Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STORM EVA Strong winds Wednesday 23rd. Gusts possible up to 120km/h

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very wet in Castlebar, but was windier in the early hours of the morning, we finally hit 2000mm of rain for the year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

75 knot convective gusts possible as the front crosses the country tonight, according to this.

usSajFUh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Weather warnings updated on Met...

Orange now includes Cork.

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    Southerly winds of mean speeds of 60 to 65km/h gusting 100 to 110km/h will develop this afternoon. Stronger winds of mean speeds of 70 to 80km/h with gusts up to 120km/h at times, are likely between 1600 and 2200hrs.

Issued:Wednesday 23 December 2015 12:00
    Valid:Wednesday 23 December 2015 13:00 to Thursday 24 December 2015 01:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Southerly winds of mean speeds of 60 to 65km/h gusting 100 to 110km/h., will develop later this afternoon and evening.

Issued:Wednesday 23 December 2015 12:00
    Valid:Wednesday 23 December 2015 15:00 to Thursday 24 December 2015 02:00

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And Kerry included too!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CinderKone

Just went out for a run here in Kerry and could have flown back. Already big waves in Finet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I live in Limerick, and we have had 3 warnings already this winter and absolutely nothing to worry about. Maybe a wheelie bin knocked over. I just think this panick and warning people not to travel is really unnecessary.

I live in Limerick and in the recent events have encountered flooded (impassable) roads and trees blown down blocking roads.

I believe any warning is warranted as long as people understand it is a warning. i.e. there is the possibility of an issue and take note of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Eva making her presence felt now on the west coast,becoming stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The calm before the storm in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Just been out clearing drains, 500 ft high in south kerry mountains. Its getting quite gusty already..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Typical woman always late :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

legomaniac wrote: »
    I believe all this naming storms is nonsense. It's gone the same way as USA where even a few flurries of snow or a gale 8 wind creates a media frenzy. I have lived in South Donegal all my life. We get storms every winter. Several storms. It is the same for the entire western seaboard. 120km per hour GUSTS do not warrant orange alerts. Just a normal gale warning. It has left everyone hyped and daft about the weather.
    Totally agree every nearly every aspect of our lives is now governed by catastrophic thinking. Naming the storms and hyping them up i suppose is a result of now having a weather industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I live in Limerick, and we have had 3 warnings already this winter and absolutely nothing to worry about. Maybe a wheelie bin knocked over. I just think this panick and warning people not to travel is really unnecessary.

Go tell that to the parents whose kids were on the school bus that had a tree blown atop it recently... If you are safe, fine but that is not so nationwide. No one is panicking by the way, just taking care. In Storm Clodagh I went the long way round to Killarney very early lest a tree was down on the deserted ring road.. taking care was all. I need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Totally agree every nearly every aspect of our lives is now governed by catastrophic thinking. Naming the storms and hyping them up i suppose is a result of now having a weather industry.

Try telling that to the hundreds of homes and business premises that may never recover from the damage caused by Desmond, by naming them its easier and people sit up and take precautions that were not taken before, don't forget lives have been lost also. Cannot understand why it bothers some people if they name a storm, if lives and property can be protected then its great.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Just been out clearing drains, 500 ft high in south kerry mountains. Its getting quite gusty already..

Same here. 400 ft.. just got all but blown off my feet out there..

Carnacalla wrote: »
    And Kerry included too!

Is it? That figures! RIght! Early feed for the critters and all in for the night..

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Try telling that to the hundreds of homes and business premises that may never recover from the damage caused by Desmond, by naming them its easier and people sit up and take precautions that were not taken before, don't forget lives have been lost also. Cannot understand why it bothers some people if they name a storm, if lives and property can be protected then its great.

The lack of precautions re Darwin made for a much better warning system. That day the red warning was far too late and kids were trapped in schools who should have been kept at home. The current system is far safer. I was glad to see that school buses will not run in red warnings now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Graces7 wrote: »
    Is it? That figures! RIght! Early feed for the critters and all in for the night..

Hey Grace can I ask where are you (approx.), I have wondered before ? My closest place is Sneem.

SB

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Dark skies with a few showers here in Waterford City, Winds picking up with gusts to 40km/h. The Wxsim forecast software which runs on my site predicting gusts to 70km/h later. Its normally very accurate when forecasting Max Gusts for my location.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

10 min avg wind speed 31 Kph now in Ardfert, gusting over 60Kph

A couple of big blustery showers about an hour ago.

Edit: gust 68 kph

Met eireann say storm will be short lived not expecting much in Galway nothing more than were use too.

But as shown in a chart early there is potential for severe convective gusts as the band of rain passes through we shall see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

gust of 73 knots at Belmullet, 4pm....

Bit breezy in Galway nothing more yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Slight breeze here now, no wheelie bins knocked over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Bit breezy in Galway nothing more yet

4 - 8 pm then its over

Gusty sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

winds picked up in cork city now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

135kmh Gust at Belmullet! That is Red Warning levels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Most likely an isolated convective gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

All quiet and calm on Cork's southside

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Most likely an isolated convective gust.

Yep. Convective gusts in that ballpark were expected. Will be interesting to see how active the front will be later tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

pauldry wrote: »
    4 - 8 pm then its over

Gusty sligo

Are you near the coast Pauldry? Just a few minor gusts where I am in Sligo (further inland) so far...;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement