Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5 year old bedwetting most nights after being fully trained

• 15-10-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I wonder if it is associated with starting school. Since then, 5 weeks in, my son has been wetting the bed most nights. We seldom get 2 dry nights in a row. We have tried stopping the drinks early in the evening but have noticed that even if he drinks nothing after 5,30 and goes to bed at 7.30, he can still wet. Am wondering if it's an anxiety thing about school even though he seems to be settling well. He has additional needs but was fully trained for a good 7/8 months before the regression. Any advice?

ALso, is there such a thing as a duvet protector? Have mattress protectors to beat the band but getting tired of washing duvets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

Hi. We had the same problem. I think she didn't go to toilet all day in school. And she was so tired after a day in school fell in to a deep sleep. So told her she has to go to toilet after getting up, in school small and big break, after school, before supper and before bed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You need to make going to the toilet part of the bedtime routine. It's not clear in your OP if that's the case?

My lad is almost six and still gets caught short every now and then, but that's mostly becuase hes not thinking about what he needs to do.

Some time kids could appear to regress with an activity, but it might be due to less focus on them being told to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

My daughter has gone through a phase of bedwetting and we just had enough and bought pullups, they have been a life saver, she's been dry about 2 weeks in them, up to that some nights dry others wet, but it has not formed a bad habit nor has she gotten lazy but it's taken any issues and shame out of the bedwetting while she aas going through some emotional changes. I would recommend using pullups. School would definitely trigger it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ah the poor little thing! School can be a big deal, even when outwardly they seem to love it and are happy going in. They get told they are all grown up and how exciting it is but we forget that they like being our baby too and that exciting can also mean nerves.

It's also exhausting for them at the start. It's common for JI kids to just conk out after a day of concentrating on the new environment, the new rules, the new kids etc.

If you think it's this, then lots of extra cuddles and closeness to you and chatting might help. I found with my lad if I dismiss his little worries it makes no difference but if I chat with him and agree that yes, a new class/teacher can be a bit scary in the beginning and tell him a story of when I felt that way (with a happy ending) it helps him feel validated I think and he calms right down if he knows it's a common feeling.

Holding on and not going to the toilet during the day in school is common as well, so combined with being wrecked tired and deeper sleeping it could result in a wet bed.

Practically, I've heard of layering the beds with sheet-towel-waterproof-sheet-towel waterproof so that you can whip off a wet layer and have a ready made dry layer ready to go. I've no suggestions on the duvet though other than to have another one covered and ready at hand rather than trying to fight with a duvet at stupid o'clock. You could tuck a nappy over his underwear and under his PJ's after he falls asleep to help catch any accidents. I wouldn't bother trying to tie the sides, the pj's should hold it in place enough to help protect the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My son had to be brought to the toilet at night for a good couple of years after he was trained. We'd make sure he went for a pee last thing, then at around 11pm we'd "lift" him - one of us would creep in, very gently lift him out of bed and in to the bathroom, no lights or noise. We would sit him on the toilet to pee then carry him back to bed. He would barely wake and would go back asleep immediately. On holidays last summer we totally forgot to do it and he was dry all week, so we continued not doing it when we got home. Only 2 or 3 accidents, mostly early mornings. He's just turned 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

checking in again. Been a month later and we did revert to pull ups again in the hope that we would gt back to the consecutive dry nights like the first time round and TBH a dry night is very rare so no apparent improvement. Have been wondering how long to persist with the pull ups at night. A month on and no change really. my worry is waking him up and he not getting back to sleep.Anyone think I should just stick with the pull ups a longer while? As said previously, he was fully trained at night til starting school Could be a co incidence....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Its very easy to answer this when you're not the frustrated parent washing all the bed linen but I probably would just resist the pull ups enttirely and do your best to establish a night wee routine until he remains dry at night. So limit liquids in the eve, wee before bed and lift again at 11/12. Also might be worth checking in with your gp if you're in to see if they have any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

73trix wrote: »
    checking in again. Been a month later and we did revert to pull ups again in the hope that we would gt back to the consecutive dry nights like the first time round and TBH a dry night is very rare so no apparent improvement. Have been wondering how long to persist with the pull ups at night. A month on and no change really. my worry is waking him up and he not getting back to sleep.Anyone think I should just stick with the pull ups a longer while? As said previously, he was fully trained at night til starting school Could be a co incidence....

Given that he's been trained previously and has reverted back to wetting, have you taken him to the doctor to check that there's no underlying cause?

I know it's a pain having to change sheets and covers every day but I would take him out of the pull ups altogether to be honest

There are waterproof duvet protectors as well as the mattress ones. Would you consider an enuresis alarm?

Advertisement