Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

19-03-2015, 21:21   #16
shedweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktec: Stephen View Post
Ill measure the exact diameter and get back to you

Edit - its exactly 127mm, inside to inside.
Both the SF500 and SF500P1.

Stephen.
Got the filter today and its a perfect fit! You'd swear it was made for it! Got a few mins looking at the setting sun and there's a nice orange colour to the sun through it. One thing i did notice was it heavily filters the light which is a good thing. Cant wait to look at a high noon sun.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2015, 21:53   #17
Ktec: Stephen
Verified representative

Well, how did people get on today?
21-03-2015, 00:42   #18
shedweller

Quote:
Well, how did people get on today?
Well i had my scope all set up but needed stellarium to tell me where the sun was! Then at 09:30 while the eclipse was at max i got a few lighter patches of cloud that allowed me to see the sun with the naked eye and get the photo i posted here. It was only after another 15 mins or so that the clouds cleared enough to use my telescope and filter. I could see the lunar mountains in shilouette against the sun which was really cool. I'm seriously looking forward getting out with the filter more. Its a brilliant piece of kit and will broaden my kids horizons as well!
Thanks from:
25-03-2015, 10:38   #19
shedweller

I took this half an hour ago. Working on getting focusing right which is surprisingly difficult through the camera. It's a canon 20D connected to a bresser r-102 with a seymour sf500 solar filter
(3) thanks from:
30-03-2015, 16:40   #20
Verified representative

Lovely! Nice detail on the spots
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-03-2015, 19:05   #21
shedweller

Thanks! I noticed the quality was only ok with the 10mm eyepiece in so read up on eyepieces.
Apparently orthoscopic eyepieces give good results at higher magnification but at the expense of edge detail. Is this true or is it not likely to bother me since i dont have a 100k telescope!?
I was also learning about exit pupil and how if the eyepieces exit pupil is larger than your own pupil then it is effectively wasting light and there is no benefit. Now, i did some calculations based on what i read (from seemingly very intelligent people!!) And with a 100mm f/10 telescope i could in theory go up (or down??) to an 80mm eyepiece based on a pupil size of 7mm in the dark. Which is ridiculous! So i'm suspicious of my calculations to say the least.

So, whats my question?
I want a high power eyepiece, about 5 or 6mm for good planetary viewing. Orthos seem to deliver the goods but are expensive although the baaders arent bad. Anything close?
I want a wide angle eyepiece that will give bright wide angle views with a 100mm f/10 refractor. A bit of the wow factor really.
Oh, and flocking. I want to flock the hell out of the inside of my scope!! No really, look it up!
Can you get any in? I saw some stick on stuff but doing that inside a metre long tube with 100mm dia?? I saw some in the states that was on a sheet of plastic that when inserted in the tube it popped out and held fast. Majorly delivers the goods apparently. Well, the small bit of mods i did last week helped. I painted the edges of my eyepieces black inside and the 90deg prism as well. That was chromed to hell! It made a savage difference actually. I could count the wires on a chimmney pot 2km away! Just need a clear night now...
31-03-2015, 18:31   #22
Verified representative

Usually with eyepieces, customers often choose what looks nice

Really though, its just a matter of choosing a focal length you want, setting your budget, and picking one.

Often, its makes sense to pick one that, further down the road, you might buy other sizes and complete a range, like the Baader Hyperions -

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Baader-...ece-Range.html

They are very popular, with customer buying one a month or so, as they cover a good range of focal lengths,there is a case available, and everything fits together.

Personally, at the moment, I use a Skywatcher Planetary 6mm, and absolutely love it.

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Skywatc...ece-Range.html

For the wider stuff, I use a 32mm SWA Skywatcher, - http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Skywatc...ece-Range.html - but I do get some coma with my 12" F5 Dob, which isn't unexpected.

As for flocking, I haven't come across any of my suppliers that supply the material, but i do know plenty of customers who have flocked their scopes, mostly reflectors though, probably because its easier.

Your scope may or may not benefit from it, depending whats there at the moment.

Stephen.
Thanks from:
31-03-2015, 18:52   #23
shedweller

Ta. It is matt black/satin on the inside but there is a small glare off it when you point it towards the light. I had the focus tube out and it was only half painted so i did the rest in matt black.
If tonight is clear and i dont need to anchor the telescope to the ground then i'll see what improvements my work will bring. Might not need flocking at all. But i do love tinkering....
I'll have a look at the hyperions too. Thanks for the info.
Thanks from:
10-11-2015, 23:42   #24
cowboyBuilder

Hi Stephen,
I´m in a bit of a muddle here as to what I want, first of all, I live in Barcelona - terrible light pollution, I occasionaly go to a place
outside the city thats better (inlaws), but not amazing, nothing like the skies we get back home outside Dublin on a clear night.
So I was thinking of getting a telescope for the inlaws place
they have a free room and a velux window - but since it's not my place I feel am getting ahead of myself - plus the skies aren´t that good and telescope is not so portable.

So I think it's best to start with a good pair of binocs,
I hear 7x50 is ideal for astronomy.

Can you recommend a good pair that can deal with crappy eyesight (short sighted) and slight astigmitism

Budget around €200.

Thanks a lot
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-11-2015, 18:42   #25
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyBuilder View Post
Hi Stephen,
I´m in a bit of a muddle here as to what I want, first of all, I live in Barcelona - terrible light pollution, I occasionaly go to a place
outside the city thats better (inlaws), but not amazing, nothing like the skies we get back home outside Dublin on a clear night.
So I was thinking of getting a telescope for the inlaws place
they have a free room and a velux window - but since it's not my place I feel am getting ahead of myself - plus the skies aren´t that good and telescope is not so portable.

So I think it's best to start with a good pair of binocs,
I hear 7x50 is ideal for astronomy.

Can you recommend a good pair that can deal with crappy eyesight (short sighted) and slight astigmitism

Budget around €200.

Thanks a lot

Hi,

Many thanks for contacting us

Binos certainly sound about the best compromise for your situation.

Most binos these days have at least one eyepiece that you can individually adjust focus for different eyes. So that wont be a problem.

With astigmatism, its usually better to observe with glasses where possible. In this case binos with good twist up eyecups are best, such as these - www.ktectelescopes.ie/Helios-Naturesport-Plus-Range.html

If this is not possible/preferable to wear glasses, then binos with good eye relief will be a must. Ill double check the specs on some pairs, to see where we are at, if this is a must,

Hope this helps, and if you have any further questions,just ask here, or via Pm, or email sales@ktectelescopes.ie

Clear Skies,

Stephen.
Thanks from:
11-11-2015, 23:26   #26
cowboyBuilder

OK, and also would you say 7*50 is better then 10*50 for astronomy ?
12-11-2015, 00:11   #27
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyBuilder View Post
OK, and also would you say 7*50 is better then 10*50 for astronomy ?
It will give a slightly wider field of view, but the biggest seller is 10x50. The extra magnification over the 7x50 is worth it, whilst making them easy enough to hold still.
Its when you get to 12 or higher, it gets a little tricky holding them steady enough,

Stephen.
Thanks from:
29-11-2015, 23:47   #28
cowboyBuilder

Hi Stephen,
You don't deliver to mainland Europe ?
29-11-2015, 23:53   #29
Verified representative

Hi,

We can, and have sent to Europe and even as far as Australia, it depends what you want shipped, and Ill get a price with our carrier
Thanks from:
30-11-2015, 07:21   #30
cowboyBuilder

Quote:
Hi,

We can, and have sent to Europe and even as far as Australia, it depends what you want shipped, and Ill get a price with our carrier
Actually it's ok , I just ordered those 10x50s and had them shipped to Ireland , I'll pick them up at Christmas - cheers again
But good to know for future orders
Forum Closed