Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

• 28-01-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Did any of you realize that Lidl is changing the line of Kanpur Garden sauces? In the end of 2011 I found in Rathmines branch that all of them changed into new look/ingredients. Pity because taste changed as well - to WORSE... I spotted my favorite one - Rogan Josh as shown on the pictures (yellow one is old one):

rjjars.jpg

Same barecode, same price:

rjcodes.jpg

But unfortunately different ingredient composition:

rjcookingsauceingredien.jpg

rjsauceingredients.jpg

I wonder why they did it? If it was question of price I was ready to pay more - there were quite good sauces, now they all taste the same - same as any cheapest sauces from anywhere. No longer going to buy them, or perhaps it's only at Rathmines? Can anyone confirm how are the other Lidls?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

If I'm right in saying that the label lists ingredients in order of quantity, then it seems that the newer sauce has a higher proportion of water.
    1st place in the new sauce and 3rd in the old.
    More water = less flavour
    More water = lower cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I am little confused as I can't find any of that souses anymore! I checked few Lidls in my area and they all have none of Kanpur Garden products. In fact usual place where these sauces were displayed are completely rearranged...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Was in Lidl here in Cavan this evening. No Korma's, or any other Indian sauce. There are, however, signs on the shelf advising that a problem with the supplier has briefly interrupted supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭cobham

There seems an active Aldi thread so I thought to start one for Lidl.

I like their big tubs of Greek style yogurt, potato in a vacuum pack with cream sauce (dauphinoise?) that has a long shelflife in fridge. I also get their washing powder "Formil" and look out for the special offers on gluten free products several times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Funnily enough I just came on here to start this exact thread :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Their grated Mozzerella for I think 0.89 cent 200g Lovilio brand, is great for pizza and speaking of which....

They have a 3 pizza box for 3.19 (frozen brnaded Alfredo), ok I wouldnt eat them straight out of the box as they are like cardboard but......throw a bit of extra sauce, extra mozzerella, ham or whatever other toppings you like and they are smashing !! Nice crispy base.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bakery products are generally all pretty good, something Aldi doesn't have. Their cheese range is all pretty decent.

Spirits are all good for the price - bourbon and the slightly higher abv% vodka particularly but they also have liquers and similar on special from time to time.

Their themed food weeks can turn up some very good stuff cheap - the Spanish week a while ago had frozen tapas products, most of them in reusable ceramic ramekins which have come in handy a few times since.

Own brand ice creams are all good, the white magnum clone can lose chocolate a bit too easily though.

Some basics are dirt cheap, cheaper than Aldi even in many cases. Dried herbs, kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, that sort of stuff. All better quality than the Tesco Everyday Value equivalents that are often dearer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Their little tubs of cream cheese are amazing - I think the brand is Polish Taste. It's light and fluffy and much nicer than Philadelphia etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Their pretzels are great. At the moment they have a Mediterranean food event on and the manchego & jamon iberico they have in stock is properly lovely. Free range chickens they stock for around a fiver are great chickens. Big blue tubs of bourbon vanilla ice cream are delicious. As is their strawberry ice cream & the mini magnums mentioned. Feta is good too and their standard olive oil is my day to day olive oil. Also buy all nuts there. Good creme fraiche/cream.

Lidl is where we do our shop every week, pick up all cheeses & dairy, fruit & veg, pastas, paper products etc. Some things I pick up elsewhere, either on impulse or otherwise, but I buy most of my groceries in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Nuts in lidl are unreal - Pecans are often out of stock though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Pretzels are unreal. Plus I have a cast iron pan that I got there for 30 euro, it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Extra mature and Vintage Cheddar. OMG and so inexpensive. Slice it and bag it up. It won't last long!

Cavabel cream spread with peppers and chillies.

There are loads more, just can't think at the moment,

BUT, the mature cheddar cheese sourdough loaf is just so gorgeous. Try it.

Others will be back with more but the above are must haves for me.

(and the wine....he he).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I went to Lidl Ranelagh yesterday, there are some things I like to pick up there over other stores.

The baking section is great - you'll find big bags of almonds there for half the price of Tesco, and ground almonds the same.

Vanilla and almond essences (not extracts) are cheap and nice for adding to everyday baked treats (I may make too many baked treats if I need to carefully examine the price of essences!)

Seeds are big in my house - I always pick up pumpkin and sunflower seeds there. And brazil nuts.

I like the teas - there's a berry one that's so fruity and vibrant.

Not food - but dental floss is a total bargain, 2 packs for half the price of one in Tesco.
    (I need it after all my baked treats, and the gorgeous 74% cocoa Lidl chocolate).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

quaalude wrote: »
    ... the gorgeous 74% cocoa Lidl chocolate.
    You're a wimp. We go for the 81%.

So, apparently, do a lot of our neighbours, because it disappears fast from the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

You're a wimp. We go for the 81%.

So, apparently, do a lot of our neighbours, because it disappears fast from the shelves.

I prefer the 74% one alright - it has a fruitiness that I just love. One square satisfies perfectly.
    The 81% one is nice, but I've found myself having a square and I still want something sweet afterwards!
    The 74% has a better balance of cocoa flavour and sweetness, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Their Mackerel in tomato sauce is very nice. Has a kind of peppery taste to it. Team it up with a pumpkin square (bread) for a delish' lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

quaalude wrote: »
    I prefer the 74% one alright - it has a fruitiness that I just love. One square satisfies perfectly.
    The 81% one is nice, but I've found myself having a square and I still want something sweet afterwards!
    The 74% has a better balance of cocoa flavour and sweetness, in my opinion.

I agree. The 74% is the right balance for me, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

huskerdu wrote: »
    I agree. The 74% is the right balance for me, too.
    So who is buying all the 81%, then? I was looking to replenish my stock last week, and all the good stuff had been cleaned out. As I rooted through the display in the hope of finding even one bar, another shopper came up behind me saying to his companion that he hoped they could find some of the 81%. No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love the 81

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Their own brand Irish organic yoghurt is Glenisk. Their own brand prepacked chicken is Green Food, which is really good. Their own brand ice cream which is 2.5 litre in a red tub is incredible. Its made with real cream and not milk powder like HB. Their own brand Chocolate spread is excellent. Their fresh orange juice in the fridge is better than Tropicana. All their prepacked meats are pretty good quality.

IMO their cheese selection is better than Aldi. Eg Lidls Gorgonzola is amazing. Their Irish Cheddars are hit and miss depending on their maturity strength. Their tiramasu is amazing, when its instock. Its from Italy and is the right amount of Cream Cheese/wine

• Advertisement

Agh! Lidl have (mini) Bratwurst in this week! And Gruyere! *runs hysterically towards the pork products & cheese*

I'm going to buy myself some beer & mustard and pretend to be at Oktoberfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Agh! Lidl have (mini) Bratwurst in this week! And Gruyere! *runs hysterically towards the pork products & cheese*

I'm going to buy myself some beer & mustard and pretend to be at Oktoberfest.

I havnt been able to find any of the Gruyere. Has anyone ? ( & was it worth the hunting ? )

I got some :) It was delicious. Very gruyere-y indeed.

Couldn't get the Nuremburg bratwurst (little ones) but got some Thuringen (giant) ones & some Käsekrainer. We're having a very sausagey Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Their own brand prepacked chicken is Green Food, which is really good.

I am not a fan of their chicken breasts. they feel so firm when they are raw and can be tough once cooked. I would be interested to know what they are injected with.

I like their chorizo it is very nice its a great ingredient to have in the fridge. the smoked rashers are also nice but have a good bit of water in them.

lidl multigrain hoops are nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Their own brand prepacked chicken is Green Food, which is really good.
    lookitsme wrote: »
    I am not a fan of their chicken breasts. they feel so firm when they are raw and can be tough once cooked. I would be interested to know what they are injected with.

Im talking about their cooked chicken for sandwiches etc. Its really good

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Keep away from the new recipie ham slices. Horrible stuff with a rubbery texture. Warren & Sons its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

They recently had jars of aubergine caponata that was just delicious, couldn't get enough of it, it was only for a limited period though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Greek week coming up. Some great Greek stuff. I'll be stocking up on tins of vine leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Won't be long now before all their lovely German Christmas stuff comes in. The Marzipan dark chocolate logs are sensational- great value too!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Selfheal wrote: »
    Won't be long now before all their lovely German Christmas stuff comes in. The Marzipan dark chocolate logs are sensational- great value too!
    I LOVe the Spekulatus biscuits. Can't wait to see them!

Advertisement