Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

who would like a cheap(er) arcade stick?

Options
  • 15-06-2011 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

ive been toying with an idea the last few days, im going to build myself an arcade stick for mame/consoles,

If i were to put together a few to the specs people asked for do you guys think there would be much of a demand for it if the price was right? id also build a few to go on ebay and the like, the sticks would be to a very good standard with a plexi or glass top with artwork underneath it.

mods: i am not selling sticks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Absolutely. I'm mad to build a bartop or Cab but a mix of my lack of woodwork skills and the woman's objections means for now a pc hooked up to the tv is my only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

yes, youd be exactly the type of person i would be aiming for. should end up being a higher quality stick than anything in a plastic case you can buy and it will be down to each individual what buttons/layout/artwork will go on the stick. and if say you were to just want the wooden case and perspex pre drilled for your layout that could be done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ooooh! This sounds interesting.

Are you just thinking about making them USB? Or are you open to the idea of console compatability?

I would absolutely kill for an arcade stick with all Seimitsu parts that could work with my 360 & Megadrive. If it's possible to fit a Saturn and PS2 controller PCB in there too then that'd be even better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ooooh! This sounds interesting.

Are you just thinking about making them USB? Or are you open to the idea of console compatability?

I would absolutely kill for an arcade stick with all Seimitsu parts that could work with my 360 & Megadrive. If it's possible to fit a Saturn and PS2 controller PCB in there too then that'd be even better :D

Just buy any recent decent stick and mod it with an MC Cuthulu PCB.

The Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SE has all Seimitsu parts.

Master of the Universe

Just buy any recent decent stick and mod it with an MC Cuthulu PCB.

The Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SE has all Seimitsu parts.

I thought about that a while ago. But the last time I checked the Cuthulu firmware version didn't support the Megadrive unfortunately.

I didn't know that about the Real Arcade Pro 2 SE. I assumed they'd all be using Sanwa parts. Hmmm, can't seem to see one on ebay!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    I thought about that a while ago. But the last time I checked the Cuthulu firmware version didn't support the Megadrive unfortunately.

I didn't know that about the Real Arcade Pro 2 SE. I assumed they'd all be using Sanwa parts. Hmmm, can't seem to see one on ebay!

Is Seimitsu > Sanwa or is down to personal taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Andrew76 wrote: »

Usually it's personal taste. I like Seimitsu LS sticks but with Sanwa OBSF buttons. Others would probably prefer it the other way around. The difference is noticeable.

the plan would be 360 or ps3 compatible but like it will be down to the customer so at the end of the day i could use any pcb

Master of the Universe

Depends what your playing. I don't play fighters, only shumps. The Seimitsu has a shorter throw on the stick so you can get more precise movements in to dodge through bullets. It's sikly so it is :D

Master of the Universe

weeder wrote: »
    the plan would be 360 or ps3 compatible but like it will be down to the customer so at the end of the day i could use any pcb

Cool! Sure give me a shout if the project ever gets going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

On the subject of arcade sticks I used a wireless PS3 arcade stick, the Hori one that also comes with Tekken6, I got two, one for the PS3 and one for the 360.
    They were only 40 each, including the game.
    Saw one in Game the other day, new but In a battered box, looking for 120!
    A good deal for an excellent stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Generally

Seimitsu = shmup
    Sanwa = fighter

Then theres the people who like Seimitsu sticks + Sanwa buttons :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I built an Ikea cab, basically a modified old lappy in a modified new Ikea Ramvik unit, only problem is that, as it stands, I'm using the Hori Tekken 6 wireless stick for control.
    It sits in the drawer and I take it out to play.
    Would it be possible to de-case it and mount in in a custom housing in the drawer?
    Could this be an easy mod?
    Ideas for Ikeas?

could do, though im not too familliar with how the buttons in it mount up but you could always hack it to use proper buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Relikk wrote: »
    Usually it's personal taste. I like Seimitsu LS sticks but with Sanwa OBSF buttons. Others would probably prefer it the other way around. The difference is noticeable.

Bit off topic, but did you used to play ST and Third Strike on GGPO a few years ago? The Irish flags used to really stick out back then, I was always under a UK flag, being in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I did, indeed. I remember your name from GGPO and I think from XBL, too? GGPO is too laggy for me these days since they introduced the KoF lobbies, especially on 3rd Strike. It won't matter soon with the release of 3SOE, anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SE is the rarest of all Hori sticks, you will probably never find one now.
    Came out in 2006, in extremely limited numbers (either <2000 or <500).

You can make a "replica" HRAP2SE with a standard HRAP, then swap in an LS-32 and Sanwa OBSF-30-RG buttons (the more expensive ones).

I really want to see if I can get a Suzo 500 (EuroStik); I keep hearing they're better than Sanwa JLF (not that that's hard, Seimitsu & Myoungshin are better too).

@OP: You will never be able to manufacture a stick for cheaper than a HRAP or Madcatz TE, and make a profit. Especially after tools & labour. Just FYI.
    I've tried!

253792_10150206275478613_726913612_7167340_5072681_n.jpg

im very pleased with this. did not use any plexi because i built it from what i had.

think ill snes padhack it

Master of the Universe

Looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I really want to see if I can get a Suzo 500 (EuroStik); I keep hearing they're better than Sanwa JLF (not that that's hard, Seimitsu & Myoungshin are better too).

Get outa hear with your Sanwa bashing Kiki.:pac:
    They are the ultimate stick for fighters.
    Although when it comes to SHUMPS they lack the precision BIG TIME.
    I'm still interested to try one of these Korean Fanta sticks you speak highly of.

• Advertisement

so im finished, used rustoleum hammered black from a very expensive aerosol can that is still taking finger prints after 3 days, needless to say i wont be buying it again, who knows maybe in tinned form it drys better, but at 14 quid for 400ml its not worth it imo, nice finish though.
    automotive paint again or vinyl wrap next time i think

264169_10150211336438613_726913612_7216024_2758385_n.jpg

270619_10150211336663613_726913612_7216028_5572721_n.jpg

269744_10150211337023613_726913612_7216034_4233346_n.jpg

264189_10150211337248613_726913612_7216040_297420_n.jpg

still considering building a few but i doubt they could be done cheaper than what you can buy in shops, but then again it is a nice wooden stick opposed to some plastic yoke and any pcb can go into it,

Learned my lesson from the bartop though and sealed the MDF first, no soakage atall was very nice.

Advertisement