Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Weather Discussion - Widespread Snow Tonight/Tuesday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

johnstown castle reporting -12 at 10 am

that can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

that can't be right.
    Johnston Castle is in Wexford, isn't it?.... cos if it is really -12 then that amounts to a lot of frozen pipes in those vacant holiday homes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Currently snowing in Sligo.

Dry flakes, sticking immediately on the frozen ground.

Very very slippy now

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Slidey wrote: »

Very very slippy now

Slidey says it's slippy in Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

F-Stop wrote: »
    Slidey says it's slippy in Sligo.

Slippy snow makes Sligo a no-go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Very very slippy now

Yet at the airport it's still raining (with the odd snowflake mixed in) and the ground is wet, not freezing over.

amazing the difference a few kilometers make

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

jambofc wrote: »
    a lite dusting of hail here overnight,-1/-3 at the mo and gone cloudy

my reading of this "event" tonight is that there will be some snow around but also a bit of rain/sleet,as this passes temp will drop more and then the north-north/east and then the east will see some more snow tomorrow.
    A dose of reality if I may say so myself. These fronts that approach from the north always have a bubble of warm air embedded (aka warm sector)
    It happened as recently as this Saturday night when it rained here in Dublin thawing some of the lying snow. I cannot see why this wont happen tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

We are seeing another different evolution from GFS 06Z Operational - marked lack of consistency from GFS in the past 12+ Hours.

For the moment, I would be happy to side with the ECMWF 00Z and UKMO 00Z Evolutions. It's very rare that ECMWF has the general pattern wrong at T+120. Indeed, at the moment, it's still verifying the best in the Northern Hemisphere as far out as Day 6:

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS/html/acz6.html

Also, GEM is doing very well at the moment and had shown the trend as displayed by GFS 06Z, but has now reverted to a very potent Easterly by T+120.

Again, the exact positioning of the High is instrumental for a continuing snow risk & for those reasons it would be better to see UKMO/ECMWF being correct. In fact, if UKMO was correct as T+120, many areas would be at risk of snowfall.

Expect the UKMO Long Range later to mention bitterly cold weather in the first week, with further snowfall in Eastern areas, but perhaps slightly less cold in the second week, with a reduced risk of wintry showers for a time.

Hopefully we will have the evolution resolved by this afternoon's 12Z runs. Also interesting to see GFS now modelling more widespread snowfall potential in Eastern and Southeastern areas into tomorrow.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

UK Meso still progging this polar low type feature tomorrow morning off West Scotland pushing south across the country.

Where the precip falls is uncertain.

18z last night had it to the west, 0z to the east, 6z down the middle!

10010506_0406.gif

10010512_0406.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The 00Z NAE has mostly rainfall for Ireland until tomorrow morning, then the snow starts in earnest.

10010500_0400.gif

10010512_0400.gif

The GFS is a snowier outlook overall. It will be interesting to see which wins out. Don't forget there will be a slight warm front before the cold front, so don't be surprised to see the NAE scenario become reality.

10010421_0406.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Light snow falling here atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Looks like Sligo, North Roscommon, Northern half of Leitrim and parts of Mayo will see a dusting between now and midday. I have noticed that dew points have started to rise in the Donegal Bay area (namely Manor Hamilton and Finner Camp). They are now at +1c unlike the Collooney Bypass at -3c

3hr-rain.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

that can't be right.

No, it can't. Johnstown is automated isn't it? Maybe it is reading the ground temperature. Should be around -2 I would of thought - could be a typo as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Morning all from Newbridge,

Well its our 4th day of lying snow from the NYE event !

Temp -3.3

DP -4.5

The M2 buoy is reporting a temp of 4.1 with a dp of -3.2 and a sea temp of 9.5

EDIT: Any one heading southbound on the M50 towards Sandyford be careful as its reporting as Icy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Very very slippy now

Fairly heavy snowfall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Shows snow/rain showers in Ulster overnight but then turning just to rain as it moves down the country early Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

A dose of reality if I may say so myself. These fronts that approach from the north always have a bubble of warm air embedded (aka warm sector)
    It happened as recently as this Saturday night when it rained here in Dublin thawing some of the lying snow. I cannot see why this wont happen tonight!

have to read chart's with the head an not the heart,i think there will be snow around however,it's is going to be very localised.
    it is amazing how localised it has been in the last couple of weeks,one lad getting 3-4cm and only a few mile's down the rd nothing,or rain in one part of dublin(just an example) and snow in another say.
    have to say though im getting more excited by tonight and the rest of the week as it get's nearer.

im a 40 year old child and lovin it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm very confused, a lot of those pics look like I'll miss out on the snow once more.... seems to be all the east and southeast.... I'm on the Louth/Monaghan border, up on high ground. We haven't had a scrap of snow, it sucks :(

No, it can't. Johnstown is automated isn't it? Maybe it is reading the ground temperature. Should be around -2 I would of thought - could be a typo as well.

Oak Park in carlow is only at -3 at 10am, so it must be instrument error, and the lack of reported dewpoint in the PsMETAR below would hint at that.

PsMETAR JOHN 041000Z AUTO 34006KT 9999NDV OVC048/// M12/// 1023 MSL=

PsMETAR OKPK 041000Z AUTO 35004KT 9999NDV NCD M03/M03 1024 MSL=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Me likey:
    96_24.gif

Given that it really covers Galway too :)

Mind you, it gives 90% of snow on Thursday night, not tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Still as white as ever in Castleknock, Dublin,:) with no thaw and ice and snow everywhere except main routes. A little bit of snow last night as well. currently -1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Morning all from Newbridge,

Well its our 4th day of lying snow from the NYE event !

Temp -3.3

DP -4.5

The M2 buoy is reporting a temp of 4.1 with a dp of -3.2 and a sea temp of 9.5

EDIT: Any one heading southbound on the M50 towards Sandyford be careful as its reporting as Icy.

I have retreated from Kildare to my daytime lair in Clontarf !!

Big window beside me looking out onto the sea... hope I see something lovely heading our way !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The situation is:

Tonight
    Band of sleet and snow pushing south between midnight and 6am, band will fall as sleet or rain in the northwest but should be snow elsewhere.

Widespread accumulations of 3cm's, upto 10cm's in places.

Tuesday Morning
    Trough feature/ Polar Low(?)

Moving into Northern Ireland around 6am tomorrow pushing south through the morning, early afternoon. Exact track uncertain, likely to give around 10cm's of snow where it hits.

Tuesday Afternoon --> Wednesday Evening
    Heavy snow showers will affect coastal areas of the north and northwest, East and southeast. Accumulations of another 5-10cms widely with upto 20cm's where a streamer sets in.

So some places could have 20cm's on the turf come Wednesday night, perhaps more.

Here is the latest UKMO Fax chart, showing this feature moving down onto the North Coast. This is very much in line with the overnight UKMO Precipitation Guidance, so very noteworthy:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=24&carte=2000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

The situation is:

Tonight
    Band of sleet and snow pushing south between midnight and 6am, band will fall as sleet or rain in the northwest but should be snow elsewhere.

Tuesday Morning

Moving into Northern Ireland around 6am tomorrow pushing south through the morning, early afternoon. Exact track uncertain, likely to give around 10cm's of snow where it hits.

Heavy snow showers will affect coastal areas of the north and northwest, East and southeast. Accumulations of another 5-10cms widely with upto 20cm's where a streamer sets in.

So some places could have 20cm's on the turf come Wednesday night, perhaps more.

so in total if the snow is heavy tonight e could end up with 20cm if the snow is heavy tonight? now that would be good!

The situation is:

Tonight

Tuesday Morning

I think there'll be less snow than you forecast tonight. It's a marginal situation until tomorrow morning, according to the GFS forecast sounding for Belfast and the NAE snow predictions. From tomorrow morning on though I would expect snow to be getting well into the north, spreading southwards, especially if a polar low does form off Scotland. Tough one to call at this stage though, as it may hit land before maturing. Watch the satellite animations today for signs

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Here is the latest UKMO Fax chart, showing this feature moving down onto the North Coast. This is very much in line with the overnight UKMO Precipitation Guidance, so very noteworthy:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=24&carte=2000

Does the triangle/semi circle indicate being both a cold & warm front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

It's overcast now in Galway, with temp well around -2 (in a higher elevation part of the town, in Ballybrit). No thaw is likely since there is no direct sunlight.
    We're looking to be in a position just as good for snow as any other part of the country, so can't wait to see what the week brings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The situation is:

Tonight

Tuesday Morning

We've been here before, so I am not holding out hope. BBC have very little snowfall on the first feature for Ireland, mostly rain/sleet and that lovely phrase - hill snow. They have been quite accurate so far. Anything that has drifted south since this cold spell began has been a disappointment so far - picking up that milder maritime air as it comes south towards us.

As for the second feature - interesting. Polar lows are notorious difficult to track, so you may be onto something on that one.

I'm playing bad cop on this one, in the hope of jinxing my rain prediction.....

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Does the triangle/semi circle indicate being both a cold & warm front?

Not sure exactly on that particular chart, but to me it looks like a quasi-stationery front, meaning that it is fairly slow moving, however those symbols combined are meant to indicate an Occlusion - that is when a cold front catches up with a warm front. Behind this feature there is even progressively colder and more unstable air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement