuff mr t. .. First thing I read in the morning.Use it to plan what day of the week will I cut my lawn and you have been right I say 90% of the time:)

Started using this board last year and have learned lots from reading threads,

Advertisement