Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Uber eats

Options
  • 10-11-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just a quick post to warn people that Uber eats has <SNIP> both myself and partner over the last few days. Starts out strange when signing up, where the verification code arrives through a saved contact on your phone e.g your mam,dad, sister, brother etc . Takes out the money within a few minutes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How does the code arrive? Text, email?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Sounds like a scam using Uber's name rather than Uber scamming you. Unless you're in Belfast, I don't think Uber Eats even operate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Yea sounds like you've signed up through the wrong website or something. That doesn't make any sense that it's come from another contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭timtim2016

Downloaded the app off the Google play store, signed up to it like normal, they send you out a verification code but it comes through as if one of your contacts has text you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JohnC. wrote: »
    Sounds like a scam using Uber's name rather than Uber scamming you. Unless you're in Belfast, I don't think Uber Eats even operate here.

Are they not the ones running the new McDonalds delivery service here?

• Advertisement

timtim2016 wrote: »
    Downloaded the app off the Google play store, signed up to it like normal, they send you out a verification code but it comes through as if one of your contacts has text you

something wrong with your phone or internet. Have tried it on a couple of devices just to check and it works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Op, what does uber achieve by scamming you?

Pelvis wrote: »
    Op, what does uber achieve by scamming you?

The OP already mentioned them taking money. I'd say that's reason enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would be fairly certain that you have a phone with a virus and the "play store" is not actually the play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

How do they take money out? Did you provide card details in that app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

L1011 wrote: »
    I would be fairly certain that you have a phone with a virus and the "play store" is not actually the play store.

If this even was a thing you'd still have to allow unknown sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

I installed and used uber eats with no issues on friday. Confirmation no was not from a previously stored number. Got a tenner off the first order too.

I think anything might be possible here, apart from the fact that its actually Uber eats. The OP has a virus or has lost there way somewhere.

Patww79 wrote: »
    The OP already mentioned them taking money. I'd say that's reason enough.

You do know Uber is worth billions?

I just threw up people to warn, no second agenda and i don't work for rivals, just my own and my partner's experience. We both downloaded the app from the play store, filled n the details, few hours later permanent tsb contacted about strange transactions, I checked my online banking and Uber eats BV Amsterdam had taken 3 transactions totalling about 50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is not possible.

You've done something wrong. As in fkd up the setup.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It absolutely is a thing, and once you've enabled unknown sources - which hundreds of thousands of people did to install Fortnite for instance - you don't need to do it again.

listermint wrote: »
    This is not possible.

You've done something wrong. As in fkd up the setup.
    Everything was normal, the same way you fill in any other forms online

L1011 wrote: »
    It absolutely is a thing, and once you've enabled unknown sources - which hundreds of thousands of people did to install Fortnite for instance - you don't need to do it again.

It's slightly different in Android 9 (app by app basis) but yeah, if you turn it on you need to turn it back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Works fine for me and no issue with the service.

I’d contact them about it - somewwhere along the process it looks like you were scammed but I’d be doubtful it was through Uber.

Will the banks reverse the transactions?

• Advertisement

PopTarts wrote: »
    Works fine for me and no issue with the service.

I’d contact them about it - somewwhere along the process it looks like you were scammed but I’d be doubtful it was through Uber.

Will the banks reverse the transactions?
    Hopefully they will, I'm certain it wasn't Uber aswell, it was just a strange scam wherever they caught me because I put in no bank details

Just a quick post to warn people that Uber eats has <SNIp> both myself and partner over the last few days. Starts out strange when signing up, where the verification code arrives through a saved contact on your phone e.g your mam,dad, sister, brother etc . Takes out the money within a few minutes

Verification code arriving through a saved contact should have been warning enough. Uber didn’t scam you. Scammers did.

Just a quick post to warn people that Uber eats has <SNIP> both myself and partner over the last few days. Starts out strange when signing up, where the verification code arrives through a saved contact on your phone e.g your mam,dad, sister, brother etc . Takes out the money within a few minutes

Verification code arriving through a saved contact should have been warning enough. Uber didn’t scam you. Scammers did.
    I know Uber didn't

I know Uber didn't

Well that's not what you said in your OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I know Uber didn't

That's not what you said in your OP

Pelvis wrote: »
    I know Uber didn't

Well that's not what you said in your OP.
    It's Uber eats, I know it's connected to Uber, but it was Uber eats app that I got <SNIP> with, that's who took the money, Uber eats BV Amsterdam

Look, you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

You didn't give them any bank details, did they guess your bank details?

Please, get off the internet. It's not safe for you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just threw up people to warn, no second agenda and i don't work for rivals, just my own and my partner's experience. We both downloaded the app from the play store, filled n the details, few hours later permanent tsb contacted about strange transactions, I checked my online banking and Uber eats BV Amsterdam had taken 3 transactions totalling about 50 euro

OP- please stop saying scammed. Uber is a large company and it’s highly unlikely they have done anything illegal here.

dudara

I downloaded Uber Eats at the weekend on my iPhone. I don’t recall having to enter my credit card details at any point. The fact that you did is making me very suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

To setup an account with Uber eats, you need to scan in a debit/credit card.

Thats as far as i got, i didnt actually enter any details.

• Advertisement

That's the way it comes up for me. Maybe the mobile is randomly generated and it happened to match one in your contacts? Still doesn't explain the money going though.

qn8tmu.png

Advertisement