Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Confused over increase

• 08-11-2018 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I'm seven and a half years renting the same property. Each year I renewed the lease with the landlord with very little increases. I'm living in an RPZ also.

Last year the rent was increased 4% and the lease is set to expire towards the end of this year.

The landlord is now looking for another increase of 4%.

Am I right in thinking that he can't increase it two years in a row with a fixed term lease ? Also if I don't sign a new lease am I entitled to stay for a period afterwards under the part 4 tenancy ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

This will answer your question on rent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

garhjw wrote: »
    https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz

This will answer your question on rent

I was just looking at that and it's conflicting . It says that the rent can be increased by 4% for the second year where other pages mention it's after 24 months.

D3V!L wrote: »
    I was just looking at that and it's conflicting . It says that the rent can be increased by 4% for the second year where other pages mention it's after 24 months.

The first increase has to be after 24 months but subsequent increases can then be done after 12 months so the LL is allowed to increase again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

Yes he is allowed to increase it again however he must wait until the lease expires and then he can give the 3 months notice and the new rent increase can only come into effect after that. In other words if your lease expires on 31st Dec then the new increase will come into effect on 1st April. That's my understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

ross2010 wrote: »
    Yes he is allowed to increase it again however he must wait until the lease expires and then he can give the 3 months notice and the new rent increase can only come into effect after that. In other words if your lease expires on 31st Dec then the new increase will come into effect on 1st April. That's my understanding.

Your post probably has good intentions, but unless you can show where this is stated, the OP should ignore it.

It mis-information / someone's opinion that people then take as fact that causes a huge amount of argument in all spheres of life.

• Advertisement

Your post probably has good intentions, but unless you can show where this is stated, the OP should ignore it.

It mis-information / someone's opinion that people then take as fact that causes a huge amount of argument in all spheres of life.

It isn't just my opinion or mis-information. I have had to abide by this rule for my own property which is in a RPZ. My letting agent confirmed my understanding. The OP should check it out for themselves.

See below from Citizen Information

Notice of rent review
    Once the required period (12 or 24 months) has elapsed, your landlord can issue a notice of rent review.

The landlord must give you proper notice of the amount of the proposed new rent and the date from which it is to take effect. The notice must be in writing and contain the information prescribed by the legislation – see ‘Notice of rent review’ below. Emails, text messages and spoken messages are not valid forms of notice.

You must get at least 90 days’ notice of a rent review. This means that the new rent cannot then apply until 90 days after the notice has been issued.

See below from Citizen Information

Notice of rent review
    Once the required period (12 or 24 months) has elapsed, your landlord can issue a notice of rent review.

The landlord must give you proper notice of the amount of the proposed new rent and the date from which it is to take effect. The notice must be in writing and contain the information prescribed by the legislation – see ‘Notice of rent review’ below. Emails, text messages and spoken messages are not valid forms of notice.

You must get at least 90 days’ notice of a rent review. This means that the new rent cannot then apply until 90 days after the notice has been issued.

Nothing there to say that the notice period must be at the end of a lease.

OP has already got notification of the increase. I would guess its 3 months notice and take effect at the end of 12 months after the previous increase.

How you suggested it meant would mean an increase could only take place every 15 months.

If OP is to sign a new lease from 1st Jan and last increase was 1st Jan 2018 and LL sent notification of new rent before 1st Oct, then I can't see what is wrong with that

OP here again,

"Tenancies commencing before 24th December 2016
    For tenancies that began before the 24th of December 2016, after a 6 month probationary period, the tenant secures the right to remain in the property for a further 3 1/2 years. This is known as a ‘Part 4 tenancy’."

Say for example I signed a fixed term 1 year lease early December 2016, would the 4 years start from then for the part 4 tenancy or begin again the next year when I renew the fixed term lease ?

Nothing there to say that the notice period must be at the end of a lease.

OP has already got notification of the increase. I would guess its 3 months notice and take effect at the end of 12 months after the previous increase.

How you suggested it meant would mean an increase could only take place every 15 months.

If OP is to sign a new lease from 1st Jan and last increase was 1st Jan 2018 and LL sent notification of new rent before 1st Oct, then I can't see what is wrong with that

What is wrong with that is that it is incorrect. The notice period can only start after the end of the fixed term lease. I could hardly believe it when I heard it myself but it has been repeatedly confirmed to me by various professionals who work in the lettings area. So for example you could have a lease renewal with an increase on 1st Jan 2018. On 1st Jan 2019 you issue the 3 month notice period, on 1st April 2019 the increased rent comes into effect. The lease is due for renewal on 1st Jan 2020 so on that date another increase notice can be issued which comes into effect on 1st April 2020...and it carries on like that. That's how it works.

You can continue arguing if you wish however you are incorrect. Again, as already mentioned the OP should check it out themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

OP here again,

"Tenancies commencing before 24th December 2016
    For tenancies that began before the 24th of December 2016, after a 6 month probationary period, the tenant secures the right to remain in the property for a further 3 1/2 years. This is known as a ‘Part 4 tenancy’."

Say for example I signed a fixed term 1 year lease early December 2016, would the 4 years start from then for the part 4 tenancy or begin again the next year when I renew the fixed term lease ?

Its the start date of your original tenancy.

Your 7.5 years with your landlord, so in 6 months time (i.e. 8 years) has he can ask you to leave, no reason required.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Its the start date of your original tenancy.

Your 7.5 years with your landlord, so in 6 months time (i.e. 8 years) has he can ask you to leave, no reason required.

Does he have to give notice at the 8 year mark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Does he have to give notice at the 8 year mark ?

Yes, I don't know the details,

Worth reading this :

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html#lef263

What is wrong with that is that it is incorrect. The notice period can only start after the end of the fixed term lease. I could hardly believe it when I heard it myself but it has been repeatedly confirmed to me by various professionals who work in the lettings area. So for example you could have a lease renewal with an increase on 1st Jan 2018. On 1st Jan 2019 you issue the 3 month notice period, on 1st April 2019 the increased rent comes into effect. The lease is due for renewal on 1st Jan 2020 so on that date another increase notice can be issued which comes into effect on 1st April 2020...and it carries on like that. That's how it works.

You can continue arguing if you wish however you are incorrect. Again, as already mentioned the OP should check it out themselves.

That's crazy! I wasn't arguing, just thought it was best for the OP to have the full info and where it is stated.

As I said, there's a lot of mis information online, so once the OP can show what the information is based on and point to the relevant information, that's good.

I was a LL back in the 90's - fairly happy I'm not one now.

Advertisement