Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baptism Barrier - Secondary Schools

• 18-10-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the so called "Baptism Barrier" still operates with regard to secondary schools in Dublin/Ireland (including private schools)? The new act seems only to cover primary schools as far as I can see.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Yes the new Act only covers primary. If I remember correctly it was because there is a greater selection of non religious / non catholic secondary schools so while not being baptized may mean you wouldn’t qualify for a place in any local primary school, there would more than likely be at least one non catholic secondary school in an area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There are no non religious schools, be it primary or secondary.

For what it's worth, my secondary school was catholic and there were students that weren't baptised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

ET schools are equality based. No religion based enrolment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But they are not non religious. They are multi denominational.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

But religion isn't a criteria for entry which is what the question was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

lazygal wrote: »
    But religion isn't a criteria for entry which is what the question was.

I don't think that was the question asked. I took it as querying that if secondary schools were not legally required to remove religion as a selection criteria, is it permissible for their enrollment policy to include religion as a requirement.

But rereading you may be talking about ET schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

joeguevara wrote: »
    I don't think that was the question asked. I took it as querying that if secondary schools were not legally required to remove religion as a selection criteria, is it permissible for their enrollment policy to include religion as a requirement.

Yes, that is the question - or at least to give preference, if not necessarily making it a "requirement" (which in an oversubscribed class year would essentially amount to the same thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I would also like to know this. I need to start researching secondary schools. My children are not baptised. There are two Catholic and one Church of Ireland secondary schools in my area.

(Old thread but no point in starting a new one)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

I think it will depend on the school policy. Going back 30 years ago, the Catholic secondary school I went to required baptism but the local Church of Ireland didn't, so my non-baptised friend (scandalous at the time!) had to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Yes I'm thinking we might stand more of a chance getting a place there. There will be a new multi-denominational secondary school too. They are currently in a temporary building but I would prefer for them to be in their permanent building by the time my eldest is due to start. We had the same issue with primary school and the department of education left us waiting years. I wouldn't be happy to go through that again, especially for secondary school.

Would anyone have any insight for baptism barriers in private secondary schools too? From reading a few of their websites they seem to strictly enforce a religious ethos. I was (maybe wrongly) thinking that if you are paying, they might be more lenient about this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement