Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Did you order the SIM online?

Can you please check if you can open mega.nz website?
    mega.nz works fine for me on this plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whats the thinking on Vodafone X as a sim in a router? Some seem to be saying they are limiting it to 10mb/s and others saying its not happening them, is it pot luck or something? I have a new router and 48 sim on the way in the post but was thinking of getting a Vodafone X sim too to see how it works.

Also are An Post mobile still piggybacking on Vodafone?

Just as an aside I was on Vodafones mobile broadband router till it broke down last weekend. It was costing 45 a month for not great internet. Anyway I brought the router back to the shop yesterday who said because its over two years of age it is out of warranty and that they wouldnt repair it. The only way I could get back online with them was to sign a new 2 year contract at 45 a month again, they werent even offering any free or half price period. So I left the router in the shop and cancelled the account yesterday though not before they got a final 45 euro out of me last Thursday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

...limiting it to 10mb/s and others saying its not happening them....

...sign a new 2 year contract at 45 a month again...

VF 4G broadband with 300GB is 40 per month on a 12 month contract and terms mention a 10Mbps max download speed.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband.html

Three does the exact same thing...charge higher for lower allowances on broadband plans compared to phone plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ten Pin wrote: »
    VF 4G broadband with 300GB is 40 per month on a 12 month contract and terms mention a 10Mbps max download speed.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband.html

Three does the exact same thing...charge higher for lower allowances on broadband plans compared to phone plans.

That’s wrong obviously, I’ve VF siro gigabyte for e35 @ month, unlimited

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That’s wrong obviously, I’ve VF siro gigabyte for e35 @ month, unlimited

Did you click the link? If you did you'd realise he's talking about 4G mobile broadband.
    You have 1000 gigabit BB not gigabyte delivered to your premises via a fibre line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Whats the thinking on Vodafone X as a sim in a router? Some seem to be saying they are limiting it to 10mb/s and others saying its not happening them, is it pot luck or something? I have a new router and 48 sim on the way in the post but was thinking of getting a Vodafone X sim too to see how it works. :(

I had Vodafone X sim in Huawei B315 router - up until 3-4 weeks ago Vodafone X worked fine during the day and poor in the evening, right now speed is limited to 10Mb/s full time, and drops below 5Mb/s in peak times, also ping is going up to 280ms - and with that make's this setup useless.
    Tried Vodafone bill pay mobile broadband sim with 300GB allowance
    - off peak time getting 35-40Mb/s download, and 27-30Mb/s upload ,ping 22ms
    -peak time it drops to 4-5 download and 1upload - not good at all

When I was checking signal quality via HManager app - it's more less the same peak and off peak times, In my opinion at certain time of the day/week, there's so many users connected to same GSM mast that network just cant handle.

for now I'm using Three sim-card, It's ok when I force modem to 2100Mhz, but speed is also moderate at peak times.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Did you click the link? If you did you'd realise he's talking about 4G mobile broadband.
    You have 1000 gigabit BB not gigabyte delivered to your premises via a fibre line.

Mea cuppa - mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

CoBo55 wrote: »

Up to 1 Gigabit ( Gb ) not 1000! 1000 Megabit ( Mb ) ....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Ever since the 10mbps speed cap was enforced my connection is very unstable ... Have switched back to EIR

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

pancyk wrote: »
    I had Vodafone X sim in Huawei B315 router - up until 3-4 weeks ago Vodafone X worked fine during the day and poor in the evening, right now speed is limited to 10Mb/s full time, and drops below 5Mb/s in peak times, also ping is going up to 280ms - and with that make's this setup useless.

When I was checking signal quality via HManager app - it's more less the same peak and off peak times, In my opinion at certain time of the day/week, there's so many users connected to same GSM mast that network just cant handle.

for now I'm using Three sim-card, It's ok when I force modem to 2100Mhz, but speed is also moderate at peak times.

Cheers thanks for the info. My experience with VF bill pay mobile broadband was pretty much the same, it was fine during the day but try streaming a game of football at 8pm and it was full of frustration and reloading the app. It was a bit of an eye opener moving out of the city where speeds are good and prices reasonable to moving rural and getting the complete opposite, Id grimace everytime I saw the 45 coming out of my account for crap internet so Im glad to be out of it now. Just gotta hope the router on the way and a 48 sim does the trick for me or I might be going back to VF with my tail between my legs. So far though the 48 sim in my phone is working well with tethering so hopefully the router does the business for the rest of the house.

• Advertisement

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Ever since the 10mbps speed cap was enforced my connection is very unstable ... Have switched back to EIR

It’s gone piss poor alright but honestly I’d rather have nada than go back to that shower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

robbiep958 wrote: »

If they upped the speed to 20-25mbps it would be just right.

I don't understand their reasoning for 10mbps. Do they expect somebody to be downloading something 24/7?

CyberGhost wrote: »
    If they upped the speed to 20-25mbps it would be just right.

I don't understand their reasoning for 10mbps. Do they expect somebody to be downloading something 24/7?

They wont up the speed, they know that many users want to get the Vodafone X just to use in their modems for gaming, iptv etc

It wont pay them to give steady broadband for 20quid, where they will find people to go on bill pay for 40eur with download limit of 300GB ??

Either way both options will work during the day, but evenings are bad or very bad on both bill or X plan.
    Playing with GoMo, 48, eir sim cards is an option, but my own experience is that they all drop speed up to 80%

Three, Vodafone and Eir - they didnt learn to walk properly(4G), but yet they want to run(5G)....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

They wont up the speed, they know that many users want to get the Vodafone X just to use in their modems for gaming, iptv etc

It wont pay them to give steady broadband for 20quid, where they will find people to go on bill pay for 40eur with download limit of 300GB ??

Either way both options will work during the day, but evenings are bad or very bad on both bill or X plan.
    Playing with GoMo, 48, eir sim cards is an option, but my own experience is that they all drop speed up to 80%

Three, Vodafone and Eir - they didnt learn to walk properly(4G), but yet they want to run(5G)....

You're right!

But if they're at a point where they have to break one product in order for it not to intrude on the other, maybe it's time for them to rethink their product strategy? Maybe that 40eur broadband with 300GB does not make sense anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Unlimited Max Sim Only
    €35 /month for the first 6 months,
    €45 thereafter

Unlimited data
    Fastest available speed
    Unlimited
    Calls to Europe and selected countries

This seems to be the right plan to go for with no speeds caps

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gooduse

Hello,

I gave my Belgium and Slowenia and Austria friends some Irishsimcards so they can save money with the cool unlimited offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

gooduse wrote: »
    Hello,

I gave my Belgium and Slowenia and Austria friends some Irishsimcards so they can save money with the cool unlimited offer!
    and what speeds they get? is there cap on 10 mbps?

bondja80 wrote: »
    and what speeds they get? is there cap on 10 mbps?

They get 10mbits but won't complain about the speed it is great for netflix and YouTube as well.

I also bought a sim via ebay for my father he use it in Germany.

In Germany it luckyly also worked on the good Telekom and Vodafonenetwork

Normally people are paying in Germany 100 Euro for unlimited data!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Same with me. We had it in a router for nearly a year and got up to 100Mb/s at times but now it doesn't go above 10Mb/s at all so I'd say they've started restricting

• Advertisement

For 50GBP/month unlimited with roaming cap to 25GB... did I missed on something ? or roaming will begin from 1st of January after brexit ?

No they won't do any charges the 25 GB Cap are not in use I used a pay as you go sim from the UK from Vodafone in Dublin for testing the roamingcap.

But they also offer a true unlimited deal with no 10 mbits speedrestriction

https://www.superdrugmobile.com/our-plan/Unlimited-Plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

they also offer a true unlimited deal with no 10 mbits speedrestriction

But not 5G ?

Hello,

This is just taking the piss and imho it will ruin it for the genuine people who require this service when abroad.

No they won't do any charges the 25 GB Cap are not in use I used a pay as you go sim from the UK from Vodafone in Dublin for testing the roamingcap.

But they also offer a true unlimited deal with no 10 mbits speedrestriction

Use this SIM so for your cool friends in Slowenia and leave us Irish alone. :pac:

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hello,

What about your German and Dutch friends..??

They are satisfied with it.

What are you doing with your unlimited plan? Streaming Netflix ?

I ditched my German expensive dataplan for the irish.

Some Canadians did it as well with a Frenchplan

https://www.narcity.com/en-ca/news/some-canadians-are-buying-dirt-cheap-phone-plans-from-france-to-save-money-heres-how-that-works

So we all want to save a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 5 westie97

I have Vodafone X in my modem capped at 10 up/down and 200ms ping and am considering chancing the phone bill pay plan. Just concerned if they caught on to what you were doing could they charge you extortionately high rates on your next bill? Also, how is the ping in comparison to Vodafone X?

westie97 wrote: »
    I have Vodafone X in my modem capped at 10 up/down and 200ms ping and am considering chancing the phone bill pay plan. Just concerned if they caught on to what you were doing could they charge you extortionately high rates on your next bill? Also, how is the ping in comparison to Vodafone X?

I was testing Vodafone X vs Bill Pay, and on BP everything is fine in terms of speed and ping, where X plan has speed limited and ping is quite high.

In terms of using this sim in broadband modem...? Not sure if anyone got any restrictions etc, but if they see that usage is extremely high they can limit as per T&C ?

3. Use of, and access to, the Vodafone Unlimited Package is subject to the below obligations when using our services:

You have an obligation to mainly use our Services for private, personal, and legitimate consumer purposes only. If Vodafone is of the opinion that your usage is contrary to these principles; for example if your usage is excessive to the extent that it is negatively impacting the Vodafone Network, or if your usage constitutes commercial or fraudulent use or is in breach of the law; Vodafone reserves the right to suspend, at its absolute discretion, modify or restrict use of the service or to disconnect you from the Vodafone network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

I was testing Vodafone X vs Bill Pay, and on BP everything is fine in terms of speed and ping, where X plan has speed limited and ping is quite high.

In terms of using this sim in broadband modem...? Not sure if anyone got any restrictions etc, but if they see that usage is extremely high they can limit as per T&C ?

3. Use of, and access to, the Vodafone Unlimited Package is subject to the below obligations when using our services:

You have an obligation to mainly use our Services for private, personal, and legitimate consumer purposes only. If Vodafone is of the opinion that your usage is contrary to these principles; for example if your usage is excessive to the extent that it is negatively impacting the Vodafone Network, or if your usage constitutes commercial or fraudulent use or is in breach of the law; Vodafone reserves the right to suspend, at its absolute discretion, modify or restrict use of the service or to disconnect you from the Vodafone network.

Been tethering through a spare phone for work and streaming the past month and not had any restrictions so far. Find the service much better than a previous 3 sim as the speeds are consistant and do not reduce to snails pace in the evenings.

Advertisement