Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CNN Reporter "assaults" White House intern

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What utter nonsense. Assault? The footage shows Acosta holding onto the mic and saying "pardon me, ma'am," when she tries to take it away. This is just an effort by the White House to bar a reporter because they don't like the kinds of questions he was asking.

Come on, you’re looking at it through the biased filter of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Acosta? I hardly knew her!

The other reporter who stood up for him is currently on the way to Guantanamo on charges relating to the planning of 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

megaten wrote: »
    Is that not just the difference between the reporting and opinion sections of Fox News? When people complain about Fox News my understanding its stuff like panels shows and the like.

Sure, but my point is that the reporting part of CNN, MSNBC et al had actual meltdowns when it became clear that the "wrong" candidate was going to get elected, and they held off on admitting this for as long as was humanly possible. The amount of mental gymnastics they pulled to deny simply reporting facts that night was quite astounding. There are several YouTube accounts which have the full eight hours of CNN's coverage up, and it's astounding just how transparent the whole team's preference for one candidate, and belief that there's a "right" and "wrong" result in an election, becomes as the program progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

theguzman wrote:
    Imagine the uproar and accusations of Racism if a reporter from Fox News treated Obama like that back in the day. I'm not a Trump fan but this guy was being a jerk and CNN are so biased they are a joke. I think CNN are far more biased than Fox News even during the Bush years.

Here's the thing, Obama would have answered a question & politely at that. Obama was president 8 years & I challenge anyone to provide a video of him treating any interviewer in such a way. Trump isn't in office two years yet and he's behaved like this dozens of times.

Talk about fake news all you want but every leader from just about every country thinks his a muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Best reality show ever, hopefully it doesn't get cancelled in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Why do people care so much about the bull sh*t, nothing to do with policy, that surrounds the American presidency, all the way over there in America?

Just watch the West Wing lads and stop filling boards with Trump w*nkathons.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

I don't think this is a case of petty squabbles for or against Trump, this incident is a blatant attack on democracy.

The press is the only agency that provides the people with any accountability, and yes its a flawed body, but it's the only one we have. A journalist has to ask uncomfortable questions in order to provide the public with the information they're entitled to.
    That this man is shouted down and verbally abused is one thing, that he then lose his job as a White House reporter because he's been banned for physically assaulting a woman, sullied with a slur over something he did not do and we all can see that he did not do, is a very scary development in the Western World.

This one can't be let pass. This would mark the beginning of us accepting to let modern democracy slide into being political orbits like China and Russia, where people who look for accountability of power or speak truth end up in jail for crimes they didn't commit or worse.

yeah yeah, that's all true - but only to America because that's where this took place, and that's where Trump is relevant.

so your point is moot. this is boards.IE in IRELAND have you forgotten?

why does everyone trot out the "most powerful man in the world" ****e when defending their hatred of the US president?

it still doesnt affect us in Ireland, no matter what way you try to warp it.

There are plenty of people over 30 here. The most powerful man in the world - yeah I think it's reasonable to have views on him when he tries to distort reality. As if people here didn't have views on Reagan or Nixon or Kennedy.

And wow, talk about missing the point, which is that the woman WAS NOT assaulted - that's what those who are critical of Trump are saying, hence no condemnation by "the lesbian feminists" (lol).

Is it only those here who are against Trump that you've a problem with? What about people here who wear MAGA hats? Much weirder.

How about people who are indifferent to him a lot of the time, disagree with him other times and agree with him other times?

i just think that when we are all quick enough to call out "trolling" or "dont feed the troll" etc online, then why not use the same logic in this situation?

no i have a problem with gimps wearing maga hats too - but lets be honest here, that isnt half as widespread as the bandwagonry of "hating trump" - why? because some horrible vacuous millionaire celebrity told you to on an instagram story?

get real - we live in ireland, not the usa.

i dont care for views on foreign politics unless it directly affects me, here in ireland, to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Acosta by name acosta by nature… amirite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Not a trump fan but the way the reporter conducted himself was horrible.
    Liberals will shout and scream for everyone’s rights except the rights of those they don’t like.

• Advertisement

Why do people care so much about the bull sh*t, nothing to do with policy, that surrounds the American presidency, all the way over there in America?

Just watch the West Wing lads and stop filling boards with Trump w*nkathons.

EXACTLY!!!!

people so quick to be calm and say "dont feed the troll"? yet they feed the biggest troll of all - trump! ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Not a trump fan but the way the reporter conducted himself was horrible.
    Liberals will shout and scream for everyone’s rights except the rights of those they don’t like.

How do you expect reporters to act?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Iamlegend24

Come on he clearly shoves her away. Add in the fact that she was embarrassed in front of the whole world so im sure there is some sort of pysch affect that she will have to overcome

The intern had no problem bull dozing her way over to grab the mic....she most certainly invaded his personal space whilst trying to shut him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ipso wrote: »
    Come on, you’re looking at it through the biased filter of reality.

Exactly. You can't trust reality - it has a well documented liberal bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

i just think that when we are all quick enough to call out "trolling" or "dont feed the troll" etc online, then why not use the same logic in this situation?

no i have a problem with gimps wearing maga hats too - but lets be honest here, that isnt half as widespread as the bandwagonry of "hating trump" - why? because some horrible vacuous millionaire celebrity told you to on an instagram story?

i dont care for views on foreign politics unless it directly affects me, here in ireland, to some degree.
    There's nothing untoward about having an interest in something that doesn't affect you. E.g. history, geography of far-flung places, and American policy can have a knock-on global effect.

Also, why is it just a case of hating Trump? I am often indifferent to him, occasionally I find myself even agreeing with him, and at other times I object to what he says or does. I can think for myself and obviously people are easily able to explain why they have a problem with Trump and don't need to be told by a millionaire on Instagram. Silly pot shot. I don't follow any "celebs" on any social media channel.

Sometimes people do overblow things Trump says or does but here is an example of his administration being extremely underhanded and hypocritical and that is not good in a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The same way as if they were standing in front of Obama. Like it or not, he’s the elected president of the land of the free. Having a bit of respect for the president of the country isn’t too much to ask and by the sounds of it, it’s not acostas first rodeo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Er ... given the number of Irish people working at US multinationals, Trump's policies on trade and taxes could directly affect many people in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

The same way as if they were standing in front of Obama. Like it or not, he’s the elected president of the land of the free. Having a bit of respect for the president of the country isn’t too much to ask and by the sounds of it, it’s not acostas first rodeo

Obama isn't the one accusing them of inciting violence. Would you rather they coddle him like child?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Difference being, Obama treated the media with respect. Respect isn't something that you give to someone just because they're elected to a position, you can respect the office and title without respecting the man. Trump has shown nothing but disdain for the media who for the very most part are reporting the news factually as they should. Trump's disdain for the media because of this has led to a lot of animosity towards journalists and media, not to mention the pipe bomb sent to CNN specifically.

Respect is earned, not elected. Trump has done little to earn the respect of the media.

Penn wrote: »
    Difference being, Obama treated the media with respect. Respect isn't something that you give to someone just because they're elected to a position, you can respect the office and title without respecting the man. Trump has shown nothing but disdain for the media who for the very most part are reporting the news factually as they should. Trump's disdain for the media because of this has led to a lot of animosity towards journalists and media, not to mention the pipe bomb sent to CNN specifically.

Respect is earned, not elected. Trump has done little to earn the respect of the media.

Ultimately it comes down to character. Trump is a bullsh1tter of the highest order (and it's hilarious that many of his supporters claim to be fed up with dishonest politicians), has a massive ego, is really thin skinned and can't stand criticism.
    Think the worse pub bore you have ever encountered and turn him up to 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

why put an intern in the firing line? why are they the ones in the crowd trying to grab mics away from reporters? why is anyone trying to grab mics away from reporters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Obama wasnt treated the way Trump is.

All this nostalgia back to Obamas time in power, what has he to show for his achievements.

He didnt even get a good health care plan through and this is what most Americans are concerned about. They arent concerned about what Trump says about Hondurans coming to the border but if they think this Hondurans are going to have to be maintained by the State then they will agree with Trump. The wealthier Americans who have health insurance and have their pensions sorted wont get too exercised by immigration, immigrants arent going to be living in their areas and nor are they going to affect access to health insurance.

Trump is right about the immigration, every country needs to protect its borders and no matter how much the media beat the drum about diversity when people go to the polls they will vote for someone who will be strong on illegal immigration and thats Trump.

That CNN reporter was way out of line, he should have handed the mic over, the room was full of reporters and they all probably wanted to speak. He should apologise to that intern too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Their job is to hold him to account. There was nothing disrespectful about the way the reporter spoke to Trump. He's such an overtly weird, crass, over-the-top, clownish figure, there's almost something too respectful about the way people address him. Respect should be earned, and not merely bestowed upon someone because of the office they hold, regardless of how they conduct themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Assault or no assault the reporter was out of line and showed no respect to The Donald.

He should of gave up the microphone when prompted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The same way as if they were standing in front of Obama.

I would not want the media behaving as they did towards Obama. They were far too deferential to him and basically let him off for eight years giving easy answers to softball questions. Jim Acosta to Obama:

I wanted to ask you about what some people are calling 'your best week ever' last week. You had two Supreme Court decisions supportive of the Affordable Care Act and of gay rights. You also delivered a speech down in Charleston that was pretty warmly received. It seems that you've built up some political capital for the remaining months of your presidency. I'm curious, how you want to use it?

An ass-kissing journalist gushing over the president's "best week ever" is not doing his job, and yet this was the kind of thing we came to expect during Obama's presidency. I expect reporters to ask hard-hitting and incisive questions that make politicians justify their decisions. They shouldn't be disrespectful, but they should do their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Like RTE reporters.

tretorn wrote: »
    Obama wasnt treated the way Trump is.

All this nostalgia back to Obamas time in power, what has he to show for his achievements.

He didnt even get a good health care plan through and this is what most Americans are concerned about. They arent concerned about what Trump says about Hondurans coming to the border but if they think this Hondurans are going to have to be maintained by the State then they will agree with Trump. The wealthier Americans who have health insurance and have their pensions sorted wont get too exercised by immigration, immigrants arent going to be living in their areas and nor are they going to affect access to health insurance.

Trump is right about the immigration, every country needs to protect its borders and no matter how much the media beat the drum about diversity when people go to the polls they will vote for someone who will be strong on illegal immigration and thats Trump.

That CNN reporter was way out of line, he should have handed the mic over, the room was full of reporters and they all probably wanted to speak. He should apologise to that intern too.

You've got bad memory.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trumps-history-raising-birther-questions-president-obama/story?id=33861832

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

2016: "I'd love to punch that protestor in the face. In the old days, he'd be carried out on a stretcher"

2018: "Assault by Acosta on a poor little female intern! He's a terrible nasty rude person"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

ricero wrote: »
    Assault or no assault the reporter was out of line and showed no respect to The Donald.

He should of gave up the microphone when prompted.

He doesn't deserve respect. He and Saunders lie to reporters all the time. It's the reporters job to ask questions to hold the government to account and that's all he was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

tretorn wrote: »

The irony being that Trump couldn't give a flying fúck about illegals. Like every bit of gibberish that comes out of his mouth, it's simply a method of stoking his supporters, priming them for the next time they'll be needed. Why do you think he spends so much time campaigning as opposed to actually....... doing his job.
    The caravan is already long forgotten, just like this wall he loved talking about.

Trump's one and only interest is lining his families pockets and staying out of prison long enough to get as much as possible. That's all.

Advertisement