Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 T42

oOJynxOo wrote: »
    Hi, I've decided to get satellite broadband cos I live way out in the country. I was going to get a digiweb package, but I've read that their service is unreliable. I'm just within Ripplecom's coverage, but I don't know if they are any better. Does anyone have experience with Ripplecom or any opinion of their service?

Like you i'm out in the country, no decent BB, so I got Satellite Broadband for www.toowaysat.ie, working great, no problems so far, got phone as well. Would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Hi, I've decided to get satellite broadband cos I live way out in the country. I was going to get a digiweb package, but I've read that their service is unreliable. I'm just within Ripplecom's coverage, but I don't know if they are any better. Does anyone have experience with Ripplecom or any opinion of their service?

I'm out in the sticks too. Not sure if you are talking about the satellite service, or customer service with Digiweb? I've had a good experience with both. Satellite has its warts, high latency and low monthly download limits being the most glaring. But I was a Digiweb satellite customer for two years up to three years ago, and have now gone back to them on the new KA-Band (Tooway) satellite service. Three years ago I was paying an outrageous €120/month for half a megabit, now it's half that amount for 8 megabits. (In the intervening three years I went with a wireless provider which turned out to be an absolutely unmitigated disaster). In two and a bit years of usage, I have never had a connection outage with satellite, and the download speed has never wavered from exactly the nominal connection speed. The other thing that I am finally doing successfully is VoIP which is saving me a small fortune -- something I wasn't able to do with wireless or 3G. (That said, I'm using IP phones with a particular setting that allows VoIP over satellite; didn't get it to work with X-Lite softphone; your mileage may vary). I upgraded from 6MB package to 8MB package last week, not for the bandwidth but for the increased download allowance, since that is the really stingy bit of most Tooway offerings. Digiweb told me they were doing a bonus 25GB monthly download allowance until September. I asked what happens after September but they said "wait and see". But apart from the pathetic download limits I am a happy customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 oOJynxOo

Thanks for the info. It was a huge help. I'm off to research Tooway now. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Keep in mind the latency with satellite broadband. I've been quoted a 650ms delay with qsat. This is fast. Expect anything up to 1500ms delay with some providers.

The data has to go all the way up into space and back down again.

This makes gaming impossible and VOIP poor.

Keep in mind the latency with satellite broadband. I've been quoted a 650ms delay with qsat. This is fast. Expect anything up to 1500ms delay with some providers.

The data has to go all the way up into space and back down again.

This makes gaming impossible and VOIP poor.

Are you saying that, because of latency, gaming is impossible on all satellite broadband?

• Advertisement

On residential satellite broadband, yes, gaming will be so laggy it will be unplayable. Don't even go near First Person Shooters. RPG games or games like World Of Warcraft (Or Forsaken World) may work without any issue as ping (latency) is not quite as important with those games.

If you use internet telephone, there will be a 1 to 2 second delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

If you can get any other form of broadband I'd choose that over satellite.
    Satellite is awful for most normal broadband things, contrary to what those selling it may say (or those pimping it)

On residential satellite broadband, yes, gaming will be so laggy it will be unplayable. Don't even go near First Person Shooters. RPG games or games like World Of Warcraft (Or Forsaken World) may work without any issue as ping (latency) is not quite as important with those games.

If you use internet telephone, there will be a 1 to 2 second delay.

Gaming is a big part of what I want to do online. This is a disappointment because I wasn't aware of the lag problem. I'll have to look into alternatives. You helped me avoid dropping a great big clanger! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

My contract is up next month with Eircom. I want to get rid of the phone and just keep the Tv & broadband. Are UPC the best crowd to go with.

I'm in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

My contract is up next month with Eircom. I want to get rid of the phone and just keep the Tv & broadband. Are UPC the best crowd to go with.

Petty much their speeds can't be beaten by any other provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 goosey11

hi all im just wondering does anyone know what internet providers are in my area..i m not sure but i think the only choice i have is satellite broadband..is this any good its exspensive i know but it may be last resort..im currently using o2 but all i get is the edge service..its pretty ****....i live ouside ahascragh near ballinasloe..
    thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Isn't there a website that tells you what providers cover your own area. Might be moving house soon so have been looking for this site. Saw it a couple of years ago. Cant find it now!!!!

http://www.getbroadband.ie/broadband_deals.php

^^^^Doesnt tell you about satellite broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Work from a home office - With Eirco* but reception is patchy at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭wataru

Just wondering does anyone know if getting a higher speed package from UPC guarantee better pings? I know they say with there packages that the ultra speed is bettter for gaming blah blah blah. But is this documented?

I get 20ms ish with my 12meg basic.

45349854.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 briancol

I'm using an o2 usb dongle with 1MB broadband, they had an offer going recently with a free dongle and 1 month contract with €10 per month, not sure if they're still doing it. I watched the amazing mr ripley on movieberry on Saturday night, good quality picture and no stops in it, didn't like the film though:-(

Cheers
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amiie

Anybody there? Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

Eircom, Vodafone and any of the other bitstream sellers are the only options right now. Wireless maybe an option but I'm not sure if there is anybody providing it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Hi guys,
    I've been looking at UPC's website but I can't seem to find how long their contracts are, does anyone know?
    A few of my friends and I are moving into a house for 9 months (the college year) and we want to get broadband... Though we are aware most contracts are probably 12 months someone said to me that you get your last three months free on UPC? Which sounds extremely unlikely to me...
    Anyway I'm looking for the cheapest broadband possible for 9 months if anyone can help me out! Thanks very much!

It's a 12 month contract with UPC. It says in their terms and conditions.

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/GENERALTERMSANDCONDITIONS140711.pdf

I am only living in sligo for 10 months, and I don't care. I'll pay the 12 months. I'd pay 10x their fee before I go with the likes of eircom again.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

Lads on the UPC contracts, if you tell them you're moving to somewhere that they can't provide it, they have to let you out of contract.

Can anyone tell me which ISP would be best to go with in Wexford town? Currently with Eircom, but looking to see if WiMax or Vodafone would be better.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement

purpleblaa wrote: »
    Lads on the UPC contracts, if you tell them you're moving to somewhere that they can't provide it, they have to let you out of contract.

Can anyone tell me which ISP would be best to go with in Wexford town? Currently with Eircom, but looking to see if WiMax or Vodafone would be better.
    Cheers!

Had a lousy experience with Skytel. Permanet is still the other option afaik. I would never get wireless again without a "try before you buy" option, and since that's not generally available I'm sticking with Digiweb satellite.

ps200306 wrote: »
    Had a lousy experience with Skytel. Permanet is still the other option afaik. I would never get wireless again without a "try before you buy" option, and since that's not generally available I'm sticking with Digiweb satellite.

Should've mentioned -- I also get great performance from Vodafone 3G, but I am well out in the sticks so probably more to do with an uncongested cell. Some of the 3Gs do have a try-before-you-buy.

I've found that Vodafone broadband (DSL) performs better than Eircom even though Eircom owns the lines. That's when i'm going to callouts.

Do you know a way to check UPC availability before we tell them? Seeing as there'll be four of us I'm sure one of our home gaffs will be suitable but do you know if there is a way to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

Hi Louise,

Try going here on UPCs website http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/
    It gives you a map to show where their service is available but also on the right hand side you can check an address. So for example, you could try entering in a made up house number / street name and it gives you a list of places that match. Pick an obscure one and see if the service you have here is available there. If it isn't you should be able to get out of your contract.
    Alternatively you could try and get someone else to take over your account.
    Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Theresa Dublin

Jofspring wrote: »
    Reading through the forum has me totally confused.

I currently have eircom 1mb package, have had it for about 4 or 5 years now (first broadband package i ever got) and decided its time for an upgrade. Trying to download 4.4GB files and them taking up to 3 days is my main reason.

I want to use broadband mainly for Internet browsing, music and movie downloads and for xbox live. I also might have up to 4 people using the broadband at any one time in the house. What has me confused is you have one person saying UPC is the best around and nothing compares to it and then you have another saying they are having problems and Magnet is the best. So if anyone could enlighten me it would be a great help. I am in Limerick City on the Ennis Rd side by the way.

Which would be the best for me Magnet 5mb or UPC 15mb? Pretty sure i can get either of these.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The more people using the broadband at any one time, the slower it becomes! Speak from experience...we're with UPC!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Was living city end of S.C.R. Dublin and had an excellent ADSL+ connection with Smart Telecom. Totally recommend it. As I was moving out, UPC were digging up the street to lay down cable, so I'm guessing there's now 100Mb in the area too.

Any recommendations for Christchurch, Dublin 8 - city end?

I'm 5 minutes from Dame street, have no phone line (not yet anyway - it seems you need to stick with Eircom for 6 months to a year if you get a new landline in, which can't be fair :confused:) and UPC can't provide midband for my gaffe **yet**, though they've upgraded nearby (not due to anytime soon on my street, either, according to their own site).

I want broadband/midband, would consider a phone but am not interested in telly, sky+ or gaming :-) Minimum 5Mb

Hi Louise,

Try going here on UPCs website http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/network_improvements/
    It gives you a map to show where their service is available but also on the right hand side you can check an address. So for example, you could try entering in a made up house number / street name and it gives you a list of places that match. Pick an obscure one and see if the service you have here is available there. If it isn't you should be able to get out of your contract.
    Alternatively you could try and get someone else to take over your account.
    Best of luck with it.

Thanks very much for all your help! They don't service my home gaff so should be grand, happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 powellx234

I was hoping to shine some luck on my area, but all thats here is mobile broadband, and its not even any good. Its not even 0.6mb during the day. :(

I also put up a thread. Look down a bit for a bit more info.

Broadband in Co. Longford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭spitonmedickie

I am moving into a place that may or may not have an eircom phone line but UPC cannot provide broadband in the building because the buillding contract is with another provider (presumably eircom) - Is that normal?

If there is a phone line, do I have to pay that line cost to Eircom? I see there's broadband for 25 (excl. line rental)

If there is no phone line, is there any way around renting an eircom phone line - Vodafone only provides broadband through eircom lines and again, UPC can't in the building.

I looked at 02 but apparently the 3g reception isn't great! I only need it for 4 months!

Any ideas?!

Advertisement