Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I know you can't attach anything to PMs, but what forums don't? Serious question.

I've come across a few where I can not post the [IMG][/IMG] tags but never where I can not actually attach

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps I am mistaken, though I remember being unable to attach a photo once. It may have been a temporary thing. Apologies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

spurious wrote: »
    Perhaps I am mistaken, though I remember being unable to attach a photo once. It may have been a temporary thing. Apologies.
    You're correct some forums (like AH used to) do not allow images.

Steve wrote: »
    You're correct some forums (like AH used to) do not allow images.

Don't allow images but block attachments?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Don't allow images but block attachments?

Sorry, I don't know what might be causing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got another one.

In the past I set up the OHs work laptop to backup files to a memory stick.
    First back up done fine, but the stick it backed up to is only a 32gb one, and its showing 0 free space.

When I plug it in now, I would guess it will eventually say there isn't enough room to backup new files?

But I tried to change it and back up all the file history to another drive, but any other drive I attached isn't allowed, it keeps saying it wants the original drive used to proceed.

Any ideas?
    Any result on this?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Esel wrote: »
    Any result on this?

Naw? Haven't been at it since.

You got something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

You're backing up the whole operating system?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was just wondering if you had tried my suggestion of inserting the 'full' memory stick first.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

FFVII wrote: »
    You're backing up the whole operating system?

No, don't think so.

Esel wrote: »
    I was just wondering if you had tried my suggestion of inserting the 'full' memory stick first.

I did yeah, it didn't give any error to say it was full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I did yeah, it didn't give any error to say it was full.

I've no idea what program you're using but try this..

Open the application and create a new backup, rather than editing the existing backup. Select files to be included in the backup, and put in the new memory key/drive.

antix80 wrote: »
    I've no idea what program you're using but try this..

Open the application and create a new backup, rather than editing the existing backup. Select files to be included in the backup, and put in the new memory key/drive.
    I'm not using a program, its the setting on Win8 that backs up your data in case its lost.

From what I can see, it backs up your user data initially, then if you use the laptop for say 3 months, then put the memory stick back in, it checks to see what 'new' data has been created on the laptop since the last backup, and backs that up on to the memory stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Is it file history you're using? Have a look at this anyway might help you out
    https://www.digitalcitizen.life/file-history

Yip, thats what I'm using...must try the bit about changing drive. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Hello computer experts. I really need our help. I am using Excel to sort names and data and keep adding new stuff, genealogy. I would have over 30,000 lines and Excel it great for sorting them using different searches. I am still adding info to them and adding new lines. The project I am working on is going through the online death certificates in the N.A.
    Now then here is the problem, while looking for I had saved in a line it was gone, poof, just like that. Like it never existed. My theory is that Excel has a limit and when you go over that limit it deletes lines as you add more. Could that be right?
    I hope I explained the problem well enough for you to understand. I am nearly 70 and this has kept me busy during Covid and I would hate to think the whole project is corrupted.
    Can you help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

If you are saving the file as an xls (older) file format, then the limit for the number of rows is 65536.

The newer xlsx file format has a row limit of over 1 million rows.

You can tell which file format you are using by looking at the last or if the file name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

enfield wrote: »
    Hello computer experts. I really need our help. I am using Excel to sort names and data and keep adding new stuff, genealogy. I would have over 30,000 lines and Excel it great for sorting them using different searches. I am still adding info to them and adding new lines. The project I am working on is going through the online death certificates in the N.A.
    Now then here is the problem, while looking for I had saved in a line it was gone, poof, just like that. Like it never existed. My theory is that Excel has a limit and when you go over that limit it deletes lines as you add more. Could that be right?
    I hope I explained the problem well enough for you to understand. I am nearly 70 and this has kept me busy during Covid and I would hate to think the whole project is corrupted.
    Can you help please?

Hi enfield

No worries about the row (line) limit in Excel just yet. Off the top of my head, it’s approx 65,000 on Excel 2003, and over 1,040,000 from later versions.

Could you have possibly hit Ctrl + z (which will undue an action) along the way? Although, Ctrl + z is useful if you make a mistake and need to fix it. Ctrl + y then is redo, so you can hop back and forth.

Anyhow - I wouldn’t worry that your sheet is corrupt. But what you might do is start saving versions - so save your current one as 20201208_Geneology_v1 or the like, and then it is safe, and then open it up and save it again as v2, and do that every few weeks or month or so, so ensure you have a backup.

Sounds like a cool project!

Thank you Brian and Snowy. It is a lot to take in but I will get through it over the day. I had saved all in a master file and that was the one that was corrupted but I also saved it by counties in 26 separate files. Using these individual counties I can re-populate the master that was corrupted. You guys really know your stuff, thank you very much for the help, I don't understand it all but will get there. At least now I have a plan.
    The file says it is XLSX and another just says XLS are these compatable?
    The project is great, thank you Snowy. I am looking for soldiers who died after discharge between 1914 and 1921 and are missing from the C.W.G.C. So far I have had 290 accepted by 'In from The Cold Project' to be added to C.W.G.C. and if I can show where they are buried each one will get a war grave headstone.

• Advertisement

Y'know the more I think of it the more I am of the opinion that CTRL Z is the culprit. I will have to keep an eye on that little divil in future. He is too close to Crtl V and CTRL V.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Excellent project, well done.
    On a a project involving that much work I would definitely be making a second copy of everything on an external HD as a backup.

Thank you Brian and Snowy. It is a lot to take in but I will get through it over the day. I had saved all in a master file and that was the one that was corrupted but I also saved it by counties in 26 separate files. Using these individual counties I can re-populate the master that was corrupted. You guys really know your stuff, thank you very much for the help, I don't understand it all but will get there. At least now I have a plan.
    The file says it is XLSX and another just says XLS are these compatable?
    The project is great, thank you Snowy. I am looking for soldiers who died after discharge between 1914 and 1921 and are missing from the C.W.G.C. So far I have had 290 accepted by 'In from The Cold Project' to be added to C.W.G.C. and if I can show where they are buried each one will get a war grave headstone.

Wow. Well that is some project!!

So, just on xlsx and xls, they are pretty compatible in general. The xlsx is the later version which will allow you those million + rows, and other functionality. If you’re copying over data from one to another, stick with the xlsx version, as the older xls version could lose some formatting or the like along the way.

Definitely also a good idea to back up somewhere other than your laptop as well, as Kat says. Even if you don’t have an external drive, you can just email it to yourself, and voila! Sounds too important to risk losing.

Best of luck with it all!!

Thank you Snowy and Kat. xlsx it is for me then, thank you very much for the suggestions. Sure who else could I have asked than the most helpful pals on this forum. I will save it on a memory stick in future. I did email it a few times but it is 63 megabytes and the email struggles to upload it.
    Thank you again for your advice and suggestions which I will take on board and follow.
    Kindest regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I'd say the Genealogy forum would be interested in this if you haven't already posted there.

Hello Kat.
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    I did put a post in genealogy offering lookups during covid, the thing is that the new ones that were accepted by 'In From The Cold' were not available then but are now. Also newly added (not finished yet, but will be in about 6 weeks) is every soldier ( about 2,000) from the 26 counties who died after they were discharged whether they qualify for inclusion or not, including the Barrack wardens, Barrack workers, Canteen staff, Voluntary Aid detachments (usually women), YMCA attached to the army, over 40 Merchant Navy lads recently found in Cobh Old Church Cemetery (the same one that has the Lusitania victims), other Merchant Navy lads sunk by submarines but not included in the CWGC as they were not on war work, Barrack Sergeants (usually ex-soldiers) and of course over 100 munition workers who died during that period, it is really interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I'd say the Genealogy forum would be interested in this if you haven't already posted there.

Darn right! My genealogy is on Excel, so I'm off to check the version now! :)

OK so, I am correcting the problem by putting all the 26 separate counties into 4 large excel files. I also added a master backup file with all the counties from a backup I have from last year, and then sorted them. Now to delete the duplicates which showed me the problem. When I added one county say Kilkenny, to one of the large files and come to delete the dublicates I can see that some of the Kilkenny lines I added did not transfer over to. About one line every 500 we have a missing name. Now I cut and pasted them so they were all together but some were missing afterwards. As I have duplicates lines in there as well I can see which ones are missing. Its strange that it does this and rarely happens to other transferred files mainly with Kilkenny.
    I hope I explained that and you are not confused. So, in hindsight it does not look like CTRLZ is the problem.
    Thank you again guys and gals for your patience with me. I can fix this but it will take a bit of time, but it can be fixed.
    Kindest regards.
    Tom.

OK so, I am correcting the problem by putting all the 26 separate counties into 4 large excel files. I also added a master backup file with all the counties from a backup I have from last year, and then sorted them. Now to delete the duplicates which showed me the problem. When I added one county say Kilkenny, to one of the large files and come to delete the dublicates I can see that some of the Kilkenny lines I added did not transfer over to. About one line every 500 we have a missing name. Now I cut and pasted them so they were all together but some were missing afterwards. As I have duplicates lines in there as well I can see which ones are missing. Its strange that it does this and rarely happens to other transferred files mainly with Kilkenny.
    I hope I explained that and you are not confused. So, in hindsight it does not look like CTRLZ is the problem.
    Thank you again guys and gals for your patience with me. I can fix this but it will take a bit of time, but it can be fixed.
    Kindest regards.
    Tom.

Hi Tom

Ok, that doesn’t make sense, and is not normal Excel behaviour. I’m struggling to think of a reason - maybe some weird merged cells in the source or something.

I hope this doesn’t cross a line, but you could PM if you wanted me to take a look for you, but only if you would be comfortable with that (I work with a lot of sensitive data, and really don’t take notice of the content anymore).

Totally up to you, but will help if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

What's Exel?

Advertisement