Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My landlord is a smartass

• 16-11-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

So, the recession has been biting my Polish arse hard recently and I've ended up in a shared accommodation. :mad:

I'm sharing a house with three other folks. The thing is, our landlord keeps charging us for the ESB and oil heating without producing any bills. Needless to say he's overcharging, at least in my opinion...

My question to you good people is: how will I go about it? Should I tell him to feck off the next time I pay my rent and refuse to pay the ESB&heating until he produces the actual bills? Or maybe it would be better to pay and get him to put the amount I paid into my rent book which would give me the option of taking him into the small claims court?

I obviously want to sort it out in a civilized manner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

for ESB, maybe take your own meter readings and calculate it that way. as for oil, surely you just pay for the top up of oil when it needs filling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hubblebubble

.....or you could say to your landlord that you are having problems signing up for various things ie bill phone as you have no bills at your current address and could you maybe get the bills in your name ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Welcome to Ireland:D

The recession is biting my Irish arse hard too!

Get your house-mates together, talk to the landlord! Tell him straight out you want to get the bills sent to your home, surprised they aren't being sent to you anyway.

As for the oil, tell him that you will fill the kerosene tank yourselves and shop around because the price per litre varies. He is obviously trying to take advantage of you.

Good luck - hope you can sort this out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Tell your landlord he/she wont see a penny until you see the bills first. This is a no-brainer surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

I'd never pay a bill without seeing it, nor in my current situation (where I look after the bills) would I expect anyone to pay without seeing the bill. We all use the ESB so heres the bill you pay a third I pay a third everyones a loser except the ESB!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Pretty simple, get those bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

no bill - dont pay.

your entitled to see the bill if he refuses then hes pulling a fast one

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

I would never pay without seeing a bill. If he doesnt want to give one id ask for all the back dated ones too. or atleast the acc no so you can ring and get the previous monthly amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coffeenut

get the mprn number (or whatever they call it!) from the meter and ring ESB yourself. tell them you're resident in the property and that you want the bill changed over to your name and sent to the property address. the account is for the house, not the individual so they should be able to do that for you without too much hassle.

Advertisement