Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Separated Dad - Rents & Sharing

• 28-08-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

As a separated dad Ive being renting myself first time in over a decade, now the lease is coming up and I fear landlord hiking the rent up by another €100 in line with all other 1 beds rental price at this moment in time €950.

Its too much to bear - Was looking to share, not everyones cup of tea sharing with a single father who has his 6yr old some days of the week.

Anyone know of links to places that can help in my plight. Or share their experiences of same?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I feel for you, it's a terrible position to be in. Honestly, sharing is usually done by younger people who as you rightly say wouldn't be too enamoured by sharing with a father and his 6 year old. Can you have a word with the landlord ahead of any new lease to arrange a mutual agreement? How much extra could you afford? You say the other 1 beds are €100 more but are these in more desirable locations or better spec'ed? Also what area are you living in/want to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

I have seen this come up a few times, might be worth posting in the separation and divorce forum and see if you can find anyone in a similar position that is willing to share. Alternatively you could maybe rent a bigger place and then search for someone to share with. I do remember seeing a room rented on daft that was very specifically looking for another seperated dad to share with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unless you can find another parent in a similar situation, then I would be very wary of the sort of person who wanted to share with someone else who has kids to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

As a separated dad Ive being renting myself first time in over a decade, now the lease is coming up and I fear landlord hiking the rent up by another €100 in line with all other 1 beds rental price at this moment in time €950.

Its too much to bear - Was looking to share, not everyones cup of tea sharing with a single father who has his 6yr old some days of the week.

Anyone know of links to places that can help in my plight. Or share their experiences of same?

Really sorry to hear that. That must be so hard on you. If you could, I would try to rent a small house and advertise for a Single Mum or Dad in the same circumstances to share with you. That way, you have some control over who you would be sharing with.
    I hope it all works out for you. These trials in our lives are temporary - things change all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Unless you can find another parent in a similar situation, then I would be very wary of the sort of person who wanted to share with someone else who has kids to stay.

Just because someone is a parent, doesn't mean the child is safe. Plenty of kids have sadly been abused by their parents:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just because someone is a parent, doesn't mean the child is safe. Plenty of kids have sadly been abused by their parents:mad:

True. But the risk is less. A childless person who is deliberately facilitating a situation where they have access to a vulnerable child is a far higher risk. It's all about probabilities.

Advertisement