Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

budweiser6 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with you - I'm a lurker for years but must say there is a different atmosphere on here lately which is a pity .. I normally absolutely love the build up which could go on for weeks on end and yes there is dissapointment however there is some seriously talented amateur forecasters who post here which the forum would be all the worse for if we didn't have them. Yes... alot of the time people are looking at models in FI but so what if it doesn't come true this is for snow enthusiasts like myself and just want some... well... hope!

Thanks to all of you... I still know jack about reading models in all this time but the discussions are always brilliant!

“Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Radio Freak

To all you snow bunnies, I don't think its not possible to predict a accurate forcast beyond a ten day period, as our Atlantic influence is so strong and the jet stream can be so volatile. Met eireann regularly gets even a five day forcast wrong, as a low pressure might change direction etc. There are so many factors that come into play. There is no way you can predict snow for this coming winter based on so called predictive weather models months in advance. This is all guess work and very misleading to people like me with a interest in the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

To all you snow bunnies, I don't think its not possible to predict a accurate forcast beyond a ten day period, as our Atlantic influence is so strong and the jet stream can be so volatile. Met eireann regularly gets even a five day forcast wrong, as a low pressure might change direction etc. There are so many factors that come into play. There is no way you can predict snow for this coming winter based on so called predictive weather models months in advance. This is all guess work and very misleading to people like me with a interest in the weather.

So you think its possible then :confused:

You don't have to believe the opinions posted, and everyone is entitled to their opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

For anyone who thinks there is no point to try to use observable science to attempt longer range forecasting, have a look at this :

1325_image006_2_3.png

And then have a read of this interview with Judah Cohen.

http://www.vwkweb.nl/index.php?page=537&sl=1

As I said earlier, I'm not a big fan of long range forecasting, but there has been some very interesting developments in recent years such as the SAI above which could help us get a better idea of the broad seasonal potentials. And it's purely based on science, not astrology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Calibos wrote: »
    That was just Today FM repeating a piece in the Star Newspaper today quoting guess who.....James 'Mad' Madden. Put no stock in it whatsoever in other words. Madden forecasts snowy Winters every single year to drive traffic to his pay site.

Thanks for info, as i don't read the star or know how madden is, but just the thought of getting snow as i've a very full house for the first time inc a lot of kids, could be fun in the NW if it happens. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

LRF's are part of this thread , all opinions welcome , the exception to the rule is giving credence to people who are trying to charge for there services

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

[BI would like to remind people to look over the forum charter as we enter what I like to call silly season on this forum .[/B]

Welcome to the forum and thanks for visiting!

This forum is for all who are interested in meteorology and those who wish to learn about and discuss weather events which are current, historical, local or global.

Here are a few points to keep in mind while posting on this forum:

1. Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.

2. Everyone is entitled to post and has equal rights whether they are weather experts or complete newbies.

3. If you wish you to challenge someone's views (on the topic of weather) then please question the post, do not just attack poster.

4. Stay on topic.

5. No trolling/goading posts which serve only to aggravate other users.
    5.1 Calling People Snow Bunnies will fall into this Category

6. No advertising or spamming.

7. If you have a problem with a post then report it.

8. No duplicate accounts (Breach of site rules)

9. In-thread discussion of a moderator's actions, whether it's an action taken against you or another member is not permitted as it drags the discussion off topic - it almost always leads to a ban.

If you are unhappy with a moderator's actions then private message the moderator in question to query it. This should be your first port of call for any complaints you have about moderation.

If you remain unsatisfied with the answer you can take it up with a category moderator.
    Our category moderators are currently Black Swan;Dónal

If you remain unsatisfied after speaking to the category moderator you can use the Feedback, Helpdesk or Dispute Resolution forums as appropriate.

Feedback is for general comments, suggestions, and a place to air your opinion on how the site is being run and what you find good or bad.
    Helpdesk is for more specific issues you might have with moderators
    Please read the relevant charter carefully before posting in either Feedback or the Helpdesk

If you have received an infraction or ban, please follow the Dispute resolution procedure

Note that moderators are normal posters outside of the forum(s) that they moderate and will be treated as such.

10. Signature Rules
    Please follow the above link to view full list of rules.

Enjoy the forum everyone and have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Love the new thread title.

Has anyone seen any snow on the peaks of Ireland yet (above 600m)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Red Pepper wrote: »

Hi. Yeah I saw pictures of snow on the Sperrins a few weeks ago. Also heard they was snow in the Donegal mountains around the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Red Pepper wrote: »

Caught a glimpse of Lugnaquilla today and saw nothing white. This weekend two years ago up there and it was a different story. It can be quite daunting up there when there is a whiteout like below. (lots of wind noise- turn sound down)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was expecting to see a tauntaun nor wookie appear in frame at some point. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

budweiser6 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with you - I'm a lurker for years but must say there is a different atmosphere on here lately which is a pity .. I normally absolutely love the build up which could go on for weeks on end and yes there is dissapointment however there is some seriously talented amateur forecasters who post here which the forum would be all the worse for if we didn't have them. Yes... alot of the time people are looking at models in FI but so what if it doesn't come true this is for snow enthusiasts like myself and just want some... well... hope!

Thanks to all of you... I still know jack about reading models in all this time but the discussions are always brilliant!

Me too and I study every chart and have done for 4 years looking to see if I can figure out the colours & highs and lows, so far I am failing badly everytime I think I got it right, I got it wrong, I will keep on being a lurker it is fascinating stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Ok can I ask why there are so many snow haters looking at a snow tread?

Because we need to keep an eye on you Snow Lovers, see what you're all up to and, if necessary, step in to break up any outbreaks of Snow Dances!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Nice interesting piece by simon in weatherweb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk3kYN9s1NI#t=629

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Snow lovers could head to the Northwest later this week and actually see some white stuff falling ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Villain wrote: »
    Snow lovers could head to the Northwest later this week and actually see some white stuff falling ;)

Snow lovers may also explode if they read MT's forecast this morning! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

DOCARCH wrote: »

Finally!

I just going to come right out and admit that at this time of year I shamelessly just scan MT's forecast for the buzzwords

"blah blah blah blah blah blah blah SNOW blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" ☺

or failing that

"blah blah blah blah blah blah blah GALES blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Of some consequence

Love it :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

shmaupel wrote: »
    Finally!

I just going to come right out and admit that at this time of year I shamelessly just scan MT's forecast for the buzzwords

"blah blah blah blah blah blah blah SNOW blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" ☺

or failing that

"blah blah blah blah blah blah blah GALES blah blah blah blah blah blah blah" ☺

Yes, Ctrl F + snow is on my needed script list for Christmas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Mmmm.......very interesting 6 -10 day forecast just issued by John Hammond on BBC Weather. Link just below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/30303588

He confirms that the North of the UK is likely to see a fair amount of snow next week as the Atlantic Storms pass through and cold air digs in from the north.

Dare I say it but could MT be onto something? :);)

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

derekon wrote: »
    Mmmm.......very interesting 6 -10 day forecast just issued by John Hammond on BBC Weather. Link just below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/30303588

He confirms that the North of the UK is likely to see a fair amount of snow next week as the Atlantic Storms pass through and cold air digs in from the north.

Dare I say it but could MT be onto something? :);)

D

I love John Hammond :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Needs an image........

exploding-snowman.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Scared Hitless

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Needs an image........

Needs a face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Needs a face

He's looking the other way....:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Scared Hitless

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    He's looking the other way....:D

Nice arse. Jesus he just blew up, I did not see that the 1st time!
    Poor little snowperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Still hope for a cold blast with a chance if snow going by MT thus morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

someone mention snow?? I'm snow deprived.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    someone mention snow?? I'm snow deprived.

With a username like Sunbabe I'm not surprised! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'm posting this here and the model thread as I'm not sure where else to. I note the White Christmas Forum has been closed with an instruction to post about it in the main snow thread.

I think this is all wrong on the following basis:-

1. There has been a standalone White Christmas Thread on this forum for at least the last 4 years (can't say before that as I wasn't aware of this forum up to 2010)
    2. Every other weather forum I know of sees this as a standalone thread. Indeed most weather sites have a dedicated Christmas forecast page and a dedicated thread.
    3. It is not a duplication of the snow thread. It is very different. It is posts about the weather on one specific day.
    4. I can only think it was closed down as a couple of general snow posts were posted there - but the solution to that is surely to simply move those posts?
    5. It is harmless fun and nearer to the big day it is usually a very active and enjoyable thread. To close it down is all a bit Ebenezer IMHO!

Any chance you would please re-consider Mods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"The rain will clear early on Saturday night but westerly winds will become even stronger, and wintry showers will soon spread from the Atlantic. As well as hail, some sleet or snow showers are likely to occur, giving a dusting of snow on northern and western hills. " http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ It's a start at least!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement