Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STORM EVA Strong winds Wednesday 23rd. Gusts possible up to 120km/h

• 22-12-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo and Clare
    Southerly winds veering southwest of mean speeds of 60 to 65km/h gusting 100 to 110km/h expected, with stronger winds of mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 120km/h at times between 1600 and 2100hrs.
    Issued:Tuesday 22 December 2015 12:00
    Valid:Wednesday 23 December 2015 13:00 to Wednesday 23 December 2015 23:59

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Southerly winds of mean speeds of 60 to 65km/h gusting 100 to 110km/h expected Wednesday evening and early Wednesday night.
    Valid:Wednesday 23 December 2015 13:00 to Wednesday 23 December 2015 23:59

23/12/15 12:00 UPDATE:

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    Southerly winds of mean speeds of 60 to 65km/h gusting 100 to 110km/h will develop this afternoon. Stronger winds of mean speeds of 70 to 80km/h with gusts up to 120km/h at times, are likely between 1600 and 2200hrs.

Issued:Wednesday 23 December 2015 12:00
    Valid:Wednesday 23 December 2015 13:00 to Thursday 24 December 2015 01:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim, Roscommon, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Southerly winds of mean speeds of 60 to 65km/h gusting 100 to 110km/h., will develop later this afternoon and evening.

Issued:Wednesday 23 December 2015 12:00
    Valid:Wednesday 23 December 2015 15:00 to Thursday 24 December 2015 02:00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Before the post gets started could I say well done to all our posters on here especially MT who flagged this so far out, well done guys you know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just seen this on met ie..we will weather it somehow.. We always do! My reaction was " OH GOD!"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I just hope it doesn't veer anymore southerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Has this system been officially declared a named storm yet? BBC TV guy this morning said it probably wouldn't get that honour.
    Maybe they're raising the bar so as not to run out of names before the season is through :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

franer1970 wrote: »
    Has this system been officially declared a named storm yet? BBC TV guy this morning said it probably wouldn't get that honour.
    Maybe they're raising the bar so as not to run out of names before the season is through :rolleyes:

Met Eireann issued a weather advisory at 12pm, but wasn't up until around 1pm

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Clare
    A developing storm is expected to track to the west and northwest of Ireland later Wednesday and Wednesday night and will bring some severe winds to coastal counties of the west and northwest of Ireland. This storm has been named Eva, as there is an orange status wind warning in operation for counties Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Donegal.
    Valid:Wednesday 23 December 2015 13:01 to Wednesday 23 December 2015 23:59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It has been named Eva

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ECM shows gusts close to 130 km/h at times but just on the exposed coast.

A1mLuM4l.jpg

Anything stronger than that looks unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Worst gales I ever experienced were when I lived on an Outer Northern Orkney island. One was gusts of up to 124 MILES an hour and I was feeding my stock in that, clinging to washing poles. You felt as if the skin was being flayed off your face and the huge rocks that got thrown up on the shore... a neighbours hen house literally took off. Whenever there is a gale it reminds me. I dread them frankly but we manage..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My sister is flying in to Knock tomorrow afternoon. Could be a hairy one for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

just looking at next tuesday (29th) and windguru giving 153kph gusts for the Donegal. that sounds very very bad.
    it was windguru i saw it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

You did not see that on Windguru by any chance?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My sister is flying in to Knock tomorrow afternoon. Could be a hairy one for her!

Early afternoon, before around 2:30pm I doubt there should be any problems. After that you never know.

12Z GFS shows a more southerly secondary depression following on early on Christmas Eve which would bring a second round of strong winds.

30-515UK.GIF?22-12

42-515UK.GIF?22-12

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Christmas Eva? High fives to the two Mets!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would say this is not trending towards a big event but would marginally verify the level 2 in the most exposed locations perhaps.

The reference to 29th -- the 06z GFS at 168h (about to be eclipsed by the 12z run) was showing an absolutely over-developed low west of the Mayo coast (moving north) with isobars so close together that they scream "cannot happen in nature" but for the record if the event did materialize just like that, gusts to 200 km/hr would be possible in exposed areas. I will edit in a comment on the 12z run when it goes past that time frame.

The models have been toying with major windstorm potential for days now, near the end of the month/year, spawned by what is more likely to verify, a very deep low in the west-central Atlantic that loops around between 30 and 20 W at some point taking aim at Iceland. The 06z GFS concept is a "secondary" that forms in the strong southerly gradient ahead of the same Atlantic low.

I sure hope it is wrong because the wind potential on the map is 1839-like for the west coast anyway.

(later edit) As noted by other posters in the meantime, the 12z GFS drops the worst of this and brings it in later, although it would be a level one sort of event for the 29th. Something to keep an eye on, for now the really severe potential is off the table rather than off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

with isobars so close together that they scream "cannot happen in nature"
    gusts to 200 km/hr would be possible in exposed areas
    major windstorm potential
    very deep low
    wind potential on the map is 1839-like

Better hope journalists dont read this. They will be recommending evacuation to the moon for the 29th! Potential is there to get very messy though :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very clear edge to the cold front as it passes over with a drop off on wind speeds for a time untill the second low comes into effect after a couple of hours for parts of the country although winds lighter and very fast moving system. Wonder will the initall cold front produce squall lines ?

mKwX1lg.gif

6yybDQr.gif

FMdBm2B.gif

stooge wrote: »
    Better hope journalists dont read this. They will be recommending evacuation to the moon for the 29th! Potential is there to get very messy though :eek:

It's already changed on the 12Z GFS. That potential really belongs in the FI thread because it's highly uncertain.

12Z ECM doesn't have that secondary low on Christmas Eve which the GFS had.

EURO4 doesn't have it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

So, I edited in a reality check on that earlier post ... thought it was worth a mention in case readers stumbled across it elsewhere without the qualifiers.

At the moment then it appears more like a minor ramping up of wind speeds on the 29th to easily-survived level one conditions.

To be Frank, I'm not sure if it gets a name or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭dubal

So, I edited in a reality check on that earlier post ... thought it was worth a mention in case readers stumbled across it elsewhere without the qualifiers.

At the moment then it appears more like a minor ramping up of wind speeds on the 29th to easily-survived level one conditions.

Free puns too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12Z ECM doesn't have that secondary low on Christmas Eve which the GFS had.

EURO4 doesn't have it either.

Good! I would like to land in Dublin on Xmas Eve morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Early afternoon, before around 2:30pm I doubt there should be any problems. After that you never know.

2:45 is her arrival time!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    2:45 is her arrival time!

Looking at the 5pm aviation forecast update, there's nothing to worry about (17knots Gusting 29kts between 1pm-3pm).

When the 11pm update is out, I will PM you and let you know of any changes.

18Z GFS again showing that second depression crossing the country early on Christmas Eve. Not buying it unless the other models show it.

36-515UK_jrt7.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Either way a serious amount of rain showing up on Christmas day.
    Coinciding with high tides flooding looks possible

Here's how that secondary depression on Christmas Eve looks at it enters the hi res NMM.

JQq1m23l.jpg

HIRLAM not buying it at all.

hirlamuk-2-36-0_pcy4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Indeed Give it a name or not worth talking about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Pangea wrote: »
    Indeed Give it a name or not worth talking about :D
    I think MT was speaking with a little bit of tongue in cheek with his comment as the next storm after Eva is Frank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Ammmmmmm.... Ferry crossing from Holyhead at 2.30am Thurs morning. That's not looking good is it, is it likely to be cancelled do you think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement