Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Esta Passport Upload

• 19-10-2019 11:11pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if it's been asked before... I'm trying to do a friends ESTA and it won't accept the photo of her passport. I've tried it a few times, sent just the information on the very end of the passport, and the full article... still won't accept. I'm pulling my hair out here..

Can anyone give me some tips? I've done this for myself and my parents but it was a while ago now and I don't remember having so many problems with it. :o

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

It's not mandatory to upload a scan/copy of the passport. You can just enter the passport details manually. Did mine last month, esta approved, no issues.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Get Real wrote: »
    It's not mandatory to upload a scan/copy of the passport. You can just enter the passport details manually. Did mine last month, esta approved, no issues.

Thanks. I've tried filling in just the red asterisk boxes.. but it's still telling me that there is information missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you using the official website... https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

As the other poster said, you shouldn't have to upload anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Try a different photo of the passport, had to retake one using a better camera, or scan the passport high resolution

xzanti wrote: »
    Thanks. I've tried filling in just the red asterisk boxes.. but it's still telling me that there is information missing.

Did you scroll back up the page to see if the missing/invalid field is flagged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have never been asked for a photo of any passport... something doesn’t seem right there.

Are you sure it is the correct Site??

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

NSAman wrote: »
    Have never been asked for a photo of any passport... something doesn’t seem right there.

Are you sure it is the correct Site??

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

Yes, there is an option to upload an image of the photo page from your passport on the ESTA official site. But according to the first responder (poster Get Real) above, it's not mandatory.

If it was mandatory, there wouldn't be fields on the screen to manually enter the data - passport number, date of issue etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, there is an option to upload an image of the photo page from your passport on the ESTA official site. But according to the first responder (poster Get Real) above, it's not mandatory.

Have never uploaded photo personally and would do a fair amount of organising travel for friends and family to the states...interesting, i never noticed this.

Edit :Ok....its changed since last time i did it...:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Just thought I'd update this thread incase anyone else has a similar issue.

The problem wasn't the passport upload. As per the replies, it wasn't needed.

The reason I couldn't proceed to the next page was that I had selected "No Employer" in her employment section as she has been a stay at home mother for the past few years.

I had to actually enter her home address as her employment.

So even though "no employer" is an option. It still wants details.

Most probably already know this; but I thought I'd share my findings anyway.

Advertisement