Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 1st VAT Increase

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    My Chinese takeaway tonight cost €20.30. Usually costs €20.

A 1.5% price increase, not even passing on the full VAT hike, other scumbag restaurants would have gone to €22.50 or €25.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Avoca chicken sandwich went up from €6.95 to €7.95. That's a 14% increase! That and my custom lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭deezell

ixoy wrote: »
    Avoca chicken sandwich went up from €6.95 to €7.95. That's a 14% increase! That and my custom lost.

Is that a cold takeaway sandwich? There's no VAT or price increase on cold takeout food. My chicken/bacon/mayo on brown hasn't changed price in Dealz today. €1.50. Thats a full weeks lunch plus 45c change for your Avoca job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

You were being ripped off at €6.95

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Minimum wage went up .30/hr too. Some places might be trying to pass that on aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

deezell wrote: »
    Is that a cold takeaway sandwich? There's no VAT or price increase on cold takeout food. My chicken/bacon/mayo on brown hasn't changed price in Dealz today. €1.50. Thats a full weeks lunch plus 45c change for your Avoca job.

Interesting data-mining task for someone - where is the nearest Dealz to an Avoca :pac:

I'd guess at Dun Laoghaire to Monkstown myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Businesses wont change their prices for every increase in their costs, many will absorb small increases over the year and then change their prices in one go, changing menu prices every week just isnt feasible.

Jan 1st brought a 4.5% increase in VAT, an increase in wages of 2.6% and a rates increase of 2% all outside of the businesses control and all unavoidable.

The vat increase will also result in higher bank charges as well as there will be more cash (vat not profit) to be banked.

These are just the increases from the Govt, plenty of other increases as well but at least the business can shop around for the other increases.

Its not all price gouging thats going on out there a lot of it is simply passing on Govt increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

L1011 wrote: »
    Interesting data-mining task for someone - where is the nearest Dealz to an Avoca :pac:

I'd guess at Dun Laoghaire to Monkstown myself.
    Avoca on suffock st, and Dealz on Liffy st,Neither are good examples as they both make millons each year and don't care about the vat increase

The 2.6% increase was for the entry point of the minimum wage. What percentage of a business's staff would be on this bottom rate. Experienced, semi skilled, trades professionals, and all other staff did not receive this meagre rise. They would be paid the market rate. It's simplistic to say the wages bill rose in January by 2.6% unless the entire staff were earning the entry point of the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The 2.6% increase was for the entry point of the minimum wage. What percentage of a business's staff would be on this bottom rate. Experienced, semi skilled, trades professionals, and all other staff did not receive this meagre rise. They would be paid the market rate. It's simplistic to say the wages bill rose in January by 2.6% unless the entire staff were earning the entry point of the minimum wage.

True but once the other staff see those on the min wage getting a rise they will be looking for their own increase.

Nothing meager about a 2.6% increase in a labour intensive business when you add it up over a year.

• Advertisement

But it would only apply to a fraction of the wage bill unless the business was a complete sweat shop. What fraction of total wages in say, a 100 bedroom hotel, is paid at the lowest min wage entry point. Some but not all of the room service staff, same for restaurant floor and kitchen porter staff, a few casual bar staff and casual function staff maybe. At a guess I'd say less than 25% of staff, and less than 10% of the wage and salary bill, so an increase of 0.26% to the business . The idea that the higher grades would submit a wage claim based on the min wage increase is fantasy.

coleslaw wrote: »
    Avoca on suffock st, and Dealz on Liffy st,Neither are good examples as they both make millons each year and don't care about the vat increase

Avoca cared enough to use it to mask a 14% price rise on a chicken sambo. I could buy an entire ready roasted bird in Dunnes for that, plus a batch loaf and a few cans of Dutch gold, enough for a family meal, no cooking required.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The idea that the higher grades would submit a wage claim based on the min wage increase is fantasy.

Was done when I worked in BT in the last decade. People wanted to see the differential maintained

There's general wage increases occuring for the first time in about ten years in many (but not all) sectors of the economy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pablo128 wrote: »
    Oh how they cried poverty, cried and cried till the VAT got lowered. Did they pass it on to the customers? Or their staff? Did they fcuk.

They are getting what they deserve.
    It's us.....i.e. YOU...paying the increase!!!!

Sure that'll teach them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shelflife wrote: »
    Businesses wont change their prices for every increase in their costs, many will absorb small increases over the year and then change their prices in one go, changing menu prices every week just isnt feasible.
    +1, prices go up for various reasons. You would be an idiot to jack up the price a lot and say it is due to the VAT rise. Everybody has a calculator (phone) on them these days, it is easy to see when a shop is lying. People might not mind a price increase but might leave a shop out of spite it they are being lied to.
    Avoca cared enough to use it to mask a 14% price rise on a chicken sambo.
    Did avoca actually have a sign up saying the price increases were due to VAT? implying it has only gone up the correct amount it should have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Just noticed the cafe just down from me in Royal Canal Park, Appatizers, has said they will absorb the increase as long as they can. Look after local businesses that look after you. Vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Tazz T wrote:
    Just noticed the cafe just down from me in Royal Canal Park, Appatizers, has said they will absorb the increase as long as they can. Look after local businesses that look after you. Vote with your feet.

Couldn't agree more. Thet only way to stop this crap is to never darken their doors again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Minimum wage went up .30/hr too. Some places might be trying to pass that on aswell.

i think this is probably the main thing the increases are paying for. I like to go out in the mornings for takeaway cuppa tea...which was already extortionate. However, one place put it up by 20 cent, they use delicious posh tea but I will not be buying regularly anymore. Going to be the odd treat now.
    Wage increase for minimum wage workers not worth much to them if all the prices are gone up too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭timc1

I wouldn't be touching Avoca's sandwiches on Suffolk street anyways .....The sister in law bought one last week, brought back to her desk, took one bite and was greeted with a black caterpillar(over one inche)crawling out of it....

i think this is probably the main thing the increases are paying for. I like to go out in the mornings for takeaway cuppa tea...which was already extortionate. However, one place put it up by 20 cent, they use delicious posh tea but I will not be buying regularly anymore. Going to be the odd treat now.
    Wage increase for minimum wage workers not worth much to them if all the prices are gone up too. :rolleyes:
    20 cent is the VAT increase on a beverage costing €5 which perhaps you might pay in some 5 star gaff for a cuppa, otherwise it's same old story, add the extra vat, then add once to twice as much again, sure customers are stupid.
    Have you ever noticed these places with chalkboard menus, and all sorts of little handwritten sayings about ethos, and balance and provenence and sustainability, and a whole load of other eco/hippy sh1te, then the guy with the ponytail asks you with a straight face for €3 for a cup with hot water and a tiny cheap tea bag in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭Xterminator

timc1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be touching Avoca's sandwiches on Suffolk street anyways .....The sister in law bought one last week, brought back to her desk, took one bite and was greeted with a black caterpillar(over one inche)crawling out of it....

The ingredients were so fresh even the local fauna survived? nice! /s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Please tell me your Sister-in-law informed them of her findings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Thousand island leg dressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

It's us.....i.e. YOU...paying the increase!!!!

Sure that'll teach them

You have a choice whether to give that particular establishment your business or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Just cancelled an order made with Base Pizza tonight as they’ve taken the opportunity for a price hike well beyond the VAT increase. A small pizza is now €13, up from €11. The large is now €18, up from €15ish. Their dips were €1 and are now €1.50. Absolute price gauging and Celtic Tiger behaviour that I hope other people notice and object to.

Won’t be returning to them, they were already expensive for take away pizza, but they’re now beyond a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Take-away I usually frequent has increased prices significantly

A portion of chips used to be 2.45 is now 3.25 - 32 pc increase :eek:

Greedy, greedy bastards...i Hope they choke on their ginger salmon

Bring back Eddie Hobbs..all is forgiven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

SozBbz wrote: »
    Just cancelled an order made with Base Pizza tonight as they’ve taken the opportunity for a price hike well beyond the VAT increase. A small pizza is now €13, up from €11. The large is now €18, up from €15ish. Their dips were €1 and are now €1.50. Absolute price gauging and Celtic Tiger behaviour that I hope other people notice and object to.

Won’t be returning to them, they were already expensive for take away pizza, but they’re now beyond a joke.

Only if people remove their custom will this kind of thing not happen. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Take-away I usually frequent has increased prices significantly

A portion of chips used to be 2.45 is now 3.25 - 32 pc increase :eek:
    Are they putting this down to VAT though?

the wholesale price of potatoes is meant to be double what it was last year. I looked it up and seems true. However I also calculated that the price increase should be pretty small, as the cost of the potatoes is already so cheap.

Romayos chippers jacked up the prices a while ago and there was lots of backlash on facebook, they deleted some of their posts which had comments/complaints under them. I have not returned to them since.

For as long as I remember it was always traditional for the chippers to jack up their prices in spring, on the pretext of the rising prices of the old potatoes, or laughably, because of the ' new potatoes', which they wouldn't/ couldn't use anyway. There was only one chipper in the town way back then, so they could do what they liked. The beer hungry crowd after closing quickly forgot their outrage anyway.

• Advertisement

There is a legitimate rise in the wholesale cost due to the weather last year (get used to this variability going forward). A potential issue down the tracks is Brexit, as most chippers use English varieties that fry better than Irish grown ones.

Advertisement