Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Its going to be very marginal around here obviously but a nice surprise considering how much I'm dreading walking to college for the next few days with this ice, a bit of snow on top would give us a few days respite at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

yes I nice little topping of snow would be wonderful no more slipping or falling on this horrible ice bring the snow back for us walkers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No chance of a thaw then ? bugger :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

greendom wrote: »
    No chance of a thaw then ? bugger :mad:

unfortunately by Friday there should be a decent thaw on. although , hopefully it will only be a temporary interruption

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

unfortunately by Friday there should be a decent thaw on. although , hopefully it will only be a temporary interruption

Hopefully not :) come back Atlantic Stream all is forgiven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Fog still down here in Limerick, hasnt lifted since last night!

greendom wrote: »
    Hopefully not :) come back Atlantic Stream all is forgiven

Quiet you:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

smokin ace wrote: »
    i dont think this is the thread that you should be posting in unless you have some good snow news and by the looks of things you dont so please go

The good news is snow melts and Met Eireann had a lovely 7C over the country for next weekend which should end the reign for the Ice queens here for a little while at least :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

conditions in Dunshaughlin are lethal. The roads are almost undriveable with the exception of the M3. Footpaths are lethal. I am dreading the thoughts of a 2km walk to the bus tomorrow to get to college. At this stage I just want it all to end, wish we could wake up tomorrow to 12C to wash it all away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Gonzo wrote: »
    conditions in Dunshaughlin are lethal. The roads are almost undriveable with the exception of the M3. Footpaths are lethal. I am dreading the thoughts of a 2km walk to the bus tomorrow to get to college.

Put a pair of wool socks over your flip-flops Gonzo and you'll be grand.

The great philospher Snow Tzu in 'The Art of Thaw' says; "A defeatest attitude will do you more harm than a little-bit of frost". ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Min wrote: »
    The good news is snow melts and Met Eireann had a lovely 7C over the country for next weekend which should end the reign for the Ice queens here for a little while at least :D
    Well for a week or so only if the longer model term trends verify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Well for a week or so only if the longer model term trends verify.

True, looks like we are heading into another severe cold from the 12th onwards . Interesting model watching at the moment

[IMG][/img]recm1682.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Surprise snowfall Tuesday morning? Looks likely on the latest GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

snow ghost wrote: »
    Put a pair of wool socks over your flip-flops Gonzo and you'll be grand.

The great philospher Snow Tzu in 'The Art of Thaw' says; "A defeatest attitude will do you more harm than a little-bit of frost". ;)

Indeed:D or as chopper would say:"harden the **** up" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Strange that yrno is showing up snow for castlebar and just rain for us Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Do we have another "Polar Low" forming off the coast of Norway :cool:

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Pangea wrote: »
    Strange that yrno is showing up snow for castlebar and just rain for us Irish.

well, you are that bit closer to the coast. so the wind direction could bring in warmer maritime air. you and irish67 should go out to the atlantic and demand it ceases spoiling your chances of snow.

Its heavy sleeting here at the moment, some drops of wet snow in the mix too.
    Roads will be dire tonight again once it freezes.

• Advertisement

well, you are that bit closer to the coast. so the wind direction could bring in warmer maritime air. you and irish67 should go out to the atlantic and demand it ceases spoiling your chances of snow.
    but Castlebar is quite close to the coast too ,infact a lot further west than me and Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like potential for some decent falls of snow tomorrow.

Ulster looks like it will get plastered during the morning and afternoon. With Models suggesting upwards of 15cm of snow lying in place perhaps more.

The front then pushes south and dies slightly but in the Midlands and middle and northern parts of Leinster the possibility of a decent fall of snow exists, anywhere upto 10cm of snow possible, precip anticipated to arrive in Dublin at around 6pm.

Then some models want to create a feature clipping the east coast overnight Monday and into Tuesday, if winds can remain off the land in eastern areas this will fall as snow and more accumulations possible.

After thinking we were out of snow territory for a while, things all of a sudden look very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

I would recon that there was no thaw in Dublin today at all. Anybody have any idea what the max temp in Dublin today was.

In terenure no thaw whatsoever.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209
    See snow cover on their charts.

1700 Latest update from Met Éireann:
    Continuing very cold this afternoon with freezing fog persisting in places, otherwise mostly dry with bright or sunny spells and just a few wintry showers affecting northern and western coastal counties. Highest temperatures just 0 to 5C degrees, coldest where fog lingers.

Bitterly cold again this evening and tonight. Widespread dense and freezing fog with a widespread severe frost will make for extremely hazardous driving conditions countrywide.

Mostly dry overnight but outbreaks of rain or sleet will develop in northern and northwestern coastal areas late in the night and turn to snow in inland parts of Ulster and north Connacht in the early morning. Lowest temperatures -4C to -9C.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1205/live_weather_transport_updates.html

The dreaded word of inland, ah well better get the umbrella out for tomorrow then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Now this would be some evening:
    MS_-854eur_g05.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

alentejo wrote: »
    I would recon that there was no thaw in Dublin today at all. Anybody have any idea what the max temp in Dublin today was.

In terenure no thaw whatsoever.

Nor here, think it was a freeze day today in Dublin, don't think Dublin Airport rose above -1c.

Temperatures could dip to -12c tonight in some inland parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

went from my house to gorey which is about 8 miles drive on a main road to get a few bits for Christmas
    holy fcuk the roads are lethal coming home and it was only 5pm i am not liking the thought of driving to work at 7 in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Rain? Hmm. That's what I had myself convinced I would get on early Friday too and I got 3-4 inches of snow. Guess it depends what angle it hits me at. N NW or NW. We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I started to cry reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

stayed at -3C here all day, all trees which were clear yesterday were today covered in a sheet of frozen frost and fog.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement