Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heath science careers

• 02-11-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey sorry if this is in the wrong place, I still am not too sure how this site works!

I’m currently in 5th year (17 years old) and I’m trying to decide what career I’d be best suited too and am looking for some advice. I originally had my sights set on medicine but have since realized that I wouldn’t be to keen on spending all of my young life studying and I hope to travel a lot and continue to play sport. I am willing to work extremely hard to achieve a good degree but really don’t want to ‘live to work’.
    My favorite subjects are bio and chemistry but I like all subjects and learning in general. I can see myself having a career in health sciences but really DO NOT want to end up working in research/ in a lab or with too much technology. I know it’s not all about money but realistically I would like a job that pays moderately well and has decent hours. I wouldn’t mind traveling for work but would like to have a settled family when I’m a bit older😊 The only college I can go to is NUIG as I live in Galway and can’t afford to leave home and also have commitments here. Was thinking of biomed maybe? What jobs could come out of that? Would a medical liaison job be ideal? Thank you, I’d appreciate any thoughts at all !!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Little Less Conversation

You'll be 19 starting college. NUIG has a 5 and 6 year medicine course. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two courses but even at 5 years, you'll be finished at 23. You'll only be beginning in life then. So it's not spending all your young adult life studying. Had a cousin who did medicine and she traveled the world with it. So don't give up on the medicine route because you think you'll be too old to do anything when you finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Start by asking yourself what about medicine attracts you to it, what about working in a lab with technology puts you off. Why healthcare.

Most, if not all, healthcare careers require continuous study. Granted, it's not as intensive as school or college but it is still there. And you're also correct that medicine requires a lot of study as an NCHD too but med school trains you for that. You don't get through med school without strong study skills! Lots of consultants have spent part of their NCHD training abroad.

Biomed in NUIG isn't a vocational degree. It doesn't qualify you for any specific healthcare career. It's the same as a BSc in microbiology or biochemistry.
    Biomed in GMIT is essentially a BSc in pathology and it is a vocational degree that will qualify you to work in a diagnostic lab. Within it there are a few career paths some very manual others very automated. The Irish qualification is at quite a high level and it's fairly easy to travel with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Galway200601

Thanks for your reply! I guess I’ve just had a lot of doctors and med students tell me to avoid medicine for that reason as well as the poor working conditions. But I suppose that with any good career it will involve a lot of commitment in your earlier years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

What about Pharmacy, Radiography, Physiotherapy. There's a lot of health care careers. You've plenty of time to decide. Try and actually talk to people who work in the areas you're interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lvoc

I would probably advise against medicine tbh. While there are less onerous or non clinical options (GP/Occupational heath/public health) you would still have to do some years as an NCHD in hospital medicine. Being on call sounds like exactly what you want to avoid (horrible hours, unsocial, can be very stressful)!
    Would you consider doing a health science related course in Galway and then doing the physician associate masters with RCSI? I presume they have no on call duties but it would still be clinical work and I believe the salary is reasonable. They are currently employing them in Beaumont.
    Apologies, not sure how to post link but if you Google RCSI physician associate you'll find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

lvoc wrote: »
    I would probably advise against medicine tbh. While there are less onerous or non clinical options (GP/Occupational heath/public health) you would still have to do some years as an NCHD in hospital medicine. Being on call sounds like exactly what you want to avoid (horrible hours, unsocial, can be very stressful)!
    Would you consider doing a health science related course in Galway and then doing the physician associate masters with RCSI? I presume they have no on call duties but it would still be clinical work and I believe the salary is reasonable. They are currently employing them in Beaumont.
    Apologies, not sure how to post link but if you Google RCSI physician associate you'll find it.

Lol at the suggestion that GP is less onerous than hospital medicine. That’s from someone who did 8 years of hospital medicine before GP.

OP, medicine isn’t great in Ireland but with a small amount of effort you can work abroad in many English speaking countries. The giving up sport/life in college idea is a misnomer, There were international athletes, intercounty GAA players and serious club players in my class. I wasn’t too sporty but I definitely had a life outside of medicine. It takes organisation but it’s definitely doable.

All the best with your decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lvoc

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Lol at the suggestion that GP is less onerous than hospital medicine. That’s from someone who did 8 years of hospital medicine before GP.

OP, medicine isn’t great in Ireland but with a small amount of effort you can work abroad in many English speaking countries. The giving up sport/life in college idea is a misnomer, There were international athletes, intercounty GAA players and serious club players in my class. I wasn’t too sporty but I definitely had a life outside of medicine. It takes organisation but it’s definitely doable.

All the best with your decision making.

With regard to the reference to GP all I mean is that there is no mandatory on call commitment. Other than that it is is as difficult if not more so in some ways. Apologies if any offence caused, it was not intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

lvoc wrote: »
    With regard to the reference to GP all I mean is that there is no mandatory on call commitment.

Yes there is.

Advertisement