Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to California

• 05-10-2019 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm currently living in Canada and I'm planning to move to California next year. Just wondering has anyone ever lived there and is it as beautiful as people say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Nah, you'd definitely hate it.

Not as easy to get in to as Canada. So how are you getting your US Visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Assuming you have your visa stuff all squared away....

But, yes it is beautiful, I'll be here 5 years this month and I don't plan on returning back to Ireland any time soon.

However, it is expensive, probably the most expensive on any State in the US.

But, yes it is beautiful, I'll be here 5 years this month and I don't plan on returning back to Ireland any time soon.

I used to read your posts when I lived in Ireland - hoping to win the visa lottery and live in the U.S one day (Before Trump).

I'm in Toronto 1 year now and loving it. I don't plan on returning to Ireland any time soon either. It's the closest thing I could get to living in the States - everything looks and sounds the same, looking like New York City with the traffic of Los Angeles haha.

I'm in software so who knows, maybe we stay here for years and move to Silicon Vally by 2025 :D Maybe just make a new Canadian Dream instead :)

Plenty of software gigs here, I'd imagine your best bet would be work for one of the big tech firms and see about a transfer.

Toronto is good too, I just wouldn't love the winters there. In SoCal we have 2 seasons, "Summer" and "Less Summer".

"Summer" and "Less Summer".
    Brilliant!
    best bet would be work for one of the big tech firms and see about a transfer.

Those seemingly shakey 'tether' visa's? That if you lose your job you get kicked out of the country, would not appeal to me.

I have read that once you get Canadian citizenship you can work freely for any employer in the US as long as you have a job offer. - Not that I'm banking on that. Happy enough here, even with winter - that's what ski's and toques are for eh?

• Advertisement

jme2010 wrote: »
    Brilliant!

Those seemingly shakey 'tether' visa's? That if you lose your job you get kicked out of the country, would not appeal to me.

I have read that once you get Canadian citizenship you can work freely for any employer in the US as long as you have a job offer. - Not that I'm banking on that. Happy enough here, even with winter - that's what ski's and toques are for eh?

I'm pretty sure Canadians still need visas to work here. It might be an easier process but they still need them.

I don't know about tether visas, but I have some friends who came over from Ireland with some of the big tech companies and they all came on the "exceptional talent" Visa, which as far as I'm aware isn't tied to an employer. They've all moved jobs here and had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I'm pretty sure Canadians still need visas to work here. It might be an easier process but they still need them.

Canadians can get a TN visa, which can be obtained at the border and only requires a job offer. They can also get L1 visas at the border too so long as they have been working for a Canaidan subsidiary for at least one year
    I don't know about tether visas, but I have some friends who came over from Ireland with some of the big tech companies and they all came on the "exceptional talent" Visa, which as far as I'm aware isn't tied to an employer. They've all moved jobs here and had no problems.

L1 and H1B visas are tied to employers, basically if you lose your job you lose your status. Sounds like you are talking about O-1 visa which is not tied to an employer but is quite difficult to get, also spouses will only get O-3 which doesn't allow the holder to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

L1 and H1B visas are tied to employers, basically if you lose your job you lose your status.

H1Bs are transferrable between employers, but there isn't really a grace period if you lose your job.

Canadians can get a TN visa, which can be obtained at the border and only requires a job offer. They can also get L1 visas at the border too so long as they have been working for a Canaidan subsidiary for at least one year
    I don't know about tether visas, but I have some friends who came over from Ireland with some of the big tech companies and they all came on the "exceptional talent" Visa, which as far as I'm aware isn't tied to an employer. They've all moved jobs here and had no problems.[/QUOTE]

L1 and H1B visas are tied to employers, basically if you lose your job you lose your status. Sounds like you are talking about O-1 visa which is not tied to an employer but is quite difficult to get, also spouses will only get O-3 which doesn't allow the holder to work.[/QUOTE]

O-1 sounds right, single guys, no issues with spouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I'm move to California in a heartbeat.

What areas are you thinking of OP?

I have no clue why everyone is prattling on about visas.
    Seems like a typical Irish begrudging thing to automatically do...

Am sure the OP has looked into this already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Was in California for the first time this summer , and it was one of the nicest places i have ever been.
    As already has been said , very expensive though

Lesalare wrote: »
    I'm move to California in a heartbeat.

What areas are you thinking of OP?

I have no clue why everyone is prattling on about visas.
    Seems like a typical Irish begrudging thing to automatically do...

Am sure the OP has looked into this already.

It's not at all begrudging. If you don't have a visa you can't stay there long term.

It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

It's not at all begrudging. If you don't have a visa you can't stay there long term.

It's that simple.

The OP didn't ask about visas, they asked: "Just wondering has anyone ever lived there and is it as beautiful as people say?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

L1 and H1B visas are tied to employers, basically if you lose your job you lose your status. Sounds like you are talking about O-1 visa which is not tied to an employer but is quite difficult to get, also spouses will only get O-3 which doesn't allow the holder to work.

My husband has an O1 and myself and daughter O3s. I can't work but I could apply for an employment authorisation card if I wanted . Im not sure what the likelihood of being granted one would be? I'm sure it's pretty straightforward. The spouse needs to vouch for them though and sign an affidavit of support or similar as the card holder will not be entitled to any government benefits in the event of unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    My husband has an O1 and myself and daughter O3s. I can't work but I could apply for an employment authorisation card if I wanted . Im not sure what the likelihood of being granted one would be? I'm sure it's pretty straightforward. The spouse needs to vouch for them though and sign an affidavit of support or similar as the card holder will not be entitled to any government benefits in the event of unemployment.

Not sure where you're reading that but O-3 holders are not allowed to work

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement
    Family of O-1 and O-2 Visa Holders
    Any accompanying or following to join spouse and children under the age of 21 may be eligible to apply for an O-3 nonimmigrant visa, subject to the same period of admission and limitations as the O-1/O-2 nonimmigrant. They may not work in the United States under this classification, but they may engage in full or part time study on an O-3 visa.

Not being able to work means not being able to apply for EAD (unlike, say, L-2 holders who can apply for EAD). The only circumstance under which an O-3 holder can apply for EAD is if the O-1/2 holder has applied for a Green Card and has filed forms I140 and I485.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not sure where you're reading that but O-3 holders are not allowed to work

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement

Not being able to work means not being able to apply for EAD (unlike, say, L-2 holders who can apply for EAD). The only circumstance under which an O-3 holder can apply for EAD is if the O-1/2 holder has applied for a Green Card and has filed forms I140 and I485.

Whoops. I dont know why I thought O3s can apply for an EAD. I was sure I had read that they can. Oh well, luckily I dont need or particularly want to work here.

Advertisement