Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

mrcheez wrote: »
    Interesting, and roughly how long does it take to switch over?

Should I initiate the process about 1.5 months before the end of the fixed rate period, or just in latter 2 weeks?

It took me 6 weeks but I was on holidays for 2 weeks during this and did not follow up on queries. Should take 4 weeks I'd day. Its a bit of work but obviously worth it in the long run if making a good saving. I would initiate 2 months before to make sure everything is in order for draw down when your fixed rate ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Go to https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/financial-comparisons/mortgage-comparisons/
    It will lay out all the different rates for whatever LTV you are.
    It won't show cashback offers however so you will have to take those into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aomh

Millem wrote:
    Ulster bank 2.2% fixed for 5 years but you need to have a mortgage of €300,000 or more.

Hi, I'm in the middle of a 5yr fixed at 3.4% with Ulster bank, can I negotiate a better deal with the same bank if they have better rates on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

aomh wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in the middle of a 5yr fixed at 3.4% with Ulster bank, can I negotiate a better deal with the same bank if they have better rates on offer

you can but you may have a breakage fee to pay to ulserbank so that needs to be weighed against savings you could make

contact them for a breakage fee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

pwurple wrote: »
    AIB have a 5 year fixed @ 2.5%.

What variable are you rolling on to?

All the fixed rates seem very low to me, makes me think a variable drop is on the horizon this year or next.

You must have a bet of b3 minimum for that rate.

• Advertisement

aomh wrote: »

Yes try it, that’s what I did with AIB and they have offered to waive the breakage fee if I stay with them.
    We met Ulster bank and they offered us the 2.2% and €1500 to cover legal fees so it seems like a no brainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Millem wrote: »
    Yes try it, that’s what I did with AIB and they have offered to waive the breakage fee if I stay with them.
    We met Ulster bank and they offered us the 2.2% and €1500 to cover legal fees so it seems like a no brainer!

Would you not think about going with KBC instead on the 2.25% mortgage and €3000 cashback. It's also only a 2yr fixed rather than a 5yr. So could easily do the same again in 2yrs time if it was worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

What are people paying in legal fees for switching? I was quoted €1,250 excluding VAT and outlay. About €1,900 all in.

I intend to shop around more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

christy c wrote: »
    What are people paying in legal fees for switching? I was quoted €1,250 excluding VAT and outlay. About €1,900 all in.

What's outlay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Got a quote today for 1500 all in

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    What's outlay ?

Search fee, postage and other mumbo jumbo.

brightkane wrote: »
    Got a quote today for 1500 all in

Cheers, so there should be better around.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

It all depends on the solicitor, I've been quoted 1200 and that's the best in my area, a friend of mine near Naas was quoted 900 but that can rise. I'm starting the switch to KBC, will knock 1% and 3 years off my mortgage.

deco72 wrote: »
    Would you not think about going with KBC instead on the 2.25% mortgage and €3000 cashback. It's also only a 2yr fixed rather than a 5yr. So could easily do the same again in 2yrs time if it was worthwhile.

My ltv is higher than 60% and third baby due so thinking of fixing for 5 years.

steves2 wrote: »
    It all depends on the solicitor, I've been quoted 1200 and that's the best in my area, a friend of mine near Naas was quoted 900 but that can rise. I'm starting the switch to KBC, will knock 1% and 3 years off my mortgage.

Just got quoted 1200 all in after a few phone calls. Happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

House is worth approx €220,000 with 90k left on mortgage. Probably no value switching banks but to look for better rate maybe. Currently with BOI 3.2% fixed for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Can the breakage fee vary significantly? I remember looking into this a few months back, breakage fee was about 10k.

Just under 2 years into 30 year mortgage, 5 year BOI fixed at 3%

BullBauld wrote: »
    House is worth approx €220,000 with 90k left on mortgage. Probably no value switching banks but to look for better rate maybe. Currently with BOI 3.2% fixed for 3 years.

With KBC you get €3000 cashback minus costs of approx €1500 - €2000 so you'll have at least €1000 in your back pocket. Also their rate would be 2.25% if you open a current account. Don't know what it would cost to get out of your Bank of Ireland fixed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

With KBC you get €3000 cashback minus costs of approx €1500 - €2000 so you'll have at least €1000 in your back pocket. Also their rate would be 2.25% if you open a current account. Don't know what it would cost to get out of your Bank of Ireland fixed rate.

If you open the current acc do you have to use it, or can I just lodge a couple hundred and be done with it?

mrcheez wrote: »
    If you open the current acc do you have to use it, or can I just lodge a couple hundred and be done with it?

You have to pay your mortgage from it to get the lower rate. Think it's 2.45% for 2 years otherwise. You also have to lodge €2k each month to get free banking on the current account.

I just switched all my banking to KBC. You could get your salary into KBC and pay your mortgage from there and transfer the balance to whatever bank you're using each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Maybe someone can make sense of this.

I'm on AIB variable 2.95% which is APRC 3.01%
    so if i switch to Ulster bank it's 2.2% which is 3% APRC

how am i saving if i switch to Ulster bank

You have to pay your mortgage from it to get the lower rate. Think it's 2.45% for 2 years otherwise. You also have to lodge €2k each month to get free banking on the current account.

I just switched all my banking to KBC. You could get your salary into KBC and pay your mortgage from there and transfer the balance to whatever bank you're using each month.

I also think you need to get your salary paid in to get the lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

KilOit wrote: »
    Maybe someone can make sense of this.

I'm on AIB variable 2.95% which is APRC 3.01%
    so if i switch to Ulster bank it's 2.2% which is 3% APRC

how am i saving if i switch to Ulster bank

The APRC is advertised over the lifetime of the loan, not the fixed rate period. Ulster bank have much higher standard variables post fixed period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Folks, I think it’s super important to highlight because 9 out of 10 ppl don’t know this

ALOT of the times it will make sense for you to break out of a bad fixed rate deal. Some people thing you are stuck in a fixed rate deal no matter what.

We got AIB down from a near 5k breakage fee down to near 900! Now Ulster bank aren’t charging us anything to switch from their 2.6% fixed to 2.2% fixed. EU rules mean that a bank can only charge you a break fee based on what it would cost them to finance the remaining principle plus admin costs. AIB in particular weren’t following this until approx July 2019.

It’s staggering to think of the amount of money out there being overpaid to banks on mortgages....

Also 1500 all-in is the target price for a solicitor to switch. You don’t even need to meet them so I wouldn’t pay more for one just because their office is in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

BBMcQ wrote: »
    The APRC is advertised over the lifetime of the loan, not the fixed rate period. Ulster bank have much higher standard variables post fixed period.
    Ah that makes sense, cheers, bit of a no brainer, savings could be put into the principle after the 5 years if i was to switch again

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

For €300,000+ mortgages, any obvious reasons not to avail of EBS 2% cashback with 1 year fixed rate 2.9,...and then switch to KBC/Ulster for lower rate this time next year (other than the risk of rates increasing over the next year)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

For €300,000+ mortgages, any obvious reasons not to avail of EBS 2% cashback with 1 year fixed rate 2.9,...and then switch to KBC/Ulster for lower rate this time next year (other than the risk of rates increasing over the next year)?

I am thinking this also. Currently about 18 months into a 5yr fixed with PTSB on 3.1%.
    Thinking of moving to BOI for 1 year to get 2% cashback and then if ulsterbank are doing 2.2% next year flip to that. After legals for switch to BOI and breakage fee I would have €3,700 approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

One issue I have with this.... Why wait! Get loan approved with both and switch as soon as soon as cashback is paid. Assuming cashback takes a month to process the break fee will more than likely be small or zero.

Worst case scenario you end up waiting the year like planned. Best case 2 cashbacks in the bag and cheap rate as you head into late spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How does the TRS monthly payment get affected by the changeover? Do I need to notify Revenue or the banks do it themselves?

I'm going to be going over all my TRS payments made since I started the mortgage as I recall BOI were short a couple of hundred when I checked 5 years ago, I'd probably have a hard time claiming it back after I've moved.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good plan and cant see a reason not to.

Advertisement