Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post Registered Post rip off

Options
  • 21-06-2018 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Had to send a letter this week to a business in to cancel an order. Cancelled by phone and returned form by registered post (€8) to confirm cancellation. An Post attempted delivery at 8.21. Business does not open until 9am. Letter is now back in depot. If not collected the letter will go to lost property in Limerick. If I had sent the letter by regular post it would have been delivered. An Post effectively charges €8 for nothing. Spoke to their Customer services and I have to say you would have to search high and low to find someone with the particular talent for unhelpfulness that the man I spoke to displayed. Will NEVER use this service again. A total rip-off!!! Lesson learned

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This isn't a rip off in any way, shape or form.

You specifically paid for recorded delivery - by choice - and there was no way to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Seems a bit pointless to attempt to deliver a registered letter to a business at that time though, shouldn't they make repeated attempts?

Would put me off using a registered letter as they cost a bit, so seems to defeat the purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

L1011 wrote: »
    You specifically paid for recorded delivery - by choice - and there was no way to do so.

Maybe if An Post tried to deliver to a business during business hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

What business doesn't open unti 9pm to accept post? Think that is a bit odd but An post should really make registered deliverys during business hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

1874 wrote: »
    Seems a bit pointless to attempt to deliver a registered letter to a business at that time though, shouldn't they make repeated attempts?

In recent years An Post has had a policy of informing customers especially business ones that staff can be on on the road as early as 730am and to have some means of allowing the post man to make a delivery and if you expect to get a lot of registered items make sure there is someone on your premises to receive it or you will need to collect it
    shouldn't they make repeated attempts?

Except for the new PXP packages all items are only entitled to one attempt at delivery unless you pay a redelivery fee and most routes are set up so that the postman wouldn't be going by the premises again .
    ...An post should really make registered deliverys during business hours

It's very difficult to set up a delivery route so that all businesses on it get their post after 9am So who picks up the cost of extra people to deliver those registered items separately .It's never made economic sense to have separate registered items deliverys except in Dublin 1 & 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Tarajane97

True I paid by choice, but if I had known that the item would be attempted to be be delivered outside of business hours I would not have done so. What would have been the point?Customers should be informed that items may be delivered outside of standard hours, then you can decide if you are willing to chance this form of delivery. What is the point of paying for a recorded delivery that doesn't turn out to be a recorded delivery. I'm still seeing a rip off here. I could have sent the letter for €1.00 through regular post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The pickup from the sorting office will be recorded, with the signature that was presumably the entire point of sending it recorded.

The pickup from the sorting office will be recorded, with the signature that was presumably the entire point of sending it recorded.

This is the case if the item is picked up. If it is not, and my order is not cancelled then I have a separate issue with the destination company for not collecting. My own place of work does not pick up such items. A lot of their post is received through standard couriers, which does cost more. So I am not seeing the point of using Registered Post. My letter didn't get to it's destination, which is what I thought I was paying for. I should have used a courier company & paid more because that appears to be the only way to ensure delivery. And yes I am at fault for trying to use a service that doesn't ensure delivery.

No service actually ensures delivery as delivery can be refused; hence you will never get a guarantee of delivery - delivery or return to you or refund would be the best.

No service actually ensures delivery as delivery can be refused; hence you will never get a guarantee of delivery - delivery or return to you or refund would be the best.

That is a fair point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Tarajane97 wrote: »
    This is the case if the item is picked up. If it is not, and my order is not cancelled then I have a separate issue with the destination company for not collecting. My own place of work does not pick up such items. A lot of their post is received through standard couriers, which does cost more. So I am not seeing the point of using Registered Post. My letter didn't get to it's destination, which is what I thought I was paying for. I should have used a courier company & paid more because that appears to be the only way to ensure delivery. And yes I am at fault for trying to use a service that doesn't ensure delivery.

This not the fault of An Post. You paid for a safe reliable service and An Post carried out their end of the bargain.

As has been pointed out delivery staff are on the road from 7.30am so not every address can have mail after 9. If a company gets a lot of packets or registered mail they should have someone there to accept delivery. What does the Postperson do at lunchtime if the business is closed?

What are business hours anyway? If you use 9 - 5 you are way behind the times. I start work at 5.30am. A lot of business now start at 8am or have people onsite from 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Effects wrote: »
    Maybe if An Post tried to deliver to a business during business hours?

Most business will have people into recurve post before 9. Most offices are open from 7 or even earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Had to send a letter this week to a business in to cancel an order. Cancelled by phone and returned form by registered post (€8) to confirm cancellation. An Post attempted delivery at 8.21. Business does not open until 9am. Letter is now back in depot. If not collected the letter will go to lost property in Limerick. If I had sent the letter by regular post it would have been delivered. An Post effectively charges €8 for nothing. Spoke to their Customer services and I have to say you would have to search high and low to find someone with the particular talent for unhelpfulness that the man I spoke to displayed. Will NEVER use this service again. A total rip-off!!! Lesson learned

Agreed, I wont use An Post registered post anymore. Rather pay the extra euro and send it via courier than give it to An Post.

The same service in the UK is royal mail first class signed for at £1.77 or second class signed for £1.68. It is an absolute disgrace that our national postal service will charge €8 to send a signed for envelope.

The price has increased a number of times over last few years but €8 is just taking the piss altogether now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

An post operates a super expensive service. A package to the UK was almost 30eu. Smaller than a shoebox and cheapest delivery possible. Drove over the border and it was 3 pound sterling. Not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

That is a fair point!
    Why would a delivery be refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The intended recipient may not want the bill youre sending or not wish to engage with you over the matter they are writing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

But a person would need to open it or they wouldn't know who it was from and what it was about

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    But a person would need to open it or they wouldn't know who it was from and what it was about

If you've a decent idea that bad news is coming and a registered envelope arrives...

Advertisement