Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

January 1st VAT Increase

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    A potential issue down the tracks is Brexit, as most chippers use English varieties that fry better than Irish grown ones.
    Good, the best chips I ever had were from a Romayos, they use Irish grown potatoes.

I much prefer golden brown chips, and the Brits seemingly like white ones. I saw a program which I think was about walkers crisps and they were showing crisps made with different potatoes, or possibly one did not have the starch washed away. They were holding up lovely brown crisps as though they were horrible, and then swooning over the nearly pure white ones they wanted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

deezell wrote: »
    20 cent is the VAT increase on a beverage costing €5 which perhaps you might pay in some 5 star gaff for a cuppa, otherwise it's same old story, add the extra vat, then add once to twice as much again, sure customers are stupid.
    Have you ever noticed these places with chalkboard menus, and all sorts of little handwritten sayings about ethos, and balance and provenence and sustainability, and a whole load of other eco/hippy sh1te, then the guy with the ponytail asks you with a straight face for €3 for a cup with hot water and a tiny cheap tea bag in it.

Yep. Price of tea is mad. Not a coffee drinker so dunno about the markup there but you can get a box of (actually nice) 80 tea bags in lidl for 1.49...so it's mad to pay 2.xx for tea pretty much everyday but I like to get out of the office for a few minutes.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I get an online weekly newsletter from our local TD.

One of the items in this weeks newsletter is a comment quote:

increase in VAT from 0 to 23% on food supplements, including vitamins and minerals from the 1st of March 2019.

This true? VAT on minerals going from zero to 23% in one hit? Bloody hell, won't be any point in going out for a meal, can't drink alcohol, now can't drink minerals.:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Minerals as in zinc, iron supplements; not the odd Irish use of the word for soft drinks.

Effectively, the 0% rate is being abused in certain circumstances (for gym-bunny muscle builder stuff etc) but rather than fix the edge cases, Revenue intend to get rid of the relief entirely. There are significant numbers of people who are even prescribed them by doctors/hospital scripts but they aren't considered medicines and not covered by the DPS either.

https://www.labour.ie/news/2019/01/25/revenue-should-stop-vitamin-tax/

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

You all take a very simplistic view of things and obviously have never run a business in the hospitality sector.

Since Jan 1st nowhere I have been in has claimed that price increases are purely due to the VAT and wage increases. What they have said is that they have not increased their prices in many years and have used this as an opportunity to adjust their prices to reflect the general rising costs of doing business. This is exactly what we have said to our customers and I have not had a single customer complain about our price increases, have seen no drop off in trade and have retained all of our regular customers.

Perhaps have a chat with the business owners rather then making assumptions that they are trying to rip you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

You all take a very simplistic view of things and obviously have never run a business in the hospitality sector.

Since Jan 1st nowhere I have been in has claimed that price increases are purely due to the VAT and wage increases. What they have said is that they have not increased their prices in many years and have used this as an opportunity to adjust their prices to reflect the general rising costs of doing business. This is exactly what we have said to our customers and I have not had a single customer complain about our price increases, have seen no drop off in trade and have retained all of our regular customers.

Perhaps have a chat with the business owners rather then making assumptions that they are trying to rip you off.

Nobody is saying that the restauranteurs are ripping anyone off.

However, I was in a place 3-4 weeks ago. Wrote a report on Tripadvisor, complaining about their charges ( and reading back I was anything but the only complainant). They admitted in reply that they had to up their charges because of the VAT increase. Now reading of this mineral increase ( which I admit I thought was referring to cool drinks) makes me wonder just where these increases are heading, and what damage they might do come the tourist season.

Good for You that You had no drop off in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nobody is saying that the restauranteurs are ripping anyone off.

However, I was in a place 3-4 weeks ago. Wrote a report on Tripadvisor, complaining about their charges ( and reading back I was anything but the only complainant). They admitted in reply that they had to up their charges because of the VAT increase. Now reading of this mineral increase ( which I admit I thought was referring to cool drinks) makes me wonder just where these increases are heading, and what damage they might do come the tourist season.

Good for You that You had no drop off in business.
    Do a lot of tourists come here to buy their vitamins and minerals?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The increase is fairly noticeable- in addition to the increases in minimum wage and rounding up food etc has had a nice rise

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭deezell

It's becoming very difficult to find a bottle of house wine around the 20 mark anywhere now, and €8 a glass is common in hotel restaurants (€32 per bottle IF they properly decant 4 glasses to the bottle). With a lot of this house wine retailing for as little €6 a bottle, markups of 400% plus always seems excessive to me. A couple of basic barfood mains and a bottle of red house will set you back €60-70 in some places, and very ordinary food and wine at that. Ripoff is making me stay in more definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It's becoming very difficult to find a bottle of house wine around the 20 mark anywhere now, and €8 a glass is common in hotel restaurants (€32 per bottle IF they properly decant 4 glasses to the bottle). With a lot of this house wine retailing for as little €6 a bottle, markups of 400% plus always seems excessive to me. A couple of basic barfood mains and a bottle of red house will set you back €60-70 in some places, and very ordinary food and wine at that. Ripoff is making me stay in more definitely.

In fairness, the only place you'll get a bottle of wine for €6 these days is Lidl. But wine has always attracted big markups. More places should do boxed or draft house wine like they do in Europe.

Funny enough, JD Wetherspoons manages to do bottles of wine for between 13 and 15 euro, so I don't know why everyone else can't do it for less than double that.

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote: »
    In fairness, the only place you'll get a bottle of wine for €6 these days is Lidl. But wine has always attracted big markups. More places should do boxed or draft house wine like they do in Europe.

Funny enough, JD Wetherspoons manages to do bottles of wine for between 13 and 15 euro, so I don't know why everyone else can't do it for less than double that.

Greed? Opportunism? Avarice? They're valid business reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ripoff is making me stay in more definitely.
    You should be looking for BYOB places. I am surprised there are not BYOB pubs, basically a pub with no licence but has a cover charge or corkage.

here is a recent enough guide for dublin
    https://lovindublin.com/food/10-byob-spots-in-dublin-for-when-youd-rather-splash-your-cash-on-top-notch-grub

Monto's in Kimmage is a great BYOB spot too, no nonsense Italian style pasta and raditional Irish dishes, (but owners are from middle east). Super value, and supervalu across the road for the drinks, beer as well as wine permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Would kids indoor play centres be included in this VAT hike? I went to one today, first time in a while, price had increased from 7.95 to 8.50. The employee told me the increase in VAT was the reason. They also increased their party prices from 13.95 per head to 15.95 per head.

Would kids indoor play centres be included in this VAT hike? I went to one today, first time in a while, price had increased from 7.95 to 8.50. The employee told me the increase in VAT was the reason. They also increased their party prices from 13.95 per head to 15.95 per head.

That's a little more than 4%, but given they're being hammered by double figure insurance hikes I'm surprised it's not more.

That's a little more than 4%, but given they're being hammered by double figure insurance hikes I'm surprised it's not more.

When the good weather comes, it'll be outdoor playgrounds for us. It's too pricey, especially with more than one kid in tow. Plus they have a strict food policy, only food bought there can be eaten there. It's an expensive day out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That is still 9%, so if they're charging 13.5% they're remitting too much to Revenue!

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/A/adventure-centre-admissions-sporting-facilities-.aspx

L1011 wrote: »
    That is still 9%, so if they're charging 13.5% they're remitting too much to Revenue!

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/A/adventure-centre-admissions-sporting-facilities-.aspx

Yes, I was wondering if these play centres would be included?! In that case I'd say they are spinning a yarn to customers. They probably just wanted to increase their prices.

Ask for a VAT receipt, it will specify the rate.

Advertisement