Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

History club: ideas?

• 14-09-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any ideas about what I could include in a history club in my school? I've never heard of such a club in an Irish school (or any school) but I think it would have good potential.

At the moment I'm thinking of the following:
      historical reenactments
      tours
      quizzes between classes and, eventually, with "history clubs" in other schools
      debates
      local history projects

All ideas will be welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

How about inviting different historians to give papers on particular topics with specific topics of interest for members? E.G. - sport history, famous people who went to your school, the history of the school, specific topics that may be covered by students for their special topic for the LC, topics that tie in with the LC course, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Debates are a great idea. The most obvious one that springs to mind is the Treaty, or the Act of Union parliamentary debates.

I debated both of these in college. Tremendous craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Balloon debates! The last one that I did, I decided to be Rasputin. Needless to say, it was a suicidal choice, mainly due to the fact that I was the only one thinking outside the box.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Balloon debates! The last one that I did, I decided to be Rasputin. Needless to say, it was a suicidal choice, mainly due to the fact that I was the only one thinking outside the box.:(

Rasputin! Interesting choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Great idea, but try to expand it beyond the curriculum. There's so many fascinating periods in history that aren't even touched in school. The fall of the Roman Republic, Charlemagne, Classical Greece...there's so much to choose from, it would seem a shame to have too narrow a focus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement