Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm annoying my girlfriend with my love for Netflix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I can't find xfiles on Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭markc1184

My month's trial expires today but I received an email from Netflix this evening saying they couldn't authorise my Visa card. I went and re-entered all the info as per their request, and it seemed to do the trick. Then ten minutes later they sent the same email again. Anyone else having trouble using a Visa debit card?

I used a Visa debit and the payment went through no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Will they ever have new releases on it?

The library they have is mediocre at best. Actually no, I'm being too kind by saying its mediocre, its actually rubbish

It's 20c a day

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

My month's trial expires today but I received an email from Netflix this evening saying they couldn't authorise my Visa card. I went and re-entered all the info as per their request, and it seemed to do the trick. Then ten minutes later they sent the same email again. Anyone else having trouble using a Visa debit card?

Same problem.

Tried calling the bank, they said there was no problem.
    Called netflix, and they had no answers for me either..

Ulster bank by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My trial is nearly up, I'm spending more time browsing and going back to browsing, it's the kind of thing that if it were free I'd stop using after a month, rediscover it a few months later and think, why don't I watch this more often and then stop again after a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If you have a ps3 then get the US netflix, its so much better, the tv shows alone are worth having it for.

Family Guy
    American Dad
    How I Met Your Mother
    Battlestar Galactica
    Breaking Bad
    Friday Night Lights
    Boss
    Frasier
    Its Always Sunny In Philadelpia
    Arrested Development

to name but a few, thats hundreds of hours of tv right there and then you have smaller shows, well worth 6.99 a month. I got rid of a lot of dvds recently due to space issues and will be moving soon so dont want to lug them to another place, and the majority of what I got rid of is on netflix anyway, so i can watch them at any time now again, yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Soerenlp wrote: »
    Same problem.

Same trouble here, I'm with Ulster Bank. Its telling me my security code is wrong, but its not! Hope this is resolved soon, just a few episodes of Arrested Development left!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

krudler wrote: »
    If you have a ps3 then get the US netflix, its so much better, the tv shows alone are worth having it for.

How do you get US Netflix through the PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

If you search back this thread about 20 posts describing how.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »

Family Guy
    American Dad
    How I Met Your Mother
    Battlestar Galactica
    Breaking Bad
    Friday Night Lights
    Boss
    Frasier
    Its Always Sunny In Philadelpia
    Arrested Development

to name but a few, thats hundreds of hours of tv right there and then you have smaller shows, well worth 6.99 a month. I got rid of a lot of dvds recently due to space issues and will be moving soon so dont want to lug them to another place, and the majority of what I got rid of is on netflix anyway, so i can watch them at any time now again, yay!

Don't forget,

Grey's Anatomy
    Spartacus
    Sons of Anarchy
    South Park
    Lost
    Prison Break
    The Tudors
    The Walking Dead
    Heroes
    Supernatural
    The X Files
    Star Trek
    The Twilight Zone
    Stargate
    MacGyver
    Twin Peaks
    Columbo
    Bones
    Medium
    Luther
    Torchwood
    Futurama
    Downton Abbey
    Glee
    Mad Men
    Top Gear
    Scrubs
    Malcolm in the Middle

And so much more!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

same

The Wonder Years is on the US Netflix which is brilliant since you can't get it on DVD anywhere. Also The Larry Sanders Show which is brilliant.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Same trouble here, I'm with Ulster Bank. Its telling me my security code is wrong, but its not! Hope this is resolved soon, just a few episodes of Arrested Development left!

Spoke to UB and they said netflix are trying to put it through like a normal creditcard or something.. No idea basically.. So guess no more netflix for me then.
    Just cant be bothered to call Netflix again and speak to more people without a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Yeah my Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card doesn't seem to be working either.

Might it have something to do with the 3d secure system they use? You know if you make online purchases with the card as well as the usual details it then asks you for 3 random characters from the password you would have set? Netflix never sent me to that screen.

This might be the "trying to treat it like a normal credit card" issue discribed above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you're all getting the free month without the credit card becoming an issue until the end of the trial period, could you not use a different email address and the same card and get another free month or is the account matched by cc number and not email address?

Even if it is matched by cc, as it's not getting recognised could this work?

Faker74 wrote: »
    Yeah my Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card doesn't seem to be working either.

Might it have something to do with the 3d secure system they use? You know if you make online purchases with the card as well as the usual details it then asks you for 3 random characters from the password you would have set? Netflix never sent me to that screen.

This might be the "trying to treat it like a normal credit card" issue discribed above?

Strange, when you think that for you to get the trial they temporarily hold onto 6.99 off your CC if they can process that payment why not the rest of the time? I used Swirlcard Debit Mastercard that you put money on in shops, mine is due to go through on the 12th so will see how that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Same problem.

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Yeah, just to confirm, I'm Ulster Bank as well. Bah :(

Edit: Called Netflix there myself. The customer care said the system doesn't tell him why the card was declined, but he'd try it again. If it doesn't work, I should call my bank. He did confirm however, that the card was authorised no problem at the start of the trial as some of ye have alluded to above. He also confirmed that they do indeed accept Visa debit cards.

Now, I seem to remember when Ulster bank first offered the Visa debit card in lieu of Laser, there were absolutely shed-loads of sites that weren't accepting it at first. There was an absolutely huge thread on it here on boards (I'll see if I can dig it up). Might be a similar situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Called Netflix earlier in the day, they said as far as they could tell it was a problem with the bank and should call them.

Called Ulster Bank and they confirm they could see Netflix testing the authorization on the card (though not attempting to take any cash) earlier today, around the time I updated my details on Netflix to make sure they were correct.

Called Netflix again, they have confirmed they are having problems with some RBS group banks and they are working on it.

So basically, use another card for now or hold tight.

Oh and cross your fingers that the problems they are having with RBS group isn't a sign of imminent collapse of the bank!

Also - customer care on Netflix are pretty good and helpful, and on both occasions the operator seemed genuinely surprised / happy when I thanked them for their help... what kind of pricks are they dealing with the rest of the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I updated my payment method (Ulster bank visa debit) and I was able to resume streaming. I don't know if it will be an issue later or what.

• Advertisement

Faker74 wrote: »
    Called Netflix earlier in the day, they said as far as they could tell it was a problem with the bank and should call them.

Called Ulster Bank and they confirm they could see Netflix testing the authorization on the card (though not attempting to take any cash) earlier today, around the time I updated my details on Netflix to make sure they were correct.

Called Netflix again, they have confirmed they are having problems with some RBS group banks and they are working on it.

So basically, use another card for now or hold tight.

Oh and cross your fingers that the problems they are having with RBS group isn't a sign of imminent collapse of the bank!

Also - customer care on Netflix are pretty good and helpful, and on both occasions the operator seemed genuinely surprised / happy when I thanked them for their help... what kind of pricks are they dealing with the rest of the time?

Is it cut off the day its due if your payment doesn't get processed or do they allow you a day or 2?

Is it cut off the day its due if your payment doesn't get processed or do they allow you a day or 2?

Cut as soon as they dont recieve payment (when card fails).

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I updated my payment method (Ulster bank visa debit) and I was able to resume streaming. I don't know if it will be an issue later or what.

Y, you can do that until the payment fails (30-60 min after you change/update the card info) . Then you are cut off again..

Swampy wrote: »

This could be a case for Mulder and Scully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Y, you can do that until the payment fails (30-60 min after you change/update the card info) . Then you are cut off again..

Yeah, got cut off again. Balls anyway :(

Swampy wrote: »

It's on the US one not the Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Edit: Problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I have Visa Debit with PTSB so was worried I'd get cut off too,just checked my account a minute ago though and the 6.99 has been taken out,thank god.Don't think I could survive without my US netflix now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Ditto issue here with Ulster Bank Visa debit.

EDIT: rang Netflix about it. Obviously it's a known issue and they're working on it, but no ETA and no way to temporarily turn on the service in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Ditto with Ulster Bank just going to have to get the other half to set up her own account and use her PTSB Visa Deit but suppose on plus side will get another month free

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement