Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hotel failures !! Should I ask for more or settle?

• 10-11-2018 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all,

So basically I’ve booked into this reputable hotel in the UK.

I paid 300 for two nights this includes parking and breakfast. First night was perfect.

However during the second day/night (tonight) the following occurred.
    1. No parking in the car park. I had to wait for half an hour to be told by reception to park and pay for my own car at a nearby restaurant. I also didn’t have any sterling and they simply told me to go to a nearby tesco.

2. I was in my room for 2 hours with my Neighbour next door making huge noise with loud levels of music.

3. Those neighbours were also smoking weed and cannabis. The smell was also in my room for two hours.

I alerted management and they did the following:

They requested my neighbours to leave the hotel
    Refunded my parking
    Offer me the choice of moving to another room.
    And took 30% off my room bill for one night.

The room they moved me to is a smaller room with a smaller bed.

I rang down to reception and told them this. They said sorry and started quoting their policies about how guest are allowed to play music up until 10pm.
    They also said they can move me again to another room with a bigger bed.

I just told the girl that we can talk tomorrow and that I’m tired of dragging all my luggage throughour the hotel.

This has not been relaxing to say the least. I don’t think they are keen on refunding me my nights stay.

Should I request to be refunded or am I just being over dramatic.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Over dramatic. Hotel parking is first come first served. Noise next door was dealt with. Gesture made to you for inconvenience of moving rooms due to smell. Nothing more to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Hotels have other people, people who make noise, who also bring cars etc. The hotel cannot control every action of these other guests and have already made a very nice gesture for you, expecting anything more is just pure greed and exploitation on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Snotty wrote: »
    Hotels have other people, people who make noise, who also bring cars etc. The hotel cannot control every action of these other guests and have already made a very nice gesture for you, expecting anything more is just pure greed and exploitation on your behalf.

I wouldn't expect to pay £300 and have a fcuking disco going on in the adjoining room.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect to pay £300 and have a fcuking disco going on in the adjoining room.

Oh, was the hotel having the disco? No

The hotel asked the guests to leave when the issue was raised, what more could they have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I feel the hotel has been very reasonable and responsive in this situation. And I'd be happy to return to somewhere who made an effort to make my stay more comfortable despite others actions.

I've previously had a situation where the hotel valeted my car to a near by public car park. And upon leaving the hotel hit and drove over a sign. And I had to fight tooth and nail for them to accept some responsibility. As a result I won't be returning there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I stayed in a Northern Ireland hotel earlier this year that refunded my room cost in full when I complained about guest noise the following morning, they also had previously refunded a colleague who had a similar issue a couple of weeks earlier.

However as it would have been paid by my employer I didn't gain from it, (my boss did).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

They said sorry and started quoting their policies about how guest are allowed to play music up until 10pm.

seriously - That's a "Policy" of the hotel.??

I'd give it a two star rating on tripadvisor and let people know of their "policy"

People tend to ignore one star ratings - the best way of doing a bad rating is say that xy&z were acceptable, but serious issues around ab&c which were ignored by management. Never make it personal or use any derogatory language - this is how places gets bad reviews taken down.

But aside from that a full refund of that night's accommodation would be what I'd want and I wouldn't settle for less than 50% refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Caranica wrote: »
    Over dramatic. Hotel parking is first come first served. Noise next door was dealt with. Gesture made to you for inconvenience of moving rooms due to smell. Nothing more to be done
    Narcotic smoke is not a “smell”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Imo they did more than I’d expect most hotels do. Asking for anymore would just be greedy. You fell unlucky that the neighbors were loud and smoking weed, that could happen anywhere and at least they acknowledged it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd give it a two star rating on tripadvisor and let people know of their "policy"

People tend to ignore one star ratings - the best way of doing a bad rating is say that xy&z were acceptable, but serious issues around ab&c which were ignored by management. Never make it personal or use any derogatory language - this is how places gets bad reviews taken down.

But aside from that a full refund of that night's accommodation would be what I'd want and I wouldn't settle for less than 50% refund.

I don't want to stay in hotels were you have to be quite as mouse for your stay. 10pm is a perfectly exceptible time for a noise curfew. The hotel did nothing wrong for the OP. The guests next door were the problem and the hotel fixed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The hotel reacted very well to the problems. Other hotels might not have acted so quickly. Some other hotels might have offered you a free one or two nights stay in the future.

I think they did their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Narcotic smoke is not a “smell”

Cannabis is not a "narcotic"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

i suggest you write a letter. Can you explain what you think the hotel did wrong, and what you would have liked them to do?

EG parking. I suspect you think Hotel was at fault as you included it, and you state they refunded the parking. Are you unhappy with that action? If so what do you think should have been done & what is reasonable?

Anti social guests in hotel. Hotel ejected them. that's the correct action, no?

Residual smell - offered you a different room. Again reasonable attempt to resolve the issue?

At the end they offered you 30% off your room, as a sorry. Do you think given the above they should refund the entire stay? If so why?

when the letter is written; read it, and decide yourself if the hotels actions were reasonable, and what actions you would have preferred. Then decide if you want to send the letter.

I guarantee you haven't stayed in a hotel that didn't have this policy, tv/music over a certain level ends at 10pm, this is completely standard, Crown had TVs that reduce the top volume on the tv in commerical rooms, that was 10.30pm.
    I can't believe you are actually suggesting to put a bad review TripAdvisor over this, but TripAdvisor is full for ridiculous complaints, thankfully most people know the reviews that are genuine and those left by fools.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"hotel" TVs in the past always had a timed volume cap; the ability to load software for webTV/pay per view/etc on to generic Chinese TVs has killed off the purchase of 'proper' hotel TVs. Nokia were the leaders in this sector until flat panels came in, then it was Philips.

Advertisement