Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underrated and Overlooked Classic British Sitcoms

• 16-02-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone recommend underrated \ overlooked British sitcoms from the 'classic' period of 1970s and into 1980s?

I'm watching Rumpole of the Bailey and enjoying it - more for the character interplay than the courtroom stuff which I think is the weakest aspect of it.
    Trying to think what could I watch next...

I think I've already gotten through most of the major series e.g.
    Only Fools and Horses, Yes Minister, Likely Lads, Porridge, Rising Damp, The Good Life, Fawlty Towers, Allo Allo, Steptoe & Son, Minder, Blackadder.

But feel free to suggest an all time fave if I've missed it...

ps I've checked out Squirrels, Mind Your Language, Man About The House, The Lovers, To the Manor Born, Ever Decreasing Circles, Home to Roost, French Fields.

Any thoughts on Don't Wait Up?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭human 19

You could try "Sorry". Its one of those that seem great in the memory , but actually turn out to be not nearly as funny upon viewing decades later. Still mildly amusing, though. "Language, Timothy!"

You dont mention "Bless this House" which was a classic 70's one with Sid James

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks, I remember Sorry from first time around but Bless This House went under my radar... will defo check it out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tony H

Only When I Laugh (peter bowles ,richard wilson and james bolam)

Advertisement