Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google maps integration expense?

• 07-11-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Is there an initial charge to get google maps api key? It says that I need to type in my Credit Card information and create an account. I don't really like the idea of entering payment information.

Can anyone tell me if Google are going to take some hidden charges from my card when I set up my account. Realistically, how much am I going to end up paying each month to have google maps working on my site. I have a new estate agent business and I am just getting going and building my website.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Is there an initial charge to get google maps api key? It says that I need to type in my Credit Card information and create an account. I don't really like the idea of entering payment information.

Can anyone tell me if Google are going to take some hidden charges from my card when I set up my account. Realistically, how much am I going to end up paying each month to have google maps working on my site. I have a new estate agent business and I am just getting going and building my website.

Thanks

They give you $250 free credit a year. You'd want to be doing a hell of a lot of queries to reach that threshold I think.

This is only a new thing they've introduced and that's why you're seeing a lot of Google maps not working on websites at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

John_Mc wrote: »
    They give you $250 free credit a year. You'd want to be doing a hell of a lot of queries to reach that threshold I think.

This is only a new thing they've introduced and that's why you're seeing a lot of Google maps not working on websites at the moment.

So there is no initial charges involved? Is it really necessary to enter card information to get the API?

So there is no initial charges involved? Is it really necessary to enter card information to get the API?

Yes you need to give them payment details but there's no charge until you use up your credit. You'd need big usage over a year to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

https://developers.google.com/maps/previous-pricing

It's free for up to 25,000 map loads per day

daymobrew wrote: »
    https://developers.google.com/maps/previous-pricing

It's free for up to 25,000 map loads per day

It's not like that now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

John_Mc wrote: »
    It's not like that now though
    Sorry, you're right.

Here's the new pricing sheet: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/sheet/
    It says that you get $200 Monthly Credit.

For Dynamic Maps, at 7.00 USD per 1000, it works out at over 28,000 free map loads per month.

Yes, that's a dramatic reduction but should not affect most casual users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Came across above discussion.

I currently use the Javascript maps API and get a bill each month. The usage is small and the small bill amount which is well under the 256.22 Euro limit is refunded.So the bill is always 0.

I see also from the google cloud console that the free trial ends on 11 July 2019. Question is what happens after this date ? I assume that there will be no credit applied and the monthly amounts will be actually billed.

Is this correct ? I have been unable to find any definite information anywhere on what happens after

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Came across above discussion.

I currently use the Javascript maps API and get a bill each month. The usage is small and the small bill amount which is well under the 256.22 Euro limit is refunded.So the bill is always 0.

I see also from the google cloud console that the free trial ends on 11 July 2019. Question is what happens after this date ? I assume that there will be no credit applied and the monthly amounts will be actually billed.

Is this correct ? I have been unable to find any definite information anywhere on what happens after

Google Cloud and the use of the API's are separate.

The API's will continue to be given the free credit.

However Google Cloud is given as a 12 month trial or $300 credit. Whichever ends first.

However Google Cloud is given as a 12 month trial or $300 credit. Whichever ends first.

Just coming back to this saw the following message when logged into the cloud console today:

"Unlock more of Google Cloud Platform by upgrading now (€256.22 credit and 120 days left in your free trial)."

From what you are saying I can ignore these messages (i.e. not upgrade whatever that entails) and after 120 days will still be able to log into the console and still have the API free credit ?

The year's trial has expired today. If you click the "Locate the Nearest Stops'

button on https://yourstop.info

you will see if says for development purposes only. I cannot see how to continue getting free API credit. Can anyone help ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I get "No stops have been detected near you"

That happens when the system thinks there are no stops within 100km of where you are. It shouldn't if you are in Ireland unless you are using a VPN with an IP elsewhere.

In this case select one of the regions and click "Browse Stops" and you will see the for development purposes only message on the map

Message in google console is:

"Your free trial is over, but your Google Cloud Platform journey doesn't have to be. To restore your services, upgrade by 10 August 2019."

Message in google console is:

"Your free trial is over, but your Google Cloud Platform journey doesn't have to be. To restore your services, upgrade by 10 August 2019."

Went through with the "upgrade" in the console now that the trial is finished. Nothing much happened except that the billing account went from a state of "closed" to "active" and I have access to Google Maps again.

I cannot see anything in the console that tells me whether or not the free tier is still applied and don't know whether or not I will be billed real amounts (as opposed to having a balance of 0 EUR these past 12 months.) Anyway I've set alerts and lowered quotas and will just have to wait and see.

It's an entirely self funded and non profit application and usage is low but if I do see bills I will be looking at open source alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

https://developers.arcgis.com/ is freely available with usage limits of 1 million map or address queries per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm
    "[12th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page or have had to use alternative providers."

https://obeattie.github.io/gmaps-radius/?lat=51.500358&lng=-0.125506&z=10&u=mi&r=5
    "⚠️ I am sorry this tool isn't working properly.
    Google has recently started charging for its Maps API, and I got billed >$1000 for people's use of this tool during August 2018. I can't afford this, so I have had to disable the billing for now. This is why you now see ugly warnings over the map. I am trying to work with Google to get this fixed without costing me lots of money, but I don't know if that will be possible. If you have any clever ideas, ping me on Twitter @obeattie."

Thanks guys. There is a big development effort in using any maps API, unfortunately its not something you can change at the drop of a hat.

If I were to change would want to be fairly confident that it would stay free. I gather something like openstreetmaps will always be open source and free.

Thanks guys. There is a big development effort in using any maps API, unfortunately its not something you can change at the drop of a hat.

If I were to change would want to be fairly confident that it would stay free. I gather something like openstreetmaps will always be open source and free.

OSM will always be open, however be careful using their tiles as you will get blocked if you are hitting the servers too much.

There are a number of tile providers that are based on OSM, e.g. Mapbox that are ready made for apps, sites etc which allow a high degree of customisations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

OSM will always be open, however be careful using their tiles as you will get blocked if you are hitting the servers too much.

There are a number of tile providers that are based on OSM, e.g. Mapbox that are ready made for apps, sites etc which allow a high degree of customisations

Is Mapbox free to use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is Mapbox free to use ?
    Mapbox is a pay as you go service. The pricing is visible on the website - Mapbox Pricing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement